MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering Maintain Academics 19 04-07-2011 01:24 PM
Engineering & Engineering Coop Rubicon Academics 3 04-06-2011 10:06 AM
Civ Engineering II Sasha Academics 8 07-05-2010 11:44 PM
Engineering Co-op TedMosby First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-09-2010 01:46 PM

What is engineering REALLY?

Old 07-02-2011 at 06:31 PM   #1
De La Soul

Liked: 1 Time

What is engineering REALLY?
So my little sister is going into grade 12 next year and she's looking at doing engineering, but it's so hard to find information on what engineers REALLY do and what engineering undergrad programs are like. I know there are several different streams you can possible go into (civil, chemical, etc), but was just wondering if there are any engineers on here who could talk about their specific field and what classes they take first/second year. Thanks
Old 07-02-2011 at 06:34 PM   #2
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Depends on the engineering. Basically, we make stuff.

Civil engineers for example make sure the building you are sitting in doesn't fall on your head. Bridges too.

Mechanical engineers make cars.

Etc.

De La Soul says thanks to MiniDragon for this post.
Old 07-02-2011 at 06:36 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Here are the list of first year courses: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1197.html

Second year courses, however, depend on the Engineering stream that your sister is interested in.

De La Soul says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-02-2011 at 08:36 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

engineering is hell. unless she is well rounded in all subjects she will suffer (stress workload etc)
Old 07-02-2011 at 09:01 PM   #5
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

She'll like ENGINEER 1B03, Introduction to Drinking Beer.

Ish001, L'Étoile like this.
Old 07-02-2011 at 09:49 PM   #6
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Engineering is not for the faint hearted, people who work well under stress, tight deadlines and challenging career, then engineering is for you.

Old 07-02-2011 at 10:45 PM   #7
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by De La Soul View Post
So my little sister is going into grade 12 next year and she's looking at doing engineering, but it's so hard to find information on what engineers REALLY do and what engineering undergrad programs are like. I know there are several different streams you can possible go into (civil, chemical, etc), but was just wondering if there are any engineers on here who could talk about their specific field and what classes they take first/second year. Thanks
I think there's a LOT in these forums about engineering at school, and even a decent amount on job opportunities if you do a little searching. I know I've talked about it before!

Engineers, in short, can really become anything. Your engineering degree means that you are a good learner. Engineers become doctors, lawyers, CEOs, teachers, astronauts.... as well as just engineers

A wiki search should help you with most engineering streams (civil, mechanical). Some are a little different or odd (chemical =! chemistry! Actually means processes. Materials means chemistry on an atomic scale), but the course calendar on the website (I believe linked above) helps you see what kind of courses you take. Final year courses will be the best indicator of real world skills (eg/ I took steelmaking and ceramics, and now have basic working knowledge of those processes).

Hope that helps Great decision for engineering! It's a lot of stress, but you're by no means in it alone, and everyone works together to help each other get through. Also, work hard = play hard!!

gl @ your sister!

De La Soul says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 07-02-2011
usahockey
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-03-2011 at 05:56 PM   #8
De La Soul

Thanks for the responses, I think I should of been more clear about what I was asking lol I mean for anyone who is willing to respond - what is their stream of engineering like? How geared is it towards physics (she's well rounded but enjoys physics more than chem). Every department tends to have certain generalities i.e. health science students do a lot more group work, English students have at least 2/3 essays per course that don't require outside sources etc etc
Old 07-03-2011 at 06:06 PM   #9
wolfgang

Liked: 3 Times

Have your sister look at www.missionfireball.c om and look under the "Career Blueprint" tab. There are a few videos to watch and she can look through the different engineering programs at McMaster, what careers they lead to and what types of fields you can go to into.

Talon89 likes this.
Old 07-03-2011 at 06:13 PM   #10
leuy

Like everyone said, there are many streams that you can go into with engineering. Chemical, civil, computer, software, electrical, eng physics, materials, mechanical, biomed are some for an example.

Because she like physics, your sister would probably want to look into eng phys. With engineering physics you get to take about every physics course and then focus on something specific. I know you can go into things like nuclear engineering with eng phys.

However, first year engineering has two physics courses. One has to deal more with projectile motion and forces, while the other one is more electrical. I found having both courses a great intro to upper year programs. I didn't really like the forces physics, so i decided to go into electrical/bio engineering next year and so i'll be focusing on electrical physics, like circuit analysis.

As for stereotypes, everyone has to know their stuff. It can get stressful and overwhelming at times, but with engineering you know that everyone's in the same boat, so there's always someone to help and to study with. I pretty much did all my assignments with my eng friends.

Hope that helped!
Old 07-03-2011 at 06:41 PM   #11
Talon89

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by De La Soul View Post
Thanks for the responses, I think I should of been more clear about what I was asking lol I mean for anyone who is willing to respond - what is their stream of engineering like? How geared is it towards physics (she's well rounded but enjoys physics more than chem). Every department tends to have certain generalities i.e. health science students do a lot more group work, English students have at least 2/3 essays per course that don't require outside sources etc etc
Lots of independent work, lots of group work, heck, just lots of work!
Old 07-06-2011 at 10:00 PM   #12
tomwalczak

Engineering scares me Hope i can manage my course next semester. First year!
( I don't have an answer to the question or anything interesting to add to the thread, just trying out my first post )

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 07-06-2011 at 11:24 PM   #13
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalczak View Post
( I don't have an answer to the question or anything interesting to add to the thread, just trying out my first post )
Well here is your first "like"

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Faer, Ish001 like this.
Old 07-07-2011 at 01:47 PM   #14
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalczak View Post
It really doesn't take off too far from where you left off in highschool. I felt perfectly comfortable starting all of my classes. Everything was familiar and it wasn't like I was instantly expected to be able to start writing exams. It's paced very well. Mind you the workload is massive and if you fall behind you're in for a lot of late nights. Really things only started getting tough for me about three quarters of the way through first semester (around sequences and series in Math 1ZA3 -- I wish they'd taught us some of 1ZB3 before this so I would have better understood them then), and then second semester wasn't really all that bad either.

You'll have fun, work hard, and drink your face off.