MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VON Hamilton macvolunteer MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-18-2010 09:26 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Is cootes sketchy? crazyfree General Discussion 26 02-06-2010 11:46 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

Hamilton is so sketchy!!

Old 12-29-2010 at 03:21 AM   #46
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb23 View Post
Lol, when I was growing up in Hamilton I thought that every other city was exactly the same way with crackheads, hookers, sirens and crime (house was robbed multiple times) being a regular thing.

It was kind of a revelation when I started going to Mac with the non-locals andthey would tell me they were scared of hanging around downtown and that the downtown core was so dirty and gross.

P.S. Try going to bustops where it is nicely lit, at a bustop where you think there will be other people at all times of the day, or at one where not a lot of people or traffic pass by

Old 12-29-2010 at 06:39 AM   #47
mickey2012

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
My post got liked by 23 people. Your post got liked by 0. Therefore, I do pride myself... bow down and fear my incredible Paint skillz.
No doubt.
Not that the ratings on here has any significance to me, but I'd be rather sad and puzzled if people actually "liked" the situation I described. Would you?

I thank everyone else that has shown support. It's sincerely appreciated.
Old 12-29-2010 at 10:30 AM   #48
rebeccaaa

Liked: 0 Times

That is terrifying. I go downtown a lot for medical appointments in the evening and I have to take the bus to and from by myself. I really don't feel safe as a 5'1 105lb female in that area. I've never really encountered any worse than people asking me for money, but its scary to know that muggings do occurr..
I'm glad you're okay though
Old 12-29-2010 at 12:32 PM   #49
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

Wow, that is so scary. I'm glad that you're okay and was able to get out of the situation. Don't beat yourself up too hard over this, you handled it as well as any normal person could have in your situation. And ignore the insensitive comments; this is just pretty much what MI is like these days.
Old 12-29-2010 at 01:14 PM   #50
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I think I can help you out...

Last edited by Toast : 12-29-2010 at 01:34 PM.

bcars likes this.
Old 12-29-2010
Toast
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-29-2010 at 01:32 PM   #51
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2012 View Post
No doubt.
Not that the ratings on here has any significance to me, but I'd be rather sad and puzzled if people actually "liked" the situation I described. Would you?
Nope, because I'm a troll, duh.
Old 12-29-2010 at 03:23 PM   #52
BigT905

Liked: 6 Times

its just downtown
dont go there if u have no bussiness
dont look at ppl
dont stare
and you will be fine
i used to perform at downtown clubs n go out at like 2-3 to see scarier shit ... just be smart... and if u ever get ur ass kicked.. pm me
Old 12-29-2010 at 04:23 PM   #53
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

The people who have been posting insensitive comments clearly are from small towns, or live in affluent neighbourhoods of cities... Stuff like this happens A LOT and its definitely traumatic.

Coming from someone who's born and raised in Toronto, and I've been chased by guys with knives before, jumped, and almost robbed for no reason... Just know that you CANT trust anyone in society today.. Its sad but true, a friendly "what time is it?" is an attempt to have your guard let down...

Ignore locals, don't look at them, and definitely don't speak to them... If they ask you something, kindly reply briefly and LIE if you have to ie. "i'm sorry I don't have the time"

Thankfully you weren't hurt, hopefully you'll get over this whole situation, it takes time but usually happens
Old 12-29-2010 at 04:47 PM   #54
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
The people who have been posting insensitive comments clearly are from small towns, or live in affluent neighbourhoods of cities... Stuff like this happens A LOT and its definitely traumatic.

Coming from someone who's born and raised in Toronto, and I've been chased by guys with knives before, jumped, and almost robbed for no reason... Just know that you CANT trust anyone in society today.. Its sad but true, a friendly "what time is it?" is an attempt to have your guard let down...

Ignore locals, don't look at them, and definitely don't speak to them... If they ask you something, kindly reply briefly and LIE if you have to ie. "i'm sorry I don't have the time"

Thankfully you weren't hurt, hopefully you'll get over this whole situation, it takes time but usually happens

Actually i think it's the people that already live in a place like Hamilton that are making light of the situation, but their point is that you HAVE to make light of the situation. If you don't then of course it'll be traumatizing. Christ, this might be a life lesson for everyone, the world will do horrible things to you and sometimes the only way you can really cope with the insanity of it, is to simply laugh along with it.
Old 12-29-2010 at 04:50 PM   #55
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

So if i get jumped, I should make light of the situation? Thats not happening.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 12-29-2010 at 05:10 PM   #56
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT905 View Post
its just downtown
dont go there if u have no bussiness
dont look at ppl
dont stare
and you will be fine
i used to perform at downtown clubs n go out at like 2-3 to see scarier shit ... just be smart... and if u ever get ur ass kicked.. pm me
LOL 45678910
Old 12-29-2010 at 05:20 PM   #57
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
So if i get jumped, I should make light of the situation? Thats not happening.

So you're saying that a better alternative would be getting angry over something you can't change? I don't really understand your logic.

I'm not saying you should make light of everything, but sometimes that's the most necessary coping mechanism.
Old 12-29-2010 at 05:20 PM   #58
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I hate being downtown or....anywhere in Hamilton by myself but I've had to quite a few times this year unfortunately.

I have a few ground rules that tend to help me
- Don't make eye contact. Always stare off into the distance.
- Don't carry too many things in your hands. You draw unnecessary attention to yourself and it makes it harder to run
- Always keep your cell phone nearby and even if you have to fake it, pretend you're talking to somebody if you need to. The Kid's Help Phone does stay with you on the phone if you need it at times like that
- I like telling people where I'm going, at what time and what time I should be back.
- I don't let the fear show, no matter how creepy the person on the bus staring at me is
- Scowl. Scowl a lot.

I wouldn't recommend pretending you talk to yourself or acting "crazy" unless you find it will help, because you do meet jackasses who like picking on people with mental disabilities. The situation could easily escalate.

Carry a whistle.

Yell fire. (http://www.justyellfire.com/)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

RyanC, shes-a-diva* like this.
Old 12-29-2010 at 05:41 PM   #59
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Actually i think it's the people that already live in a place like Hamilton that are making light of the situation, but their point is that you HAVE to make light of the situation. If you don't then of course it'll be traumatizing. Christ, this might be a life lesson for everyone, the world will do horrible things to you and sometimes the only way you can really cope with the insanity of it, is to simply laugh along with it.
I tend to disagree... A lot of people who are locals to a city usually know that this sort of stuff happens... Its people who are usually unaware of stuff like this happening who take it as a joke... I know a couple of people I've met at Mac who are from small cities think taking the bus is safe... Um hello, the bus is not always safe, and this is coming from someone who's taken the bus everyday since they were 13 years old... I know these same people who think taking the bus is safe have never taken a bus until now...

Its usually the people who are unaware of what the world is really like that think being careful is a joke... Sh*t happens everyday, everywhere... Some people are more apt to realize this, others tend to be more oblivious... I mean I've met people who seriously believe that there is no way for people to obtain access to guns because we live in Canada and guns are illegal... If this were true maybe there wouldn't be any shootings ever