MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clinical Placement + Criminal Record = Possible disaster?? aw07 General Discussion 12 07-04-2011 03:54 PM
HlthAge 1BB3 Placement vs Discussion? Alicia.I First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-03-2011 11:34 PM
Advanced Placement and McMaster ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-05-2010 10:23 PM
Why not Consider a Career Field Placement during Reading Week? Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-19-2010 10:26 AM
Reminder for all Users: MacInsiders Terms of Service lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-01-2009 11:14 AM

Hey Macinsiders users, tell me about your summer job/placement!

Old 07-11-2011 at 11:01 AM   #1
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Hey Macinsiders users, tell me about your summer job/placement!
space
I know it's a bit late in the summer already, but there's still time left for students still looking for a job. I made this thread so users can share thier stories about how they landed thier job and hopefully give others hope and tips on how to land one themselves

I'll start off: been working in the Finance department of St. Joes Healthcare (downtown Hamilton) every summer for the past 4 years. It doesn't really help my resume (going into third year Honours Biology) but I can easily make enough money to pay for tution and textbooks within 4 months. I got this job because I did co-op here back in high-school (grade 11) and impressed my boss enough to keep getting hired after all these years. aka hard work pays off in the end.

So let's hear your stories and please no begging for jobs in this thread.
space

aya017 likes this.
Old 07-11-2011 at 11:10 AM   #2
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Applied for a McWork job 3 years ago, testing fire alarms. Doesn't help the resume in the slightest, but I do an extremely little amount of work and get paid 40 hours a week.

My tip to all: WORK ON CAMPUS!
Old 07-11-2011 at 11:12 AM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I just talked to a bunch of supervisors I've worked with in the past and they were able to find some hours here and there.

There was a cycling program that I found last year and joined that. Turns out when I'm done my commitment hours I get paid so lucky me and it was more or less considered a job, just much less regular as it depending on participants of the program.

Last year a neighbour introduced me to the individual involved with delivering the computer classes in my town and so I volunteered for her and eventually got hired. Now I'm leading classes on my own when there is registration.

I just hope people realize if they aren't really looking for money volunteering is probably your best bet now in terms of finding work to keep busy.

aya017, ikantsepll like this.
Old 07-11-2011 at 11:48 AM   #4
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Currently working in LSB, using GFP to characterize long term gene expression in choliform bacteria. If you have an opportunity to attend academic events or seminars, take it. Show interest in your prof's research, and be persistent without annoying potential supervisors.

Old 07-11-2011 at 02:01 PM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

This won't help you now, but try applying at Wonderland and any suit/dress place near the beginning of the summer next year. Wonderland ALWAYS needs people, and we finish school right before most places that sell suits/dresses are hit by a combination of the Prom rush and summer wedding rush so they're usually hiring.
Old 07-11-2011 at 02:24 PM   #6
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Working as a intern at sigma designs, doing asic designs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 07-11-2011 at 03:29 PM   #7
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I'm making your shoes and everyone else's.

Old 07-11-2011 at 03:32 PM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
space
I know it's a bit late in the summer already, but there's still time left for students still looking for a job. I made this thread so users can share thier stories about how they landed thier job and hopefully give others hope and tips on how to land one themselves

I'll start off: been working in the Finance department of St. Joes Healthcare (downtown Hamilton) every summer for the past 4 years. It doesn't really help my resume (going into third year Honours Biology) but I can easily make enough money to pay for tution and textbooks within 4 months. I got this job because I did co-op here back in high-school (grade 11) and impressed my boss enough to keep getting hired after all these years. aka hard work pays off in the end.

So let's hear your stories and please no begging for jobs in this thread.
Who you tryna impress?
Old 07-11-2011 at 03:38 PM   #9
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

I applied to a program called the Ontario Rhone Alpes Research Exchange back in December, and I ended up working at a lab in a university in France. It's not the greatest way to save money for tuition, because it's scholarship pay (i.e. it covers living expenses fully+a little more) and I travel a lot during the weekends, but it a great way to get some research experience, learn a new language and explore a new country

Old 07-11-2011 at 03:54 PM   #10
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I'm doing my social work placement at St. Joseph's Villa in Dundas. It's amazing, I love working with the residents, participating in meetings, I get to do cognitive testing. The only downside that it's a pass/fail course, and not work, so I don't get paid.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 07-11-2011 at 04:08 PM   #11
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Who you tryna impress?
According to my user title, you

MORE RESPONSES PEOPLE, KEEP THEM COMING!
Old 07-11-2011 at 04:44 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

My "best" summer placements were both through Oscar. The first was a McWork job on campus as an office assistant, and the second was an internship on Oscar with the federal government in Ottawa. The McWork job paid minimum wage, but it has been my FAVOURITE work experience ever. The Ottawa job paid $18 an hour and it was great experience for my resume (though I hated almost every minute of it).

My advice: use the services that Mac offers you! Mock interviews, resume help, job shadow, networking.. I never would have got these two amazing job experiences without Career Services (now known as Student Success Centre)
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:31 PM   #13
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

why are you posting this now? with little over a month of summer now employer is going to waste time training a student now. Which leads me to believe someone just wants to have a good gloat. I have a full time job so I don't care, but to those that don't this is just cruel
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:47 PM   #14
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWitches View Post
why are you posting this now? with little over a month of summer now employer is going to waste time training a student now. Which leads me to believe someone just wants to have a good gloat. I have a full time job so I don't care, but to those that don't this is just cruel
Maybe as a reminder to apply earlier this time around? Since we're also sharing how we got our positions. You'd also need time to think about where you want to apply to etc.. and it's not the best time to be doing that during school.
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:56 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWitches View Post
I don't think that's the point of it. I think the purpose of it is to share your position because a lot of people might not even know that such a job existed. And when next year rolls around, they'll have a better idea of where they'd like to work and be more selective with applying to positions.

gguarna says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.