MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence Waitlist davied First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-12-2011 09:40 PM
Condtional Offer! soody First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-13-2010 12:48 PM
retracted offer dede90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-17-2010 05:26 AM
RESIDENCE waitlist EMERGENCY candacee Residence & Housing 11 06-19-2010 08:14 PM
any upper years on the waitlist for res this year? macbaby07 Residence & Housing 0 04-29-2010 04:54 PM

Waitlist for the offer

Old 05-05-2012 at 11:46 AM   #1
CathDuong

Liked: 0 Times

Waitlist for the offer
Hi,
I applied to Mc but I sent my English Proficiency result after the deadline ( the deadline was April 1st, but I sent on May 1st). They said they will put me on the waitlist and review my application after June 1st. Will I have a chance to get in? If I'm lucky, I can make it 90% average in the end of the year. And I applied to Business. Any of you know when they will announce the acceptance for people on the waitlist?
Old 05-05-2012 at 05:44 PM   #2
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I would be clueless on this, but it's best if you email admissions about your concern.
Old 05-05-2012 at 08:42 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yeah, emailing them is probably best to be sure, since none of us really know how they work admissions.

However, if you didn't send in your documents until after the deadline, and you're on a wait list until June 1, that probably means that they won't even consider your application until everybody else has accepted/rejected their choices (I believe the date for that is at the end of May). Then, depending how much space there is left in the program, they'll go back to the wait list and take the top-ranked people from there.
Old 05-06-2012 at 11:25 AM   #4
nmperna

I missed the deadline for accepting my offer from McMaster because I actually accepted another university and changed my mind. I called the Office of the Registrar and gave them my case. The woman was really nice and gave me the email addresses of two people to contact. She even gave me a quick guide of what I should say.

I find that when you have the personal connection of talking to someone they're more likely to try to help. Emails are easy to ignore. As well, once you've spoken to someone at the university you have your own little reference there. You want to CC them on the emails you send, and mention in the email "I was referred by Person X in Department Y to contact you regarding this issue."

If your marks are that good, there's a good chance they'll want you, even with a month late requirement submission, but you should make it clear that you want it. When you show initiative like that (you don't want a late submission to imply that you don't care about getting in), people will want to help you. Especially if you're nice. Be nice.

Good luck and come back to tell us how it goes!

EDIT: Just to add quickly to my post above, don't be discouraged if there are protocols in place that mean, exactly what nerual said, they can't do anything with your application until after students that strictly followed the rules have already accepted/rejected their offers. Sometimes that's just the way it is, but keep in contact and ask them if there's another date when you could call and follow up.

Tell them that you have offers from other universities (I just assume you do with good grades?) and, while you don't want to miss the acceptance deadlines for your other offers, McMaster is your first choice so you don't want to miss out on an opportunity to go here.

Last edited by jhan523 : 05-06-2012 at 11:35 AM.

particle likes this.