MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone who has had these first year profs? Vuci Academics 12 01-11-2011 09:54 PM
Advice on some bio profs deone Academics 22 07-23-2010 08:54 AM
Profs cwong First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-07-2010 07:22 PM
Profs blast lazy first year students Lois General Discussion 1 04-11-2009 06:59 PM
can anyone tell me about these profs? sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-29-2008 10:52 AM

First Year Bio Profs

Old 05-29-2011 at 12:59 PM   #31
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

this may go off topic, but should i do full year physics or half yr physics if im aiming for med school..
And also, hows the physics profs? thx for all the great answers
Old 05-29-2011 at 01:04 PM   #32
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
this may go off topic, but should i do full year physics or half yr physics if im aiming for med school..
It really depends on what med schools you're aiming for. Look at the course requirements for each school, some require no physics at all, others require 1 semester while others require 2 semesters with lab. As for the physics 1B03 and 1BB3 reviews, check out the course reviews under the "Reviews" tab at the top
Old 05-29-2011 at 01:09 PM   #33
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

I have a friend who goes to western for biomed and their first year is almost the same as the first year life sci in terms of courses you take. The programs are different though once u get into second year and above. You might want to check out the classes that you need to take at western. This way you can decide based on what you're interested in!

In terms of profs, I've taken some courses with Dr. Stone. He's such a nice guy. He really cares for his students and he's very approachable. His tests are a bit tough though.

As for physics, most medical schools outside of Ontario require a full year of physics, also if you're applying out of Canada, most require either 1 physics credit with a lab component or 2 physics credits with a lab component. Check out: http://www.premed101.com/forums/ You can learn more about medical school requirements, interviews, programs, acceptances etc.
Old 05-29-2011 at 01:11 PM   #34
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Taking a full year is probably best for med school, regardless of admission requirements. I haven't looked at the MCAT myself, but there's a physics section and you could benefit.

I took physics 1B03 and 1BB3. 1B03 was terribly hard and 1BB3 felt like I was in high school again. Though you might end up taking physics 1L03 and 1B03. But if you do end up doing this, you'll miss out on some ideas such as dealing with electricity and magnetism and the intro to modern physics. So all I'm saying is just check out what you need to learn for the MCAT and take the according courses.

When it comes to talking about physics profs.. I think it really depends here at mac. You could get one that's great, or one that's terrible.
Old 05-29-2011 at 01:15 PM   #35
albalks

I'm doing my MCAT right now and there is a physical sciences section. It definitely does help if you have a background in physics. The MCAT is not necessarily a knowledge based test so you can know all the physics in the world but you can still do badly in that section just because of the testing method. However, having background helps because then you can work on "MCAT speak" -> learning how to decipher and answer MCAT questions.
Old 05-29-2011 at 03:04 PM   #36
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
personally, I'd say take one physics first, 1b03, and see how your performance is. If you do well, then sign up for the next physics, if not, then hold off on taking the next physics, maybe take it in the summer, or if you're applying to just ontario med schools, not take it at all.

Hughes and Rheinestadter were the two main profs that I went through for 1b03. Hughes does not post notes, Rheinestadter does. Hughes has a clear, understandable voice. Rheinestadter has a quiet voice with an accent. Hughes is the serious physics professor type. Rheinestadter is the jokes around type. You'll also get more in class experiments and theatrics with Rheinestadter. (He plays guitar, comes in on a fire extinguisher propelled car, hunts stuffed animals...don't ask)

Overall opinion: get rheinestadter if possible, his class is better even though it may require you to do a little more self learning. Sorry if i have butchered the spelling of his name.

tatski-p likes this.
Old 05-29-2011 at 03:09 PM   #37
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
Hughes and Rheinestadter were the two main profs that I went through for 1b03. Hughes does not post notes, Rheinestadter does. Hughes has a clear, understandable voice. Rheinestadter has a quiet voice with an accent. Hughes is the serious physics professor type. Rheinestadter is the jokes around type. You'll also get more in class experiments and theatrics with Rheinestadter. (He plays guitar, comes in on a fire extinguisher propelled car, hunts stuffed animals...don't ask)
WHAT, SHE DIDN'T DO THOSE THINGS? XD

Those are all the reasons I absolutely LOVED class. XD Every single lecture was amazing. Not to mention the day when he tore a page out of a textbook for a 'demonstration'... Everyone just gasped then started laughing. XD He's amazing.

