MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emerson and Main St. W. Maitland General Discussion 23 02-09-2012 09:23 AM
191 Main St W. emilyyoung Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 0 01-11-2012 09:13 PM
191 Main St. West Apartments Greco General Discussion 4 08-01-2009 10:04 PM
anyone live at 191 Main St W????? macculkin General Discussion 5 07-04-2009 02:50 AM
commerce failed courses Alexx8 Academics 11 01-01-2009 09:27 AM

I failed a main course for commerce

Old 01-02-2013 at 09:02 PM   #16
ShockValue

Liked: 5 Times

Yeah, ECON 1B03 and 1BB3 were both offered in the summer in 2012.
Old 01-02-2013 at 09:03 PM   #17
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavimalik View Post
One of the people I bought the economics books, the macro one said they took it in summer, are you positive about this?, do you think I should make an appointment as soon as I can and show them the pdf file and if they are for sure taking the macroeconomics course in summer?
Macro econ was offered last summer, my friend took it. Maybe it's only offered for people who want to take it as an elective? Not sure about that. I would say, before making any program changes, book an appointment with your advisor and discuss things with her.
Old 01-02-2013 at 09:06 PM   #18
mavimalik

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Thanks for your advice, well they told me like on the phone that i still have a chance but ill definately be going to the office and talk to the advisor in person..., lets say if all else fails and i transfer into economics, i can transfer whatever credit/ca i have and continue with first year economics...and is economics a lot easier?
Old 01-02-2013 at 09:18 PM   #19
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

The two first year econs are often viewed as (by most people across multiple faculties) the easiest courses available at the university. I highly suggest you get a tutor to seriously help you in the areas you do not understand (or consider another program like computer science). Being in Commerce, basic econ is a foundation course, even if you dont pursue econ streams. You should also brush up on your math skills. Whether they are weak or you have little idea how to apply them..its still a serious problem that will kill you in a MUCH harder commerce second year.

That being said dont panic. People fail required courses all the time. Academic advisers are good at helping you out, especially if your average is pretty good and the course is offered in the summer. Contact them (in person via appointment) and you may get a better response than you think.
Old 01-02-2013 at 09:35 PM   #20
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, well they told me like on the phone that i still have a chance but ill definately be going to the office and talk to the advisor in person..., lets say if all else fails and i transfer into economics, i can transfer whatever credit/ca i have and continue with first year economics...and is economics a lot easier?
I don't know much about commerce/econ or the difference between the two, but if the course you failed is econ, then switching your major to econ doesn't seem like the best move. I can't really say for sure because I don't know nearly enough about your situation, but it is something to consider. Just because most people would switch into econ, that doesn't mean it's the right decision for you, and there's nothing wrong with switching into a different program.
Old 01-02-2013 at 10:07 PM   #21
mavimalik

Honestly, when I got out of the econ exam, I heard some students saying that they didn't think they did well or some people just rushed and wrote it, well like my friends who are in commerce didn't think that macro was the easiest course, I heard micro is pretty easy as compared to macro...

macro did comprise of a lot of problem solving with long word questions that did contain of math, but I feel like I should have passed the course, I attended 4/5 tutorials did well on the aplia asssignments 80+ but the terms test were okay and I didn't see the final exam mark...it just showed a big fat F :/

but yeah in the future if im coming in difficulty ill consider a tutor or so and ill ask more for further advice with the advisors thanks everyone
Old 01-02-2013 at 10:07 PM   #22
mavimalik

Yeah i was thinking that too:/ if i go into economics lol...I just failed a macroeconomics course :| ...what programs can i transfer too then
Old 01-02-2013 at 10:09 PM   #23
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

just email the prof and ask her to confirm you mark on the exam. Even it if it is likely not to be mistake it's worth a shot.
Old 01-02-2013 at 10:28 PM   #24
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Yeah i was thinking that too:/ if i go into economics lol...I just failed a macroeconomics course :| ...what programs can i transfer too then
You can transfer into whatever you're interested in

It's definitely worth double-checking with the prof that you actually did fail the course, though...if you were doing decent beforehand, 70s-80s, then you would have had to really bomb the exam. Sometimes the wrong mark is inputted, a calculation error is made, or they could have even lost/misplaced your exam - which I've never heard of happening but it is possible.
Old 01-02-2013 at 11:45 PM   #25
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
just email the prof and ask her to confirm you mark on the exam. Even it if it is likely not to be mistake it's worth a shot.
This is a solid advise. Few years ago, a friend of mine failed macro and emailed the prof 2 see his mark. He just told the prof in the email that he would like to discuss his exam. When he spoke with her, O'Shaughnessy remarked the short answers for one of his midterms and gave him an extra mark; that was enough to pass him the course

When he went to her, she told him to bring both midterms to see if she can give him an extra mark. So just take both midterms with you, you never know what happens!
Good luck!

mavimalik says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 01-03-2013 at 04:15 AM   #26
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

if you failed econ 1bb3, you might seriously want to consider college. its basic math like addition. if you fail that then maybe university isnt for you

ZSimon likes this.
Old 01-03-2013 at 10:26 AM   #27
manda77

Liked: 0 Times

I took both econ 2B03 and 2BB3 as electives last year and I found the final exams hard. They are not the "easiest courses in university". It depends on your personal strengths. I am in the math program and I ended up doing well in the courses but some people in my program had trouble with the notion that each calculation had a significant meaning. Sometimes you are also not used to the profs tests like how the questions are asked etc...

Anyways, your advisor is definitely your best bet right now! Last year one of my friends in commerce failed calculus and actually got kicked out of the program but she wrote a letter and got reinstated since she has an above 10 average. I dont think that would be the case for econ, since to me econ seems less important than calculus as you need calc for upper year econs, finance, advanced accounting etc.
Old 01-03-2013 at 12:04 PM   #28
mavimalik

I know econ comprises of math, but I did well on calculus this term, and advanced functions I took it in highschool and did pretty well, the math in econ is basic, BUT it has a lot of word problems which i think is possibly my weakness and I have emailed the prof and if she wills hopefully she can discuss this in person about my mark
Old 01-03-2013 at 12:06 PM   #29
mavimalik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
This is a solid advise. Few years ago, a friend of mine failed macro and emailed the prof 2 see his mark. He just told the prof in the email that he would like to discuss his exam. When he spoke with her, O'Shaughnessy remarked the short answers for one of his midterms and gave him an extra mark; that was enough to pass him the course

When he went to her, she told him to bring both midterms to see if she can give him an extra mark. So just take both midterms with you, you never know what happens!
Good luck!

I`ll do the same thing as well! , thanks though for your advice appreciate it a lot
Old 01-03-2013 at 04:10 PM   #30
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Econ has definitely been toughened up in the first year classes over the past year or so. They're not the bird courses they were when I took them. In my experience, once a course is labeled as bird, you have a limited window in which to take it before the powers that be crack down on the difficulty.

That said, don't transfer into econ if you failed first year macro... Most people who transfer in are people who failed out of commerce and just had high marks in their econ courses, and most of them find the upper year material dry. Economics is a social science and just because some introductory econ is required for commerce does not make them similar programs.

mavimalik says thanks to Kudos for this post.

jim1, nadinee like this.