MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Go student transit id card raveenaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 09-12-2011 08:40 PM
Mac Student Card Transit Pass stobbesays First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-29-2010 12:24 AM
GO Transit Student ID Card jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 72 09-07-2010 11:06 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM

GO Transit Student card

Old 06-04-2012 at 10:36 AM   #1
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times

GO Transit Student card
Guys what are the perks of having a GO transit student card?
Old 06-04-2012 at 10:52 AM   #2
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

GO transit student card = Mac student card

You get a 10-30% discount off of GO transit 10-ride tickets and monthly passes.
Old 06-04-2012 at 11:08 AM   #3
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
GO transit student card = Mac student card

You get a 10-30% discount off of GO transit 10-ride tickets and monthly passes.
They have discontinued the 10-ride tickets and moving to the Presto system. I'm not sure how the Presto system works in terms of student discounts (if any).
Old 06-04-2012 at 11:28 AM   #4
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
They have discontinued the 10-ride tickets and moving to the Presto system. I'm not sure how the Presto system works in terms of student discounts (if any).
You get a little more of a discount with presto but you most definitely do get a student discount with presto. Your overall monthly fare comes out cheaper when using presto as opposed to a monthly pass.

You have to get your presto card changed to 'student price', this is done at any Go Kiosk and takes 5 mins. All you have to do is show your student ID for this.

Everyone should switch to presto imo, there is no downside when compared to monthly passes.

Watoko likes this.
Old 06-04-2012 at 12:08 PM   #5
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Yea, I was a bit hesitant in switching. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-04-2012 at 02:01 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Ten rides are phasing out. Just register as a student for Presto.
Old 06-04-2012 at 02:06 PM   #7
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Presto is pretty cool. It gives you discounts that you don't even know about.

Crzyrio likes this.
Old 08-29-2012 at 03:28 PM   #8
Aaliyah

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
You get a little more of a discount with presto but you most definitely do get a student discount with presto. Your overall monthly fare comes out cheaper when using presto as opposed to a monthly pass.

You have to get your presto card changed to 'student price', this is done at any Go Kiosk and takes 5 mins. All you have to do is show your student ID for this.

Everyone should switch to presto imo, there is no downside when compared to monthly passes.
MAc student ID can be used to change it to 'student price'??

also, $6 fee is charged when you get the card, if your lose the card, would you get charged $6 more??? or is it only a one time payment?
Old 08-29-2012 at 04:50 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliyah View Post

also, $6 fee is charged when you get the card, if your lose the card, would you get charged $6 more??? or is it only a one time payment?
Hm, I don't remember having to present my id when my price thingy was changed, but I was told to bring it.
According to the FAQ on presto's site, $6 is the issuing fee every time you lose or have it stolen.
Old 08-30-2012 at 12:59 AM   #10
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

I dont remember paying for the card, just asked for it and loaded it up, anyone get it as of late?
Old 08-30-2012 at 09:14 AM   #11
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliyah View Post

If you got the card before August, I think it was, GO waived the $6 fee in order to encourage people to switch. Now you have to pay it. And if you need your card replaced for whatever reason, you have to pay it again.

Also, another nifty feature of the PRESTO card no one's mentioned, is that you can put a trip on it and so you only have to tap onto the GO bus/train and don't have to worry about tapping off every time. This also needs to be done at a GO kiosk though.

Oh, and one other thing, you have to have registered and activated your card before you go get the student designation put on it. Otherwise, they can't do it.

Last edited by AmyLia : 08-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2012 at 04:30 PM   #12
linda_z

Liked: 0 Times

If we bought 10-pass tickets last year, can we still use them?
Old 08-30-2012 at 10:02 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda_z View Post
If we bought 10-pass tickets last year, can we still use them?
No, they are no longer usable since July 31st.

Quote:
Unused GO 2-ride and 10-ride tickets

With the discontinuation of GO 2-ride and 10-ride tickets on August 1, we are making some exceptions to our regular refund policy. Please read on to learn how you can receive/determine the balance of unused 2-ride and 10-ride tickets.

To convert ticket balance to PRESTO...

bring your 2-ride or 10-ride ticket to any GO Train station attendant or PRESTO-enabled GO ticket agent
PRESTO requires a minimum load of $10 for activation. If your balance is less than $10, you can simply pay the difference when converting.
option available until December 31, 2015
learn more about PRESTO.
Determining the balance:

2-ride ticket - full ticket price* if unused, 1/2 of ticket price* if one ride has been used
10-ride ticket - 1/10th of ticket price* per the number of unused rides
*Ticket price is the original purchase price printed on the ticket

For cash refund of ticket balance...

bring your 2-ride or 10-ride ticket to any GO Train station attendant or mail a complete refund request form to the address indicated up until October 31, 2012. Forms are available online and from station attendants; the 15% administration fee will be waived.
To exchange a balance of one or two rides for an equivalent single-ride ticket or day pass...

bring your 2-ride or 10-ride ticket to any GO Train station attendant
only applicable for same-day travel
option available only after July 31.
Old 08-30-2012 at 10:06 PM   #14
ashlaaayyyyy

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
Oh, and one other thing, you have to have registered and activated your card before you go get the student designation put on it. Otherwise, they can't do it.
How do you activate it?
Old 08-30-2012 at 10:14 PM   #15
marido

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
I dont remember paying for the card, just asked for it and loaded it up, anyone get it as of late?
i got my presto card on Wednesday at Compass and they waived the $6 dollar fee