MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star investigation: Slacking off gets high marks at this ‘high school’ enarab General Discussion 29 09-19-2011 11:17 PM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
High School vs University Essays bestinc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 10-05-2009 03:51 PM
Is University as 'Competative' as High School? v-pop Academics 21 10-08-2007 10:52 PM

high school vs university

Old 03-04-2015 at 08:56 PM   #1
HealthSci/Kin

Liked: 3 Times

high school vs university
what are the differences between high school and university, more specifically what makes university such a big leap from high school (ex. multiple choice, critical thinking...)?
Old 03-04-2015 at 09:08 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Well, for starters, you have more courses (5-6 compared to 3-4), and in each course you learn double or triple the material in about 60% of the time (~3 months of classes per term in university compared to ~5 months in high school).

Then, there's the lecture style of learning that some people have trouble with.

Many high schools also really coddle their students and high school grades are severely inflated. Everybody always thinks their school isn't like that, but really, nearly all schools do it to some degree.

There's the social aspects, such as increased independence and being required to take on more responsibility. Many students are too immature to handle it, especially at the beginning.

arsh03 likes this.
Old 03-04-2015 at 09:23 PM   #3
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

High Schools don't have as many drugs, sex and parties. High Schools don't have redsuits either.
Old 03-04-2015 at 09:29 PM   #4
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

High school is much more difficult, cuz you have only one source for knowledge, your teacher. And if you had teachers like mine, a few of them did not even know what they were talking about, and taught very poorly. Here, you have a lot of TAs, profs who are experts in the fields, upper years have help sessions, like PHI for physics help, and you get more chance to develop your critical skills as well. If you utilize the resources, getting an 11-12 should NOT be an issue, me myself being an example. My high school physics teacher was a D***, he made me feel like I know nothing, and I cant do shit in my life.., And am getting an 11s and 12s on university physics..
Old 03-04-2015 at 09:30 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
High Schools don't have as many drugs, sex and parties. High Schools don't have redsuits either.
Well, regarding "drugs, sex and parties", it depends on the high school. I encountered way more people doing drugs in high school than at Mac

Redsuits are definitely unique to Mac though
Old 03-04-2015 at 11:53 PM   #6
HealthSci/Kin

since there is more material you just need to have great memory
Old 03-05-2015 at 02:17 PM   #7
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

I think a lot of the difficulty of university has to do with the lack of second chances.

In high school, we had lots of small assignments and unit tests that each weren't worth very much. One could do poorly on a couple and still walk away with a good mark. But in university, we tend to have fewer assignments and tests that are worth a lot more. One bad day can have a huge impact on a final mark.
Old 03-05-2015 at 02:42 PM   #8
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
second chances.
MSAF, MSAF, MSAF... with a pinch of MSAF and MSAF on top.
Old 03-06-2015 at 03:13 PM   #9
nJagdev25

Liked: 0 Times

high school is basically a joke compared to uni
Old 03-06-2015 at 09:13 PM   #10
BilluRises

in highschool u smack all your courses and in uni you get smacked by all your courses HAAAAAAN
Old 03-08-2015 at 11:27 PM   #11
HealthSci/Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nJagdev25 View Post
high school is basically a joke compared to uni
but how exactly tho???
Old 03-09-2015 at 09:01 AM   #12
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthSci/Kin View Post
but how exactly tho???
When I was in high school I spent maybe an hour per night doing assignments and lab reports etc. I studied in the car on my way to class or occasionally at lunch if I had a test after it. I was lax. I didnt care. And I did quite well.

Fast forward to university. You will be doing at least 10x the work easy. 6 courses and each course is around the equivalent of 2 harder high school courses.

My first test in university was a for chem. The test was worth 35% percent of our mark. I studied my ass off. I may have studied more for that test than any entire exam period in high school (aka all my exams for a semester). That test was hard as hell and I came out with around a 60% which was incidentally slightly higher than average. And after the test? I was behind in every other course and had to scramble to complete all my assignments and keep up with all the work (which is basically impossible due to the shear amount of work.... at least until you learn to study and prioritize very effectively).

You think you are smart? Top 10% in your school? Congrats you are probably mid pack in your program, if that. If you are breezing through highschool then first year is going to hurt even more since you wont know how to study.

Finally you get to become an adult. You will probably live on your own and make all your own choices. There will be plentiful of alcohol and drugs around you and it is your choice to do it. Your profs wont care about you and a single mistake on a test can cost you the entire course. Handed in an assignment late? Thats -20% if the prof even chooses to accept it. You will jump from toddler to adult in 1 year. It doesnt seem like much but its compounds with everything else.

What makes uni hard? You will find out when you get here. Its not too hard to do well and excel but at the end of it all you will look back and realize just how much you changed and adapted to succeed here.