MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help finding T13 changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-18-2010 11:53 PM
Getting my Girlfriend a Graduation Gift danallan Dating & Relationships 19 05-25-2010 10:01 AM
Ryan needs a girlfriend.. FAST! huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 16 03-25-2010 01:57 AM
ENG II Course finding help. Kurt_ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-08-2008 06:56 PM

Finding a Girlfriend ...

Old 01-27-2010 at 03:45 PM   #31
ltswat

Liked: 0 Times

you cant hunt for a girl friend and you are not a cupid to mix n match, simple advice, let him be who he is, n im sure someone on the next boat wich will arive in about in about a hour will be his perfect fit
Old 01-27-2010 at 03:46 PM   #32
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Yeah.. I love how this thread totally diverted off the main question and topic. Here's how I see it, besides a few things already mentioned. Not sure of the details of the situation, but I've had a lot of brown friends and I know the religion, so I kinda get it. Meeting girls in the pakistani culture depends on how religious the person is. If he's not strictly religious (which I think is the case), tell him to get involved in 1- MSA (even though girls/guys are separated at a lot of events, when you're helping out with a certain event for example, you get to meet people, and that would be a good start to make new friends, and get himself settled faster and make the transition easier on him), another thing would be cultural groups, there's a southeast asia group I've seen around a few times. Maybe starting with someone from the same culture would be a good idea, just so there would be something in common to start out with. If it's someone from another culture, there'll be less common ground, and so, less to talk about/start a conversation with. One other thing, is talking to people in class. You'd be surprised how people respond when you just randomly start out a conversation. Of course there's always the cold people who aren't too enthusiastic about you talking to them, but the majority of people aren't like that. Seriously, it works, just talk about where you are in lecture, complain about a midterm (that's always a given! ), and from there just introduce yourself (name, program, on/off campus... ) it goes from there. Next time you see the person in lecture/lab/tutorial, approach them again. One time after another, you'll have established a foundation for friendship and from there it's pretty straightforward to go straight to the dating situation. That will also give him enough time to get used to the atmosphere, get to make a bunch of new friends and such.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 01-27-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2010 at 03:50 PM   #33
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
Well...there are girls, I just don't know how many...cause we never really got to see them...as in the guys have a seperate events than the girls (muslim rule and whatnot)...and if he wants to hit us up, tmw is a good day, we're having some sort of lunch event
There's a whole bunch of girls, like I haven't seen as many guys as girls yet. But then again, I haven't been to all the events.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:01 PM   #34
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I recommend telling him to own a corvette or play an instrument. Or just stand around with wads of cash.

I kid. Seriously though, I can't really help as I know little of Pakistani culture and how its dating rituals would differ from Canada's.

Best of luck to him (and you ) though!
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:03 PM   #35
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Remind your friend that if his parents find out there going to beat the living crap out of him.

Afzal, huzaifa47 all say thanks to healthsci1 for this post.

Old 01-27-2010 at 04:08 PM   #36
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

First off, not to sound like an extremist or anything but dating of any kind is strictly not allowed in Islam. (posters, please don't comment on this, I've read extensively about it...and if he wants to follow this religion, this is the way)

Secondly, if you're Muslim too (@OP), make sure you tell him the way to the place where Friday prayers are held (i.e. Smith Gym in IWC)

thirdly, read healthsci1's posts lol...he is so gonna be owned if his parents in Pakistan find out lol (sometimes that is not the case though)

sounds to me like your friend is thinking about his social status before even landing here, did he want to leave Pakistan because of that?
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:18 PM   #37
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
First off, not to sound like an extremist or anything but dating of any kind is strictly not allowed in Islam. (posters, please don't comment on this, I've read extensively about it...and if he wants to follow this religion, this is the way)

