MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a part time or full time job killza Volunteering Opportunities 1 06-24-2010 02:05 PM
Full time student John H Academics 7 01-13-2010 01:50 PM
am i full time or part time????? macculkin General Discussion 9 09-14-2009 10:09 PM
Full time student.... sarah1111 Academics 4 06-21-2009 06:18 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

Full-time student

Old 07-14-2009 at 09:50 AM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You're incorrect.

According to the MSU its 21 or more units.
That's incorrect. For the MSU a full time student is considered 18 units. You need to be a member of the MSU to run for office, and in order to run for office, you need 18 units.

As previously stated by others, to be considered a full-time student by the University, you are required to take 24 units. I dealt with this already this summer because I'm only taking 21 units, since I don't need any more courses than that to finish my degree.
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:56 AM   #17
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I thought MSU was 18 actually. Why do they differ from the university? I assume that the university's number is more, erm, important than the MSU as a whole.
There's a few reasons why the MSU would have a lower unit requirement than the University for membership purposes.

The MSU represents full-time students only. Part-time students are represented my MAPS (McMaster Association of Part-Time Students). The 18 unit definition comes from an agreement between these two bodies.

Having a lower unit requirement for MSU membership does a few things: it allows more students to run for office or otherwise participate in the MSU; it provides more income for the MSU via membership fees; it provides its services to more students; and those are just the few that I could think of off the top of my head.

The 24 unit definition by the University is actually relatively unimportant except for the situation where you might be applying to a grad school that requires your last undergraduate year to be full-time.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 07-14-2009 at 11:05 AM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
That's incorrect. For the MSU a full time student is considered 18 units. You need to be a member of the MSU to run for office, and in order to run for office, you need 18 units.

As previously stated by others, to be considered a full-time student by the University, you are required to take 24 units. I dealt with this already this summer because I'm only taking 21 units, since I don't need any more courses than that to finish my degree.
Interesting. We were misinformed last year then when we checked for full-time student status. Incidentally by a member of last year's SRA.

Anyone wanting info on the MSU and MAPs definitions: http://www.msumcmaster.ca/faqs/overv...w/MSU+MAPS.htm

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 07-14-2009 at 11:09 AM.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to lorend for this post.