MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
failed course? sana.banana Academics 6 12-24-2010 09:50 PM
Software/Hardware/Business/Music Guys - want to help start a business? benjs Volunteering Opportunities 2 12-11-2010 09:05 PM
Retaking Failed Course Charbs Academics 13 08-04-2010 11:22 AM
Failed Course Banshee Academics 14 04-19-2010 05:58 PM
Failed! ??? BT23 Academics 41 07-03-2009 07:33 PM

Failed Required course in Business 1 Help??

Old 05-03-2011 at 01:09 AM   #1
schad17

Liked: 1 Time

Failed Required course in Business 1 Help??
Hey guys,

I am a first year business student with a CA higher than what I need to remain in the program but have failed calc 1M03. I am extremely worried if I will remain in the program due to my lackluster performance last term in that class.

I was wondering what you recommend I do? and how I may be able to be reinstated or even if I am kicked out?

Please help, I'm so worried and am not sure where to go from here.

Thanks so much,

Mike
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:12 AM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad17 View Post
Hey guys,

I am a first year business student with a CA higher than what I need to remain in the program but have failed calc 1M03. I am extremely worried if I will remain in the program due to my lackluster performance last term in that class.

I was wondering what you recommend I do? and how I may be able to be reinstated or even if I am kicked out?

Please help, I'm so worried and am not sure where to go from here.

Thanks so much,

Mike
If your cumulative CA is a high 6, or a 7, you can appeal to the committee for re-entry into the program. Anything higher than a 7 can gain you access back to Business I.

Desda says thanks to Cliu91 for this post.
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:14 AM   #3
schad17

Liked: 1 Time

Do you have any direction to which I can go about this appeal process?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:15 AM   #4
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad17 View Post
Do you have any direction to which I can go about this appeal process?

Thanks
Get in contact with Lori Hill: [email protected]

The cumulative average includes your failed course.
Goodluck.

Desda says thanks to Cliu91 for this post.
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:22 AM   #5
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

I thought you get kicked out of the program if you fail a required course...
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:26 AM   #6
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

your out of the program. My recommendation is to switch into Econ.
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:30 AM   #7
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
your out of the program. My recommendation is to switch into Econ.
Buddy, l2read before posting.

Secondly, how is going into econ relevant to this situation? Are you implying that econ is some sort of cheap substitute for commerce?
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:33 AM   #8
healthsci1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Buddy, l2read before posting.

Secondly, how is going into econ relevant to this situation? Are you implying that econ is some sort of cheap substitute for commerce?
1. http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...cAvBZ9HNV Odg

1. Failing Math 1M03 Which is a required course automatically results in removal from the program.
2. An econ Major with a minor in any Commerce related field( Accounting,Finance,HR ) is an ideal alternative not a cheap substitute
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:38 AM   #9
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Thats what happens , people fail eng , move to commerce then people fail commerce then move to econ

This is the same everywhere its a general concept

Desda likes this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:47 AM   #10
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Technically, yes, if you fail any required course you are kicked out of Business I.
What I am saying is that once you are kicked out, you can appeal for a re-admission into the program as long as you have a high 6, or a 7.

I've spoken with Lori Hill the academic advisor about this way back just incase.

These are her exact words:

Quote:
"If you do fail the course, which is a required course, you will not be permitted to remain in the Commerce Program. Students who are not eligible for Commerce Level 2 at the end of the Academic Year do have the option of submitting a Petition for Relief From Academic Regulation. The Petitions are reviewed by a committee and they approve very few, if any, petitions at all. They are looking for situations where a student has had an extenuating circumstance that has negatively impacted their academic performance. This would include a major illness or injury, death in the family, or something substantial. Supporting documentation would be required.

Another situation the committee will consider is if a student achieves a very strong overall average at the completion of Business 1, but has a failure in a required course. Students can submit a Petitions to request to be permitted to remain the program. However, students generally require a minimum overall average of a high 6+ to 7 average, which would include the failed courses.

Petitions are due by June 30th, and can be picked up from the Academic Programs Office, DSB-104."
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:48 AM   #11
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
Thats what happens , people fail eng , move to commerce then people fail commerce then move to econ

This is the same everywhere its a general concept
And where do science kids fall in this chain?
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:51 AM   #12
healthsci1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Technically, yes, if you fail any required course you are kicked out of Business I.
What I am saying is that once you are kicked out, you can appeal for a re-admission into the program as long as you have a high 6, or a 7.

I've spoken with Lori Hill the academic advisor about this way back just incase.

These are her exact words:
Dr Bontis is the one who makes these decisions, the likelihood of OP getting readmitted is slim to none unless he/she has 12's in every course. Dr Bontis is one of the most cut throat individuals i have ever met. It obviously doesn't hurt to apply but i would suggest contacting the Econ department ASAP. A girl on these forums failed Econ 2x03 and was booted from the program, precedence tells us that OP is most likely going to be booted.
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:51 AM   #13
healthsci1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
And where do science kids fall in this chain?
They go into Psych(Soc Sci)
Old 05-03-2011 at 02:02 AM   #14
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Quote:
Dr Bontis is the one who makes these decisions, the likelihood of OP getting readmitted is slim to none unless he/she has 12's in every course. Dr Bontis is one of the most cut throat individuals i have ever met. It obviously doesn't hurt to apply but i would suggest contacting the Econ department ASAP. A girl on these forums failed Econ 2x03 and was booted from the program, precedence tells us that OP is most likely going to be booted.
Cutthroat yes, but Business I =/= Commerce II
Old 05-03-2011 at 02:27 AM   #15
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
They go into Psych(Soc Sci)
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!