MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help finding T13 changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-18-2010 11:53 PM
Getting my Girlfriend a Graduation Gift danallan Dating & Relationships 19 05-25-2010 10:01 AM
Ryan needs a girlfriend.. FAST! huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 16 03-25-2010 01:57 AM
ENG II Course finding help. Kurt_ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-08-2008 06:56 PM

Finding a Girlfriend ...

Old 01-27-2010 at 11:57 AM   #16
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
What resources are you referring to?
I was thinking of family connections, but maybe he can go to an Islamic centre as well? Like I know one Muslim guy I used to work next door with they would hold like dinners to get to know other people.

Old 01-27-2010 at 11:59 AM   #17
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Not in engineering ...the last time I counted there were 12 girls in a class of 135.
There are hundreds of university clubs and intramural sport teams (go to the C division if you don't know how to play at all!). Also, don't engineers go to the libraries a lot? If they see a girl that's occasionally there, they could try to make a friendship with her.

Overall, I think the more involved you are at the university, the more you'll increase your chances to meet someone that you truly like.

As a nerd however, I'm too busy studying my butt off to get that much involved. That means... no dates LOL.
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:00 PM   #18
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Yeah I've heard from a lot of upper years that dating an eng girl(assuming you are in the same year of eng) almost always ends horribly. Feel kinda sorry for the girls, they must get hit on perpetually.
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:01 PM   #19
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
I was thinking of family connections, but maybe he can go to an Islamic centre as well? Like I know one Muslim guy I used to work next door with they would hold like dinners to get to know other people.
If you're talking about the MSA (Muslim Students Assoc) and stuff like that...its a good idea...if he's gay that is. Ya, we do hold dinners, events, and whatnot, but the girls have it separately than the guys. I dunno about the Pakistani Students Assoc, but my guess would be taht its similar
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:03 PM   #20
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnian View Post
There are hundreds of university clubs and intramural sport teams (go to the C division if you don't know how to play at all!). Also, don't engineers go to the libraries a lot? If they see a girl that's occasionally there, they could try to make a friendship with her.

Overall, I think the more involved you are at the university, the more you'll increase your chances to meet someone that you truly like.

As a nerd however, I'm too busy studying my butt off to get that much involved. That means... no dates LOL.
I actually don't spend much time in libraries...i like the comfort of my home better, plus I don't look up much when I'm in a library to begin with....and as it so happens,all of hte clubs i'm involved in are related to engineering, which means we have the same ratio as the classes
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:05 PM   #21
Parnian

Quote:
I actually don't spend much time in libraries...i like the comfort of my home better, plus I don't look up much when I'm in a library to begin with....and as it so happens,all of hte clubs i'm involved in are related to engineering, which means we have the same ratio as the classes
Imasud, is there a reason why you only join engineering related clubs? How about religious or cultural clubs? Seriously... just curious. I get the feeling you WANT to remain single
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:05 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

My advice for finding a girlfriend would be: stop looking for a girlfriend.

Your friend can go out to clubs, dance with random girls, give out his number/get girls' numbers etc. But I don't know if that's going to find a girlfriend.

Most of my friends (and myself) are in serious relationships with people who we were good friends with beforehand. Tell your friend to join a club on campus for something he's interested in. Maybe not a religious/cultural club, as some posters are suggesting that's not a good idea. There are lots of clubs for sports, hobbies and other random activities. And at school, just be friendly and outgoing. He will meet someone when it's right He's probably more likely to meet a girl at the grocery store or the bus stop than he is at any of the usual "dating scenes".

adrian, lorend like this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:08 PM   #23
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
If you're talking about the MSA (Muslim Students Assoc) and stuff like that...its a good idea...if he's gay that is. Ya, we do hold dinners, events, and whatnot, but the girls have it separately than the guys. I dunno about the Pakistani Students Assoc, but my guess would be taht its similar
He's someone from back home. I don't know of how things are here. What's up with your take on MSA? Predominantly all guys I'm assuming? Yeah, well I guess he could always hit up those organizations you mentioned even on a say so basis.

Old 01-27-2010 at 12:11 PM   #24
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnian View Post
Imasud, is there a reason why you only join engineering related clubs? How about religious or cultural clubs? Seriously... just curious. I get the feeling you WANT to remain single
ouch...ya, there is a reason...it helps my resume in a big way, and I'm in Co-Op, so I need a resume, and the religious and cultural ones I just got dragged into. Don't worry Parnian...I'll be in Biomed Eng next yr, which means life sci and health sci classes...that should increase my chances (at least I hope, or else you will be seeing a thread like this in the future)
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:13 PM   #25
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
He's someone from back home. I don't know of how things are here. What's up with your take on MSA? Predominantly all guys I'm assuming? Yeah, well I guess he could always hit up those organizations you mentioned even on a say so basis.
Well...there are girls, I just don't know how many...cause we never really got to see them...as in the guys have a seperate events than the girls (muslim rule and whatnot)...and if he wants to hit us up, tmw is a good day, we're having some sort of lunch event
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:19 PM   #26
Parnian

This entire thread makes me laugh

Rossclot... next time just provide people with the NECESSARY details. Too much detail just throws it off board.

*hint hint* Like the person's religious affiliation.

lmasud likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:30 PM   #27
escape

Liked: 38 Times

lol @ this thread
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:40 PM   #28
escape

Liked: 38 Times

If your friend is looking for some sexy time than click the link below ( plus you can tag along as well if you want)
http://www.macinsiders.com/sr_classi...o =ad&id=2535

but on a serious note, he needs to get to know the place and the people first. Teaching him how to get a girlfriend isn't going to work.

Last edited by escape : 01-27-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Parnian, _Luu_ like this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 02:37 PM   #29
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

I think some people here missed the point. He asked me for advice, and I wanted to provide some. Half the answers here seem to be telling me things that my friend would already know; it isn't like I am trying to set him up with someone behind his back. The other half are either useless, or venting about things that are not an issue here.

Can someone just close, lock, or delete this thread?

I was looking for help and everyone seems to be venting their opinions about stuff not related to what I asked. I appreciate the effort, but no one here really understood the point.
Old 01-27-2010 at 03:39 PM   #30
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Advice for getting a girlfriend is simple: Be yourself, and be honest. Try striking up a conversation with someone (that's the part he needs to figure out) introduce yourself and go with the flow.

Tell your friend this: a girlfriend isn't a trophy or an accomplishment. There are reasons why many people are so patient. Take me for instance, Im 19 and I never had one yet..Engineers dont have that sort of time

**jewel 03** says thanks to kenvin100 for this post.

adrian, Gabriella*, Maegs, peters like this.