MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waitlist for the offer CathDuong First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-06-2012 11:25 AM
lifescience offer Alex348711 Academics 3 03-01-2011 08:56 PM
Condtional Offer! soody First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-13-2010 12:48 PM
Will they reject your offer if this happens? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-12-2010 07:13 PM
going into 2nd year but received transfer offer mcmaster12 General Discussion 11 06-16-2009 10:05 PM

Got Co-op offer! but after second year

Old 08-01-2012 at 08:19 PM   #1
HassanShahab

Liked: 0 Times

Got Co-op offer! but after second year
Hi everyone,

I got a co-op offer at Husky Energy for a year in Lloydminster, SK and I start in September. However, I just found out that the engineering co-op office won't allow students getting into third year, to get a long term co-op. I've emailed Lynn Stewart, Manager, and David Coughlin, Career Development Coordinator. NOW, if they don't count this towards my co-op degree, can I just take a year off from school and then come back in September 2013? Will this affect my enrollment? I need some advice!! thanks!
Old 08-01-2012 at 09:02 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Congrats on your co-op. I'm not sure on the details also but I think it is better overall to do the coop anyways regardless of the answer. If not, ask the company if they can reserve the position for you the following year.

HassanShahab says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 08-01-2012 at 09:23 PM   #3
pocketlint59

Liked: 11 Times

see if you can forego the co-op office entirely. Not having a "co-op" next to your degree makes little difference to your overall qualifications.

HassanShahab says thanks to pocketlint59 for this post.

Andrew A, Snowman like this.
Old 08-01-2012 at 09:27 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

wow for a company to hire you for a year after second year..amazing.

Just see what the rules for leaving a year are. big deal if it doesnt say co-op. plus you dont have to shell out 150-300 per 4 months

HassanShahab says thanks to MacPack for this post.

newbo likes this.
Old 08-01-2012 at 09:37 PM   #5
HassanShahab

That's what I want to do if the co-op office won't let me... But I'm worried for my enrollment and eligibility to return to school in September, 2013. I have to ask the registrar's office about this... Does anyone know the rule for working a year between studies?
Old 08-01-2012 at 10:05 PM   #6
pinkprincess

Liked: 3 Times

Sounds like a great opportunity!

Not sure if this is possible...but if they don't let you do it, perhaps you can take courses as a part-time student? Maybe take 1-2 easy night classes...or perhaps an online class that would count as a credit at Mac. That way you'll still technically be registered as a student.
Perhaps you can ask about doing this if the procedure to take a year off is complicated.

HassanShahab says thanks to pinkprincess for this post.
Old 08-01-2012 at 10:09 PM   #7
HassanShahab

Taking an online course is actually a really good idea if taking a year off is tricky... Thanks!
Old 08-01-2012 at 10:45 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Holy! How did u land that Hassan?
Old 08-01-2012 at 10:52 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

I'm sure not having the co-op beside your degree is fine. Just drop out of coop since you already have one if they refuse to acknowledge it. As long you have the experience in your resume you should be fine.
Old 08-01-2012 at 11:41 PM   #10
HassanShahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
Holy! How did u land that Hassan?

I applied... got a couple of interviews, with Syncrude, Hatch and Husky... and then got the offer at Husky...
Old 08-02-2012 at 12:18 AM   #11
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Dam just wondering. Did they look alot into your marks, extracurrics, etc?
Old 08-02-2012 at 12:36 AM   #12
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanShahab View Post
I applied... got a couple of interviews, with Syncrude, Hatch and Husky... and then got the offer at Husky...
I applied to tons of jobs first and second year, and now I am going into third year with just a single interview before this summer. Share your wisdom!
Old 08-02-2012 at 12:42 AM   #13
HassanShahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Dam just wondering. Did they look alot into your marks, extracurrics, etc?

I think it was experience, I've worked at some really good places related to chemical engineering, like this one place im working at right now called Extox, its a chemical resource recovery company... Other than that, It's definitely, mostly interview.
Old 08-02-2012 at 12:50 AM   #14
HassanShahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I applied to tons of jobs first and second year, and now I am going into third year with just a single interview before this summer. Share your wisdom!
Just apply... make good cover letters and resume and apply on your own on company websites, research engineering firms... The more you apply, the better your chances... I guess. Getting an interview is amazing... If nothing, it's a good experience. Oh and no matter what your qualifications are, be 'prepared' for interviews.

Anyway, back to the topic... I need some insight on taking a year off from school or something... so i can actually do this...
Old 08-02-2012 at 04:38 AM   #15
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

2 Things:

If you can't work at a long term co-op because of certain eligibility requirements that the school expects you to be aware of, then you shouldn't apply to those co-ops... And there isn't much sympathy for doing so.

And, companies get a kickback for having you as a student on a co-op work term from a University/College. If they hired you with the expectation that you're a co-op student, then you likely wouldn't be allowed to go ahead and do it without being in co-op. That being said, if you DID manage to talk them into it somehow, you can leave school for 12 months... The school doesn't really have a problem with that.

Anyways, congrats on the success. Just be aware of the two items above.