MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions :) Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-11-2010 10:27 PM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM
Bates Residence Questions Daman K Bates Forum 4 09-03-2009 03:45 PM
Residence System Questions. Juicebox General Discussion 10 05-14-2009 06:38 PM
the wht if questions??? shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-09-2008 11:06 PM

A Few Residence Questions......

Old 01-10-2010 at 04:48 PM   #16
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

My OSAP experience has been different from most, as I did not get OSAP for my first three years. I then went on internship, and when I returned I had made too much money to get much. I think I ended up getting a total of about $1,500 this year.

OSAP has an online calculator that estimates the amount of OSAP you will receive. You can find it at their website: http://osap.gov.on.ca
Old 01-10-2010 at 05:02 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
. I'm pretty sure everyones pretty conscious of their cleanliness.
You'd be surprised...very, very surprised...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-10-2010 at 05:04 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You'd be surprised...very, very surprised...
Truth.

Its a good thing residences are cleaned on a daily basis, some people are, errr, not clean.
Old 01-10-2010 at 05:36 PM   #19
deaner_123

Liked: 3 Times

Yeah, living in Mckay last year was awesome, though it was good that bathrooms were cleaned daily, otherwise things could have occasionally become disgusting.

My roommate and I took a video of our room before we left, so this can give you an idea of room-size. Keep in mind, we had a ton of stuff jammed in there, but it was a great size for two to live comfortably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_h4tevrEfI
Old 01-10-2010 at 07:28 PM   #20
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Thanks for the video. The rooms were about as small as I figured they would be lol. Are all the double rooms together like that? I've been to Guelph's res and they're double rooms have two actual rooms sort of divided, there's a wall and a door dividing the rooms.
Old 01-10-2010 at 08:20 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
Thanks for the video. The rooms were about as small as I figured they would be lol. Are all the double rooms together like that? I've been to Guelph's res and they're double rooms have two actual rooms sort of divided, there's a wall and a door dividing the rooms.
The rooms differ across campus in different buildings. Of the rooms I've seen in different buildings there's bigger and slightly smaller rooms than that in different residences. The Woodstock double room I saw was maybe a bit smaller than that room, its hard to tell based on the video though. If I'm recalling correctly my double room in Hedden was slightly larger than that, or maybe we just didn't have as much stuff so we had more room. The double rooms I caught glimpses of in Whidden when I lived there were approximately the same as that. I saw a double in Matthews once that was the biggest double I'd ever seen, it wasn't like a lot bigger than those but it was the roomiest one I remember being in. Doubles in Les Prince are quite spacious as well based on what I remember from the tour way back when, plus they have washrooms inside your room. Most of the doubles I've seen were a reasonable size. The only room on campus I ever thought was cramped was the double I saw in Woodstock, it wasn't completely unlivable but I definitely preferred every other living space I saw on campus. If you take a tour of campus you should be able to see in at least one or two buildings inside a residence room. I went to a March break tour of both Mac and Guelph and I much, much preferred everything about the McMaster campus including the residence rooms. Maybe you saw a different residence than I did at Guelph but the one I saw was dark and dingy and small and claustrophobic and weird. I think the Mac residences are overall nice, hell my single room in Whidden last year was bigger than my actual bedroom at home.

Small rooms aren't really that bad though b/c you don't really have to hang out in it 24/7 if you don't want to, you can always go elsewhere, a common room, a study room, the library, the eating places on campus, the student centre upper floors etc if you need more space or get a little cramped sometimes if your room.

Last edited by sew12 : 01-10-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2010 at 07:13 AM   #22
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

- No idea when residence forms come out. Probably some time in march. just my guess though

-I beleive as of last year you cannot choose what building you are assigned to. Otherwise there is no rstriction on waht rooms you can apply to, except it is a lottery process.

-Ideal room on campus really depends on whose living in there. For example, im in WOodstock...at first i thought i didnt like it but now i love it. Except for the really high beds...always gotta jump on those cuz im short

-Food is expensive on campus because 1) its on campus..there here to make money, 2) we dont pay taxes on the food so they add the tax to the price, and 3) we have a meal plan to use|| GOod size meal plan depends on how much u eat. like..i bought the second smallest and i knw im gonnahave tons of money left over. i just dont eat alot.

-campus is defintely safe...ive never had a problem with my last 5 months of res. so far.

-i was skeptical of having a roomate at first...but now that ive been in res for a good 5 months, im happy. i pretty much have a double room 2 myself since my roomate is only ever here 1 or 2 days a week.