MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good electives in summer school jcbr100 Academics 14 03-13-2011 04:15 PM
Extremely good English course electives now in Mac!! mcmastergcdb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-22-2010 12:28 PM
Good electives for history? zunizoon Academics 19 06-04-2010 03:34 PM
Good Political Science Electives heavenlyspot General Discussion 2 07-13-2009 09:44 AM
Dropping Electives in Engineering: good idea? keioffice Academics 4 09-12-2008 05:47 PM

Good Biology Electives

Old 11-03-2011 at 10:19 PM   #1
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times

Good Biology Electives
So I'm looking to take any biology elective (program requirement), and I was wondering which ones are interesting? I'm considering physiology (Bio 2a03), but I've heard less than ideal things about the workload (esp. lengthy labs write ups). I'm more of a conceptual person, so I'm hoping that there are some bio courses that don't require just vast amounts of memorization.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-10-2011 at 12:02 AM   #2
luke11992

Liked: 0 Times

I have biology 2F03 (Ecology) this semester, and I find it really good. There's a lot of interesting stuff in that class. I definitely recommend it
Old 11-10-2011 at 12:39 AM   #3
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke11992 View Post
I have biology 2F03 (Ecology) this semester, and I find it really good. There's a lot of interesting stuff in that class. I definitely recommend it
i definitely dont recommend ecology dont listen to this guy, 2F03 is the worst course I have ever taken its a terrible course soooo bad you will fall asleep every class and despise this course with passion
Old 11-10-2011 at 12:59 AM   #4
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Ecology 2F03 was really boring material, but I found the creative group presentations to be really fun.
Really easy to get near 100% on those, and study a bit for the midterm/exam and you can get a great mark.

Plant 2D03 was a little tougher but also a neat course.
Only downside was weekly 3hr labs, but the course content was quite simple (compared to animal physiology at least).

Physiology 2A03 was a challenging course, but it is a pre-req for some 3rd year courses so make sure you take it if you need it.
Content was REALLY interesting if you're into human physiology.

Genetics 2C03 and Cell Bio 2B03 were both a pain, I found.
Tons of memorizing (especially in cell bio) but again, these tend to be pre-reqs so you will probably want to take them.

IqzFendi, meandyou like this.
Old 11-10-2011 at 02:33 AM   #5
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

2f for the least amount of work to obtain a good mark, with the downside of complete boredom... whe i took it it was a 3hr night class and i found it difficult to stay awake

2a for the most interesting material, with the downside of having a heavy workload.... labs were a pain
Old 11-10-2011 at 03:31 AM   #6
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times

2F = super easy
Old 11-10-2011 at 09:11 AM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Physiology is good if you don't like pointless memorizing. If you understand the basics you can reason most of the stuff out. It's harder than something like 2F03 but a useful course ... and really it's not that much work. :|

Old 11-10-2011 at 01:39 PM   #8
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

2A03- now requires that you have taken 1B03 physics, so if you dont have that its not even an option- apparently it is more difficult than the others (havent taken it yet)

2F03- if you do not like memorizing this is NOT the course for you- it is all memorizing information from slides, not that much was application questions and even that usually required you to have memorized the specific concept details- have group work as well, which is kinda annoying, but get a participation mark for iclickers and talking in lab- 1 midterm (taking this semester)

(and in regards to everyone saying 2F03 is easy, it is not this year. previous years had Dr. Chow-Fraser, but this year we have Dr. Cartwright, absolutely NO ONE got above 95% on the midterm, and only 7 people got above a 90... this is a class thats in BSB 147... so there's a lot of people-- so check what prof you have too)

2B03- also has memorizing, but it is a LOT LESS content versus 2F03, mind you, you have a 15% essay, so if you dont like writing it might not be the best choice- 2 midterms (taking this semester)

2D03- didnt take/dont know

2C03- didnt take yet- but I have Dr. Dej (who i have currently for 2B03) so im assuming it will be similar, where all you do is memorize the slides

pretty much all of the courses have memorizing, its impossible to avoid that- if you dont like labs then dont take 2A03 (also it is said to be the hardest of the 2nd year bios), but from there i think its best to go with whichever suites your optimal grading style and for which you will at least enjoy

also check out the other course reviews under"Reviews" for other opinions

Last edited by spyridm : 11-10-2011 at 01:41 PM.

MCHEDDENITE likes this.
Old 11-12-2011 at 05:49 PM   #9
Jenn

thank you for the input guys!
ya i'm not super fond of a biology prereq.. but it seems like physio would be the best choice out so far. I simply cannot imagine myself studying plants ecology for a semester :(
Old 11-12-2011 at 07:26 PM   #10
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

here's my critique

bio 2ao3 - Really neat stuff, SO MUCH FREAKING WORK so not worth it, def won't be a good elective.

bio 2b03- BEST CLASS EVER , legit so easy just memorize everyhting and you are gold

bio 2c03- Next sem

bio 2d03- My friend says retarded but easy

bio 2f03 - in it right now and I LOVE IT, so easy except for some reason my TA hates me and wont give me a 99% like she does everyone else.

bio 2ee3- AMAZING course in terms of content, but really heavy workload and physically exhausting

bio 2L03- Haven't taken cuz im not in bio but I heard rumors this course is a *****

Last edited by MCHEDDENITE : 11-12-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2011 at 10:46 PM   #11
Jenn

i already took 2b03, can't say i liked it (it was easy though lol)
so there isn't a course that's interesting and okay-ish in terms of workload in bio? >_>