res applied failed rickiekwok Residence & Housing 13 06-08-2010 10:12 PM
Failed Course Banshee Academics 14 04-19-2010 05:58 PM
Failed! ??? BT23 Academics 41 07-03-2009 07:33 PM

Failed a Engineering Course

Old 01-10-2011 at 06:41 PM   #16
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

@threadstarter

No sweat man. In the end everything will work out, just know that you'll look back at this on the other side remembering how tight the situation was.

Setbacks like these are only as big a deal as you make them out to be. I squeezed by a couple of courses with luck last semester. Just keep pushing on the 600ton schuler press that is McMaster engineering and you won't be crushed. Academic advisors are an amazing help, goodluck with Term 2!

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 01-10-2011 at 07:24 PM   #17
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeatz View Post
will need to get a higher average than everyone else too?
You acceptance is based on the number of points you get. I think the way points are calculated is your GPA*# of courses. So a 7.0 with 37 units (259) will get more points, and have an easier chance to get into mechanical than a 7.2 with 34 units(244.8)
Old 01-10-2011 at 07:51 PM   #18
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

on a side note is your level two entrance average calculated only with your required courses or with your electives as well? Because the registrar's site says

"Admission to Level II Engineering programs requires completion of all non-elective Engineering I courses with a minimum Cumulative Average (CA) of 4.0."

Old 01-10-2011 at 08:24 PM   #19
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPat View Post
on a side note is your level two entrance average calculated only with your required courses or with your electives as well? Because the registrar's site says

"Admission to Level II Engineering programs requires completion of all non-elective Engineering I courses with a minimum Cumulative Average (CA) of 4.0."

That just means that you don't necessarily need to take the electives in first year but if you do, they count.

GCSM says thanks to RTinkess31 for this post.
Old 01-10-2011 at 08:25 PM   #20
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

alright, I wasnt sure, thanks!
Old 01-10-2011 at 08:40 PM   #21
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i was talking to a ta in materials and he failed d03 too. what happens was because you failed the school probably tries to outstream you (basically kick u out) by giving u impossible streams such as eng phys etc, probably because since ur completion of the requirements was last against other ppl
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:14 PM   #22
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
i was talking to a ta in materials and he failed d03 too. what happens was because you failed the school probably tries to outstream you (basically kick u out) by giving u impossible streams such as eng phys etc, probably because since ur completion of the requirements was last against other ppl
Haha, I'd hardly call Eng Phys an "impossible" stream meant to weed people out.

The entrance average for it is usually low (~4.0) because not many people apply for it, so they have no need for a cut off. That's why its usually used as a 'back up' by people if they're afraid they won't get into their other choices.

Once you're in it, its as easy/impossible as any other stream of Engineering
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:24 PM   #23
PHLN2

Liked: 0 Times

Eng Physic doesn't sound so bad.

I find the nano stream interesting. Wonder if it is a suitable path as a undergrad degree if one want to enter the Biomedical Eng field.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:44 PM   #24
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN2 View Post

I find the nano stream interesting. Wonder if it is a suitable path as a undergrad degree if one want to enter the Biomedical Eng field.
Nano is not even remotely related to biomedical eng...
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:12 PM   #25
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Nano is not even remotely related to biomedical eng...
Anything can be applied to Biomedical no?

Isn't biomedical engineering just engineering being applied to the medical field?
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:17 PM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln3 View Post
Anything can be applied to Biomedical no?

Isn't biomedical engineering just engineering being applied to the medical field?
I meant in terms of courses.. nano takes a deviation from regular materials engineering, which is more of the physical study of matter, instead of the study of biology, medicine, and medical technology.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:25 PM   #27
phln3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I meant in terms of courses.. nano takes a deviation from regular materials engineering, which is more of the physical study of matter, instead of the study of biology, medicine, and medical technology.
Oh. You mean at the undergrad level. Yea true I understand what you mean.

For Biomedical Eng, you need at least a Master anyway to even start in the field. From my understanding, you learn how to applied what you learn in your undergrad Eng to the medical field when you start doing the Master. So in the end you will get your training that way.

Nano seems really interesting even by it self. Stuff getting smaller and all. Though, I wonder how hard it is to find a job in comparison to a pure well known branch like Electrical.

You can even do Nuclear Eng! Job prospect still bad though. People are still afraid of stuff like meltdown and mutation.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:31 PM   #28
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln3 View Post
You can even do Nuclear Eng! Job prospect still bad though. People are still afraid of stuff like meltdown and mutation.
I don't think so... Nuclear reactors today are incredibly hard to screw up (in the sense that they epically explode and kill everyone).

That's the equivalent to people saying being a commercial pilot is a bad job prospect because 1 out of every million or so flights crashes.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:33 PM   #29
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN2 View Post

I have a friend in Eng Phys who's doing pretty much just that, so I'd say its very much possible.

I also know someone who got a double major in Eng Phys and Health Sci by using his Health Sci electives to take Eng Phys courses.. so yeah, there's definitely lots of room for overlap between the medical and Eng Phys fields
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:38 PM   #30
phln3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't think so... Nuclear reactors today are incredibly hard to screw up (in the sense that they epically explode and kill everyone).

That's the equivalent to people saying being a commercial pilot is a bad job prospect because 1 out of every million or so flights crashes.
Fear, once set itself, cannot be overcome by mere statistics. Especially true for the non-academia folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I have a friend in Eng Phys who's doing pretty much just that, so I'd say its very much possible.

I also know someone who got a double major in Eng Phys and Health Sci by using his Health Sci electives to take Eng Phys courses.. so yeah, there's definitely lots of room for overlap between the medical and Eng Phys fields
Smartie.

Definitely an interesting prospect for Eng Physics.

Seems like I can pull enough reasons to enter it (even be force) and be happy.