MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emerson and Main St. W. Maitland General Discussion 23 02-09-2012 09:23 AM
191 Main St W. emilyyoung Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 0 01-11-2012 09:13 PM
191 Main St. West Apartments Greco General Discussion 4 08-01-2009 10:04 PM
anyone live at 191 Main St W????? macculkin General Discussion 5 07-04-2009 02:50 AM
commerce failed courses Alexx8 Academics 11 01-01-2009 09:27 AM

I failed a main course for commerce

Old 01-02-2013 at 05:45 PM   #1
mavimalik

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I failed a main course for commerce
So first semester I was dumb enough thinking that reading week is first semester...this is my first year of commerce...I passed all my hard courses except Econ 1bb3, macroeconomics it was a lot tougher than computer science what do I do, i contacted my advisor she said not to worry, but...I am worried!!
Old 01-02-2013 at 07:45 PM   #2
hon0220
Elite Member

Liked: 1 Time

yes, don't worry. I hv few fds failed computer science , but they are still in second year commerce. You will be fine. Good luck=D
Old 01-02-2013 at 07:47 PM   #3
hon0220
Elite Member

but maybe you need to retake it in term 2 / summer. Just ask the advisor.
Old 01-02-2013 at 07:48 PM   #4
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

You should probably look into getting some help if you struggle in any of the 1st year econs (1b03 or 1bb3)

Entropy likes this.
Old 01-02-2013 at 07:51 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you might as well do it either in term 2 or summer school. as long as u meet the avg required for commerce which is 6 i think then u should be fine.
Old 01-02-2013 at 07:51 PM   #6
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

I'm pretty sure you are kicked out of the program. According to this document
http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/ug...olvlII_000.pdf

Failing any required course in first year results in you becoming ineligible to continue in the commerce program.
Old 01-02-2013 at 07:53 PM   #7
hon0220
Elite Member

Don't scared him/her.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 01-02-2013 at 07:54 PM   #8
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hon0220 View Post
Don't scared him/her.
This isn't about scaring it's about reality. Read the document, according to it, you are removed from the program.

ZSimon says thanks to fasailuddin for this post.

alyssarr, Zebedee, ZSimon like this.
Old 01-02-2013 at 07:57 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I'd recommend contacting an advisor and specifically asking about that document.
The pdf is very clear, you must pass all required courses on your first attempt, including econ 1BB3. And yeah, the OP asked a question, answering it honestly and citing a source isn't scaring them for the sake of scaring them, it's answering the question that was asked.

I'm more interested in why the advisor and the document seem to contradict each other. It's possible the document is outdated, but if that's even on the website then there's a problem.
Old 01-02-2013 at 08:06 PM   #10
hon0220
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
This isn't about scaring it's about reality. Read the document, according to it, you are removed from the program.
yes, but I have fds wf failed Computer Science or even Commerce 1E03. They are still in Commerce Second year, so that's the reality, the document is only for ... ( I don't know either,haha) I feel the same way when I knew that, but, that's the fact.
Old 01-02-2013 at 08:07 PM   #11
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

also
http://degroote.mcmaster.ca/ug/docum..._NP_July10.pdf
this is the handbook for first years for 12/13 refer to page 14. Pretty clear that op will have to transfer to another program.
Old 01-02-2013 at 08:51 PM   #12
mavimalik

The advisor told me, that basically if I maintain a high average like at least 5.0 above they will consider me in commerce level 2 as long as i take this course again in summer or next year in summer...

but i read the document as well and it clearly states that I will get kicked out but my advisor told me not to worry about it can 'HON0220' ...you tell me your experience what did you when you found out you failed did you have an apointment scheduled?
Old 01-02-2013 at 08:54 PM   #13
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavimalik View Post
The advisor told me, that basically if I maintain a high average like at least 5.0 above they will consider me in commerce level 2 as long as i take this course again in summer or next year in summer...

but i read the document as well and it clearly states that I will get kicked out but my advisor told me not to worry about it can 'HON0220' ...you tell me your experience what did you when you found out you failed did you have an apointment scheduled?
I have never failed a course. Here's why i think that advisor is wrong, the course is not offered during the summer, it hasnt been offered in the past 4 years i have been at mac. The people i know who have failed first year required commerce courses have been kicked out of the program and have transferred to economics. The faculty is very strict when it comes to its regulations. Students are reminded in 1pa0 that if they fail a required course they are out. Contact the econ department and transfer into economics.
Old 01-02-2013 at 08:58 PM   #14
mavimalik

One of the people I bought the economics books, the macro one said they took it in summer, are you positive about this?, do you think I should make an appointment as soon as I can and show them the pdf file and if they are for sure taking the macroeconomics course in summer?
Old 01-02-2013 at 09:01 PM   #15
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavimalik View Post
One of the people I bought the economics books, the macro one said they took it in summer, are you positive about this?, do you think I should make an appointment as soon as I can and show them the pdf file and if they are for sure taking the macroeconomics course in summer?
oops i thought you failed computer science, macro is offered next semester and the summer. The issue here is you failed a required course. You need to go into the APO office in the DSB building. Talk to an advisor in person. From my perspective you will not be able to continue in the program.