MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How are cancelled courses will affect my transcripts,etc? keiser=) Academics 1 12-27-2013 09:14 PM
Question for 2nd - 4th Years about Summer Courses macprodigy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-14-2012 12:00 AM
Need 3/4th years courses lifesci09 Academics 0 09-06-2012 10:38 AM
first year courses in upper years vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-22-2010 09:00 PM
Where do first years pic courses? MacEng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-30-2008 03:45 PM

Grade Removal from Transcripts (courses from years ago)

Old 08-26-2014 at 01:13 AM   #1

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Grade Removal from Transcripts (courses from years ago)
I attended Mac 3 years ago before switching to another school and would like to remove a few courses off my transcript. Has anyone does this? These grades are lowering my cGPA a lot and the grad programs I am interested in look at cGPA.
Old 08-26-2014 at 02:58 AM   #2
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

lol, I wish...
Old 08-26-2014 at 09:36 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Yeah, life doesn't work like that. You can't just remove low grades from your transcript, for obvious reasons.

Most grad schools just look at your last couple of years, though. What programs/schools are you looking at?
Old 08-26-2014 at 10:09 AM   #4
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Hey guys, I fucked up in a few classes and dont want to deal with the consequences, can i just use some white out and cover up those grades and only show my good marks on my transcript?
Old 08-26-2014 at 06:58 PM   #5
dani3041

Liked: 10 Times

Depending on the situation they actually do remove marks from your transcripts. But you need official documentation that illness/death/etc occurred around the time you were taking a course. If something extreme didn't happen then I doubt they let you, but you should still message the academic advisers of your old faculty.
Old 08-27-2014 at 10:19 AM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani3041 View Post
Depending on the situation they actually do remove marks from your transcripts. But you need official documentation that illness/death/etc occurred around the time you were taking a course. If something extreme didn't happen then I doubt they let you, but you should still message the academic advisers of your old faculty.
Even in cases of extreme illness or death, they tend to frown upon selectively removing courses - because really, all courses that you were taking at the time should be affected.
Old 08-27-2014 at 11:43 AM   #7
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani3041 View Post
Even in cases of illness or death, if your gpa is really low, all they can do is give you a second chance and have you reinstated. I've never heard of anyone simply "getting rid of" final grades in university. You realize that if that were the case, literally everyone would be able to get into med school, law school, masters, etc.?

OP, unfortunately, the only way you'd be able to get a clean slate is by going back for a second degree or starting over at your new University (without transferring your credits from Mac).
Old 08-27-2014 at 01:31 PM   #8
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
I attended Mac 3 years ago before switching to another school and would like to remove a few courses off my transcript. Has anyone does this? These grades are lowering my cGPA a lot and the grad programs I am interested in look at cGPA.
It's stylistically designed to be that way, and you can't undo that, but we can diminish the effects of it.
Old 08-27-2014 at 01:33 PM   #9
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

If you choose the second degree route, your transcript would list everything you had done.

Applying for graduate or professional school you are required to provide transcripts of all your previous university work, even at other schools.

There is nowhere to hide!

Actually, I understand that the most recent work of applicants is given greater regard as it would be the closer approximation of what quality to expect for the future.
Old 08-28-2014 at 12:21 AM   #10
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

It depends on the circumstance. I failed a class last Fall because I bombed a 60% exam because I had a member of my family dying from brain cancer at the time, he passed away two days later. I can go and get that removed because the school has the death information on file already as I had to defer the rest of my exams.

They, however, WILL NOT remove bad grades or failed grades simply because you aren't happy with them now. There has to be a very important reason and they have to have proof on file.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 08-28-2014 at 05:50 AM   #11
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Death in family is the reason.

Last edited by Lawstudent : 08-31-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2014 at 06:02 AM   #12
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
My reason is death of a family member which lead me to nearly fail a course and do extremely poorly in others.

And the program I'm looking into is Osgoode Hall Law School.
The school would need a copy of the death certificate or the funeral program if they do not already have it on file. I don't know how likely they are to remove low grades, from my experience they only would remove the fails.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 08-28-2014 at 11:35 AM   #13
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

A few grades? The fact that you waited three years to even address the issue is also something that will probably work against you. Being blatantly honest here, you had the opportunity back then and you didnt take it. Move on as based on the information you provided, Law School is not in your immediate or distant future without doing a second undergrad degree.
Old 08-29-2014 at 09:51 AM   #14
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I know somebody who had some bad grades removed because she went in and cried. Or so she says. There were no real extenuating issues there (that I know of... and I was living with her at the time).

I suggest finding a one year masters program. I suspect they'd look a lot more at your grades from that, and if they still don't accept you you'll have an MA/Msc to fall back on.
Old 08-30-2014 at 12:16 PM   #15
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Thank you all.

Last edited by Lawstudent : 08-31-2014 at 12:22 PM.