MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VON Hamilton macvolunteer MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-18-2010 09:26 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Is cootes sketchy? crazyfree General Discussion 26 02-06-2010 11:46 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

Hamilton is so sketchy!!

Old 12-29-2010 at 05:57 PM   #61
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I hate being downtown or....anywhere in Hamilton by myself but I've had to quite a few times this year unfortunately.

I have a few ground rules that tend to help me
- Don't make eye contact. Always stare off into the distance.
- Don't carry too many things in your hands. You draw unnecessary attention to yourself and it makes it harder to run
- Always keep your cell phone nearby and even if you have to fake it, pretend you're talking to somebody if you need to. The Kid's Help Phone does stay with you on the phone if you need it at times like that
- I like telling people where I'm going, at what time and what time I should be back.
- I don't let the fear show, no matter how creepy the person on the bus staring at me is
- Scowl. Scowl a lot.

I wouldn't recommend pretending you talk to yourself or acting "crazy" unless you find it will help, because you do meet jackasses who like picking on people with mental disabilities. The situation could easily escalate.

Carry a whistle.

Yell fire. (http://www.justyellfire.com/)
I hate to burst your safety bubble, but blowing a whistle won't do anything.
Old 12-29-2010 at 06:48 PM   #62
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
I know a couple of people I've met at Mac who are from small cities think taking the bus is safe... Um hello, the bus is not always safe, and this is coming from someone who's taken the bus everyday since they were 13 years old... I know these same people who think taking the bus is safe have never taken a bus until now...
Taking the bus is generally safe...

Are you trying to say that these small-city folk are like, "It is a physical impossibility for something to go wrong in regards to my safety while in a bus". Well yes, in that case they're wrong, but more likely they're like "There is a pretty good chance I won't get stabbed in the face if I take the bus", which is true.
Old 12-29-2010 at 07:08 PM   #63
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

Wow that must've been really scary. I'm glad you didn't get severely hurt.

I've lived in Hamilton for a while, and as soon as you get out of down town, it's actually a really nice city. I've lived in East Hamilton and I now live in Ancaster. Dundas is also a nice area. I've never had a problem with my neighbors and it's actually extremely peaceful and no one bothers you.

I can see though how what happened to you would make you hate the city.

Hamilton is actually the capital waterfall of the world. It has over 100 water falls. Maybe go sight-seeing, you'll see there's more to Hamilton than downtown!
Old 12-29-2010 at 07:34 PM   #64
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Don't know you at all but its good to hear you are ok.

I haven't ever really had a problem like this, worst has just been suspicious looking people asking me for shit while waiting at buses at night. Best one was a guy asking to borrow my debit card to go buy gas :/ Also had what I'm pretty sure to be a crackhead try and sell me and ipod.

Pretty much always say no, and I do always make eye contact with the people, I think feel like it lets them know that I see them and and watching them. I usually have my hands in my pockets as well, so maybe people think I am trying to get them

I've lived here my entire life, and I don't feel like it is sketchy really, just be aware and try and keep yourself out of situations that can be dangerous
Old 12-29-2010 at 08:17 PM   #65
ruddybuddy

Liked: 1 Time

Its worse in the north end and the closer you get to around ivor wynne as well.... its rare to see that up the mountain but that are some bad areas... just like every other big city
Old 12-29-2010 at 08:22 PM   #66
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddybuddy View Post
Its worse in the north end and the closer you get to around ivor wynne as well.... its rare to see that up the mountain but that are some bad areas... just like every other big city
Really?
I disagree completely, I live right by Ivor Wynne and have all my life. I'm always busing home from school, friend's/boyfriend's house late at night, at like midnight, 1, etc., and have never had problems, just the occasional dude asking for monies.

Downtown is for sure a lot worse & I find the north end to be the safest, in my opinion. Never had a problem there, not even a person asking for monies.

Old 12-29-2010 at 08:25 PM   #67
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Really?
I disagree completely, I live right by Ivor Wynne and have all my life. I'm always busing home from school, friend's/boyfriend's house late at night, at like midnight, 1, etc., and have never had problems, just the occasional dude asking for monies.