Secondly, if you're Muslim too (@OP), make sure you tell him the way to the place where Friday prayers are held (i.e. Smith Gym in IWC)

thirdly, read healthsci1's posts lol...he is so gonna be owned if his parents in Pakistan find out lol (sometimes that is not the case though)

sounds to me like your friend is thinking about his social status before even landing here, did he want to leave Pakistan because of that?
I don't want to turn this into a religion discussion, but it seems most so called "muslims" don't know what is and what isn't allowed by the Qu'ran, or they're just being ignorant. Drinking alcohol, smoking weed, and dating/pre-marital sex are strictly forbidden, yet all "muslims" I know still partake in these activities.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:32 PM   #38
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
I don't want to turn this into a religion discussion, but it seems most so called "muslims" don't know what is and what isn't allowed by the Qu'ran, or they're just being ignorant. Drinking alcohol, smoking weed, and dating/pre-marital sex are strictly forbidden, yet all "muslims" I know still partake in these activities.
like all religions islam has those that follow and those that dont. Just like how some jewish people eat kosher, while others don't, or how some Christians have pre maritial sex when its clearly forbidden etc.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:33 PM   #39
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Umm...if he is muslim, and you are trying to hook him up, he will most likely get his ass whooped when he goes back to pakistan. Make sure he understands the dating concept clearly b4 you actually set him up.

And about the set up thing: first find out what type of girl he is interested in. A lot of brown ppl in uni will only date brown ppl, so that should narrow your pool down significantly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
well here's a reply that you might like:
I am a Muslim and I haven't done any of these...those who still call themselves Muslims after doing these are just saying because of the fear of their relatives/parents finding it out...and if they realllllly think these things are allowed, then blame bad/unreligious parenting please
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:59 PM   #40
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:

umm...again i'm not sure if friday prayers and MSA are best possible routes for finding a gf....and please do remind of the ass whoppin he will receive if his parents find out...i've witnessed/heard of too many, and I can tell you it aint pretty
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:03 PM   #41
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
umm...again i'm not sure if friday prayers and MSA are best possible routes for finding a gf....and please do remind of the ass whoppin he will receive if his parents find out...i've witnessed/heard of too many, and I can tell you it aint pretty
no no, I was just saying that if he's such a good friend that he wants to set him up, why not guide him toward his religion too (that is, if the guy in question wants)

and people who are suggesting joining MSA for this kinda stuff, let me tell you...MSA does not approve of this kind of thing nor do they have co-ed gatherings
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:04 PM   #42
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Remind your friend that if his parents find out there going to beat the living crap out of him.
Probably not, if it's the son, they'd be all proud of him (based on the countless examples I've seen).. If it's the daughter.. now that's a different story...!

Afzal, so you're telling me ALL the people in MSA aren't dating/ have dated. Don't get me wrong I'm not supporting the whole dating thing, it just makes me laugh how people do all that, and still call themselves Muslim. But anyway, that's not the point of the thread, so let's get back on topic and try to help out with some type of advice, or say nothing at all if its of no help to the OP.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 01-27-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:08 PM   #43
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Probably not, if it's the son, they'd be all proud of him (based on the countless examples I've seen).. If it's the daughter.. now that's a different story...!
haha, some examples you must've seen...it isn't usually the case

I, for one, know that my mom would be very disappointed...my dad though would first tell my mom: "I told you" ...but that's not gonna happen

Last edited by Afzal : 01-27-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:13 PM   #44
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
haha, some examples you must've seen...it isn't usually the case

I, for one, know that my mom would be very disappointed...my dad though would first tell my mom (I told you )...but that's not gonna happen
I wish they were just a few, but.. I guess people change after living in Canada? I'm not of the culture, but I had a lot of friends throughout school who were, and that was usually the case. Eh, whatever. I'm glad the majority is as you said though. That's the way it should be.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:18 PM   #45
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Proud of him?? where have you seen that?..I can give specific examples where the guy got punished pretty bad. Just last summer, my friend decided to date someone...his parents beat the living crap out of him, and then sent him back to the homeland for the summer, so that he could see an Imam (samilar thing as a priest)...and learn the "muslim" way

Techincally sara, we are giving the guy some pretty good advice here: if you wanna stay alive and in Canada, you are probably better off not dating