MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
TRADE FRENCH 1Z06 for SPANISH 1Z06 PLZZZ Liz.enriquez Academics 0 09-16-2010 05:57 PM
French 1Z06? jordan19 Academics 3 08-25-2010 10:39 AM
French 1z06 and Spanish 1z06 (credit confusion) oli13 Academics 1 07-02-2010 04:48 PM
French 1Z06 bieneres Academics 12 12-16-2009 12:47 AM
French 1Z06 niteskie First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-16-2009 01:52 PM

French 1z06

French 1z06
Best Elective of Life
Published by Mz.Morra13
06-10-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
100%100%100%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 100%
French 1z06

..The course that saved my GPA first year.
The Prof - Mme Gallier-Morgan
- Quite an amazing woman.
- Patient with her students, and has a great lecture style.
- Always willing to answer questions and offer help.
- Present during midterms and exams.
- Impeccable sense of couture.
- Takes the bus home! haha

Course Breakdown
- You're given a softcover workbook that's 16 chapters long.
- Is exactly what the title says - beginner's french.
- You start off with learning how to say "what is your name (comment vous appelez vous?)" and end off with la future simple
- Classes are twice a week.
- No tutorial
- Class usually starts off with Mme teaching a new concept, then she gets the entire class to practice it.
- She'll usually then ask questions to each person. It's really good practice in my opinion.. cuz though ur not being asked you can answer the question in your hand. It does get tedious though.
- Almost everything is oral.. which helps you think in french on the spot.
- Also watch little slide shows that portray stories in our other workbook. Usually watch it twice, then questions are asked about the story afterward.

Assignments
You're given a French CD which contains various grammar assignments to complete.. but not for marks.
The Catch? her tests, midterm, and exam contain questions word for word from this CD.
The 2nd catch? There are quite a bit of questions and it can get annoying to go through all of them.

Tests:
There are two of them throughout the year.. one in october, one in february.
Extremely easy to do well on if you complete the assignments on the CD.. i'd give it about 2 or 3 days before if you're looking for a 90. You probably could pull an 80 by doing it the day before / day of.
The second test contains a written piece.. only a paragraph I believe. And she'll tell you what the topic is so you can prepare beforehand.

Midterm:
- during christmas exams
- you get two hours for it..she says it's designed to finish it in one. I was done in 20 minutes.. so its not that difficult
- Again, based purely on the CD assignments
- Also a written piece that she tells you about and prepares you for in advance. The topic pertains to one of the stories read in class.

Final Exam:
- 3 hours .. says it can be done in 1.5 .. same thing as above haha.
- Based ont he CD assignments.
- Previous exams are posted on the Library Reserves website.
- two written pieces that are given before hand.. one is on a story the other is some other easy topic to write about.

Overall:
A great elective if you only took gr 9 / 10 french. Doesn't take up too much time during the week.. Isn't that demanding.. and is enjoyable. The follow up course is French 2Z06.

adeelb, Afrisa, Cristina_n13, etoilex3, Ownaginatios, pinkshuniza, sinsintome, sinthusized, xhorizon all say thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.

Tanya likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for French 1z06!

Old 06-10-2009 at 01:35 PM   #2
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times
Whoops I forgot a Mark Break down.
- Tests (20% Each)
- Midterm and Final (25% Each)
- Participation (10% Each)

Quick note on participation:
- If she knows your name, you will probably get the 10%. So answer questions!
Old 06-17-2009 at 07:33 PM   #3
mesopotamia

Liked: 0 Times
is there any presentations involved in this course?
Old 06-17-2009 at 08:13 PM   #4
Mz.Morra13

not at all
i believe 2z06 has a presentation, the follow up course

Old 06-21-2009 at 01:14 PM   #5
Danielle M

Liked: 0 Times
Thanks this is really helpful!
Old 06-22-2009 at 07:04 PM   #6
Roderick

Liked: 3 Times
so the coures is a 6 credit cours, so it goes all the way til second semester from the first right?

so in terms of your GPA, how do they count 6 credit courses? do they count it as two 3 credit course marks?( the same one?) or is it the same as taking a 3 credit course.

sorry just a little bit confused.

also, i only took gr 9 french.. did well in it but I didn't continue, and probably forgot most of the conjugation/grammar parts of the course but I still remember the pronounciation/ meanings of most words. Do you still recommend the course?
Old 06-22-2009 at 08:05 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
so the coures is a 6 credit cours, so it goes all the way til second semester from the first right?

so in terms of your GPA, how do they count 6 credit courses? do they count it as two 3 credit course marks?( the same one?) or is it the same as taking a 3 credit course.
Yes, it's a full year course.

The easiest way to calculate your GPA is to multiply your mark by the number of units in the course, add them all up and then divide by the total number of units. (It counts twice as much as a 3unit course)
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:51 PM   #8
Mz.Morra13

Quote:

sorry just a little bit confused.

also, i only took gr 9 french.. did well in it but I didn't continue, and probably forgot most of the conjugation/grammar parts of the course but I still remember the pronounciation/ meanings of most words. Do you still recommend the course?
That was pretty much the same situation as me, except I took gr 10 and I use it the odd time in conversation. So yeah, even though you've forgotten the grammar the course is designed to teach you as if you have no exposure to it whatsoever. So yes, i definitely still reccomend it
Old 06-23-2009 at 01:10 PM   #9
Roderick

ah thanks!

=) thanks for the quick reply as well!

anyone know the answer to my GPA question though?
Old 06-23-2009 at 01:38 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
I answered it...
Old 06-24-2009 at 07:50 AM   #11
Mz.Morra13

Quote:
ah thanks!

=) thanks for the quick reply as well!

anyone know the answer to my GPA question though?
oh no problem !
If you end up taking it, I guarantee you will love the course. As for GPA, looks like Jeremy did answer but just to emphasize.. 6 credit courses u get 2 marks basically..one at midterm, one at final. It's a bonus if u do well because that's an extra free mark. But yeah like jeremy said, u add up all your marks over the year (if ur doing full course load it will be 10 courses), you multiply by 3, and then divide by 30. that gives you your GPA out of 12.

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart

this link shows you the conversion chart as well.
hope that helps!

starlight says thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:44 PM   #12
Roderick

oh hah!

Thanks=) didnt see your post!

thanks for the quick response to both of my questions LOl

faith likes this.
Old 06-27-2009 at 12:21 AM   #13
Quester

Liked: 6 Times
Wasn't writing a bit difficult though?
Old 06-28-2009 at 02:15 PM   #14
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
I've signed up for this course as an elective and I'm really excited! Just out of curiosity Mz.Morra13, what verb tenses did you guys learn and how would you rate your fluency in French after the course? Also, is the paragraph for the test marked more heavily on grammar or like on how a typical English paragraph is marked (like ideas, blah)? Thanks so much!

Last edited by sinthusized : 06-28-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2009 at 07:58 AM   #15
Mz.Morra13

lol ideas.. were hers its was pretty much marked on grammar. she's fair though like u get one mark off for every 2 mistakes or something like that or half a mark its something fair like that. and if u make the same mistake like a lot she'll only take off marks the one time u do it.
and verb tenses we did passé composé, imparfait, plus que parfait, futur proche, futur simple, futur anterieur or something.. and of course present .
i'm so glad u did! i couldn't take 2z06 this year (stupid full course load first term.. grrrrr). do u know anything about women's studies?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search