MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exam Deferral Denial? MacNeuro Academics 7 12-22-2012 10:01 AM
Exam Deferral Prerequisite Question MacNeuro Academics 8 12-18-2012 11:04 PM
Exam deferral leehh4 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 04-23-2012 10:56 AM
Final Exam Deferral daniasa Academics 4 04-12-2012 12:17 AM
Exam Deferral Question robots Academics 5 04-23-2011 11:48 PM

Exam Deferral Inquiry

Old 04-10-2014 at 11:06 PM   #1
mannequin

Liked: 0 Times

Exam Deferral Inquiry
Hello. I'm posting here because due to some very personal reasons I do not think I will be able to write my Earth Science 2WW3 exam on the 26th. I was wondering if anyone has deferred the final exam for this course before and if anything was done to make up for it. Could a professor ever refuse to give a make-up exam during the summer? Does the deferral permanently stay on your transcript? I have never been in this kind of situation before and any advice would be helpful, thank you.
Old 04-10-2014 at 11:34 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Just write it anyways... last time i wrote in same room with people in that class they all stood up and left in 45mins....
Old 04-11-2014 at 12:51 AM   #3
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

The 2WW3 exam during the december period was all MC. The people who deferred wrote it in Feb and it was all short answers and a couple people said they weren't prepared for it at all. The prof will let you write the deferred exam as long as you get approval from the associate deans office (doctors note) but I highly advise not deferring it since its not hard and quite straightforward.
Old 04-11-2014 at 06:53 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

All deferrals for this session are written in mid-late June. The exact dates are on the Registrar's website. It's not a matter of the prof "letting' you write the exam in the summer.

Edit: The prof does decide the format of the make-up though, and it's not necessarily the same as the original.

Last edited by starfish : 04-11-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2014 at 10:23 AM   #5
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannequin View Post
Hello. I'm posting here because due to some very personal reasons I do not think I will be able to write my Earth Science 2WW3 exam on the 26th. I was wondering if anyone has deferred the final exam for this course before and if anything was done to make up for it. Could a professor ever refuse to give a make-up exam during the summer? Does the deferral permanently stay on your transcript? I have never been in this kind of situation before and any advice would be helpful, thank you.
it depends on what the personal reasons are. If you get approved by your faculty office for a deferred exam, the prof cannot refuse. It's not up to the prof to decide whether you can defer though.

It's much better to write the exam if at all possible. People almost always do worse on deferred exams from what I've heard, probably because it's been so long since you've learned the material and they are sometimes harder than the original.
Old 04-11-2014 at 04:26 PM   #6
mannequin

Liked: 0 Times

It is just that I cannot write it on that day due to personal/distant family circumstance. Is it mainly medically related deferrals that only get approved? Also if the deferral request is accepted, will that have any negative impact on my transcript? I have never been in a final exam deferral situation before so thank you for all the help.
Old 04-11-2014 at 07:56 PM   #7
KAB:)

Liked: 11 Times

It does and will always show up on your grade report as two grades The first grade is the before deferred exam grade, which is a 0 or F usually because it gives you a zero for the exam. Then the second grade which is your actual grade and is the one that is used for your average calculation etc shows up beside it. Don't worry about how its noted on transcripts, its a little funny looking but lots of people defer exams.

As far as whether they let you or not, unless you personally are sick that day and have a good doctors note (lots of people get these every year, I had a roommate who did this once per exam semester with a migraine) you have to have a very good reason for the registrars office to let you The prof has no say, you have to go through your faculty office.

For example, my room mate first year had her grandmother, whom had lived with her throughout highschool, pass away the day before her first exam. The registrar (Engineering) would only let her defer her first week of exams and she had to provide a death certificate. They made her write her second week of exams. So if your deferring it for a non personal " got sick this day" reason, they are going to want proof.