EDIT: Yes, he's definitely recommended, if you still couldn't tell from my post.

BVictor likes this.
Old 05-29-2011 at 04:00 PM   #38
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
A piece of advice, if you are taking PHYS 1L03 (Life Sciences one) avoid Dr. Toppozini if you are new to physics. She stutters, gets lost in her own words and doesn't know how to explain things properly. She also didn't use a microphone which was a pain in the ass.

If you can teach yourself, and you did really well in grade 12 physics it shouldn't matter which prof you take, I would just say avoid Dr. Toppozini.

In my opinion the 1L03 course itself was run very poorly.
Old 05-29-2011 at 04:16 PM   #39
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason036 View Post
A piece of advice, if you are taking PHYS 1L03 (Life Sciences one) avoid Dr. Toppozini if you are new to physics. She stutters, gets lost in her own words and doesn't know how to explain things properly. She also didn't use a microphone which was a pain in the ass.

If you can teach yourself, and you did really well in grade 12 physics it shouldn't matter which prof you take, I would just say avoid Dr. Toppozini.

In my opinion the 1L03 course itself was run very poorly.
does 1L03 even have a lab component? He'll need one for med school.
EDIT: most of the time atleast, I can't speak for every med school. but most of the ones that require physics, need a lab accompanying.
Old 05-29-2011 at 04:38 PM   #40
TheCrucible

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
personally, I'd say take one physics first, 1b03, and see how your performance is. If you do well, then sign up for the next physics, if not, then hold off on taking the next physics, maybe take it in the summer, or if you're applying to just ontario med schools, not take it at all.

Overall opinion: get rheinestadter if possible, his class is better even though it may require you to do a little more self learning. Sorry if i have butchered the spelling of his name.
I actually preferred Hughes...she had a way of explaining things simply and clearly, and she immediately drew my attention without having to be humorous (though she did do some cool tricks once in a while =P). And it was an 8:30 class too. My being able to stay awake says a lot about Hughes' knowing how to lecture effectively.

I also liked how the iClicker questions she used were phrased similarly to questions on the midterm and exam (I swear that one of the midterm questions about a dinosaur and a mosquito was something she did on the board for us in class) ... in comparison to Rheinestadter's, which were straight from the textbook (I had Rheinestadter for 2 classes when he subbed for Hughes).

justinsftw likes this.
Old 05-29-2011 at 04:39 PM   #41
albalks

Quote:
does 1L03 even have a lab component? He'll need one for med school.
EDIT: most of the time atleast, I can't speak for every med school. but most of the ones that require physics, need a lab accompanying.
Nope, Physics 1L03 doesn't have a lab component.

If you decide to take physics 1B03, avoid Hughes at all costs. Although her teaching style might work for some people, those people are usually naturally more inclined towards physics. For someone who likes structure, Dr. Hughes provides none. No notes, and she's all over the place during lecture. Plus, she expects u to read the material before class and all she did was problems, some of which she would come up with on the spot. It's hard to always read the textbook before class so it makes it difficult to follow what she's doing. If this type of teaching style works for you, then take her class, if it doesn't, avoid it.
Old 05-29-2011 at 06:52 PM   #42
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason036 View Post
Oh...and enjoy the How humans evolved textbook.....

I can clearly hear the sarcasm as I read this sentence lol. Chapters 15-17 were actually interesting, however I have no words to describe how boring chapters 10-14 was.
Old 05-29-2011 at 09:09 PM   #43
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

okay I see.... but rheinstader's class is like 8:30.... Maybe ill go with his class then
Old 05-30-2011 at 03:57 AM   #44
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
okay I see.... but rheinstader's class is like 8:30.... Maybe ill go with his class then
Are you talking about classes in Sept? 'Cause during Term 2 when I took physics, Rheinstadter had classes at 8.30 AM adn 5.30 PM. Maybe it might be teh same then too?
Old 05-30-2011 at 04:08 AM   #45
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Are you talking about classes in Sept? 'Cause during Term 2 when I took physics, Rheinstadter had classes at 8.30 AM adn 5.30 PM. Maybe it might be teh same then too?
Not this time
Source