Downtown is for sure a lot worse & I find the north end to be the safest, in my opinion. Never had a problem there, not even a person asking for monies.
Actually most of the "sketchy" encounters I have had have been while waiting for the bus by your house lol
Old 12-29-2010 at 08:32 PM   #68
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLB0T View Post
Actually most of the "sketchy" encounters I have had have been while waiting for the bus by your house lol
Really?! Hm. I never have any, just a couple odd ones.
I always get the creepy peoples downtown, but never by your area. It's such a good area, love it.

Old 12-29-2010 at 08:41 PM   #69
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Haven't had any creepy encounters other than people asking for change

TO WHICH I RESPONDED BY FALCON PUNCHING THEM INTO THE ****ING STRATOSPHERE

NO I DONT HAVE ANY CHANGE BRO

BUT NOW I HAVE YOUR LIVER

Mahratta likes this.
Old 12-30-2010 at 12:20 AM   #70
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Its people who are usually unaware of stuff like this happening who take it as a joke..
Actually what i was saying that the people making light of the situation in this thread are the people who live in Hamilton and have dealt w/ stuff like this before. Which is true if you read the thread.

Quote:
Its usually the people who are unaware of what the world is really like that think being careful is a joke...
The people who are unaware of what the "real world" is like usually assume it's like the news. Which depicts the world as a dangerous and unsafe place, i honestly don't know what the hell you are on about here. You're almost making it seem as though having the belief in human decency is a bad thing.

Quote:
I mean I've met people who seriously believe that there is no way for people to obtain access to guns because we live in Canada and guns are illegal... If this were true maybe there wouldn't be any shootings ever
While i agree that the idea that attaining firearms is naive, i have to say you'd have to be pretty paranoid if you were in constant fear of being shot, as there are only a select number of shootings each year in Canada, most of which targeting gangs, not innocent or oblivious civilians.

You seem to have a hard on for fear, do you watch Glenn Beck or something? I have faith in humanity, this doesn't mean i'm entirely naive, but that also doesn't mean i think that a guy staring at me on the bus means that he wants to murder me.
Old 12-30-2010 at 12:43 AM   #71
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Actually what i was saying that the people making light of the situation in this thread are the people who live in Hamilton and have dealt w/ stuff like this before. Which is true if you read the thread.

The people who are unaware of what the "real world" is like usually assume it's like the news. Which depicts the world as a dangerous and unsafe place, i honestly don't know what the hell you are on about here. You're almost making it seem as though having the belief in human decency is a bad thing.

While i agree that the idea that attaining firearms is naive, i have to say you'd have to be pretty paranoid if you were in constant fear of being shot, as there are only a select number of shootings each year in Canada, most of which targeting gangs, not innocent or oblivious civilians.

You seem to have a hard on for fear, do you watch Glenn Beck or something? I have faith in humanity, this doesn't mean i'm entirely naive, but that also doesn't mean i think that a guy staring at me on the bus means that he wants to murder me.
SHUT UP ******* CARRYING MY SWITCHBLADE MAKES ME FEEL MANLY

power puff girls is my favourite show btw
l

Old 12-30-2010 at 12:49 AM   #72
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
SHUT UP ******* CARRYING MY SWITCHBLADE MAKES ME FEEL MANLY

power puff girls is my favourite show btw
l

/12charmander

mattatmac likes this.
Old 12-30-2010 at 05:27 AM   #73
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

/12charmander

Does anyone else see the obvious racism of power rangers after seeing a video that has the words "White Ranger Power" repeated over and over ?
Old 12-30-2010 at 09:09 AM   #74
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
The people who have been posting insensitive comments clearly are from small towns, or live in affluent neighbourhoods of cities... Stuff like this happens A LOT and its definitely traumatic.

Coming from someone who's born and raised in Toronto, and I've been chased by guys with knives before, jumped, and almost robbed for no reason... Just know that you CANT trust anyone in society today.. Its sad but true, a friendly "what time is it?" is an attempt to have your guard let down...

Ignore locals, don't look at them, and definitely don't speak to them... If they ask you something, kindly reply briefly and LIE if you have to ie. "i'm sorry I don't have the time"

Thankfully you weren't hurt, hopefully you'll get over this whole situation, it takes time but usually happens
im from scarborough and nothing like this has ever happened to me

i think ppl like that pick on specific ppl
Old 12-30-2010 at 12:26 PM   #75
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Does anyone else see the obvious racism of power rangers after seeing a video that has the words "White Ranger Power" repeated over and over ?
Now only if all white supremacists wore power ranger suits...