MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Load Changed and OSAP luna Academics 2 11-09-2011 04:38 PM
Changed courses around... Cliu91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-09-2010 03:59 PM
OSAP changed, 1700 less! :( olive Financial Aid 4 08-15-2010 11:40 PM
Residence suddenly changed? pinkpen Residence & Housing 16 07-08-2010 09:35 AM
HSR routes changed by 2011 adrian General Discussion 9 11-01-2008 04:19 PM

Has your view on the opposite sex changed in university?

Members have rated post #309058 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 03-28-2012 at 10:27 AM   #1
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Has your view on the opposite sex changed in university?
My question is for everyone (please say whether you are male or female and what year you are in).

Has your view/opinions about the opposite sex changed ever since leaving high school and into university?

For me personally, there is equality but at the same time I do see emerging gender roles now that most of us are entering our twenties.
Old 03-28-2012 at 10:33 AM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I didn't think sexism existed when I was a teenager, but I can see now there's a glass ceiling and I could imagine the difficulties it is for women to establish themselves in university and the working world. I am in a traditionally "pink collared" career path, and my superiors have explicitly told me that I am at an advantage for jobs because there are a lack of males in the profession. I know structural sexism also exists in male-dominated professions as well

But in the end, I feel gender is a ridiculous concept and we should really challenge the meanings and associations attached to masculinity and femininity.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Old 03-28-2012
RyanC
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-28-2012 at 12:48 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

only thing that changed was just sexist jokes between friends. all in good fun
Old 03-28-2012 at 03:30 PM   #4
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

one thing I didn't notice in highschool is how feminine society is. Everyone is always worried about how something is going to make someone else feel, Im thoughtful enough to pretend like I care, but honestly I dont.

Rudiger likes this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 03:31 PM   #5
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

The girls dressed sluttier(read: better) in high school.

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 04:12 PM   #6
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times

Honestly in university you get hit by some new facts about how different the opposite sex is,
Iam a male, in my 1st year at uni in engg...
till the time I was in high school I usually liked girls just for their looks..but now(I haven't even completed a year here) and I like girls with brains and not just the ones who fall on every other guy to get their work done...I think that idea ties in to the fact mentioned by someone else as to how you see women trying to set their position up in society..but quite frankly I look at a person for the amount of hard work they put in...gender really does not make a difference to me
Old 03-28-2012 at 04:14 PM   #7
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times

You're right man..I think it should be just watered down to who works harder and not what gender you are...
Old 03-28-2012
DragonBorn
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-28-2012 at 06:01 PM   #8
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

At my highschool there were three groups of girls... Too smart for their own good, too dumb for anyone's own good... and the girls who thought the most important thing in the world was weed.

Coming to university I'm surrounded by the first group... and I f**king love it.

drpatel, RyanC like this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 06:56 PM   #9
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

I don't see how you would want a girl who is too smart or smarter than yourself. She will probably convince you that it is ok to eat your own sh*t.
Old 03-28-2012 at 07:48 PM   #10
Sintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
I don't see how you would want a girl who is too smart or smarter than yourself. She will probably convince you that it is ok to eat your own sh*t.
Actually.. a girl being as smart as me or even smarter is a major turn on.

"Major turnon" - HIMYM lovers unite!

drpatel likes this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 08:09 PM   #11
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Many of the guys in my high school were rude jerks. Here, I've noticed that most guys are at least outwardly polite.

apples12, fatcat, lux, MirandaC like this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 08:26 PM   #12
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
"Major turnon" - HIMYM lovers unite!
If only the show was still that funny. It became utter sh!* I don't even know why I still watch it.

icecubz likes this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 08:33 PM   #13
Sintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
If only the show was still that funny. It became utter sh!* I don't even know why I still watch it.
You're so negative! I think HIMYM is doing amazing. I'm upset next season is the last one.

I hope they NEVER meet the mother, because then the show's over.