MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business Informatics Admission baodo1 Academics 2 08-04-2011 04:21 PM
Business Informatics without Econ 1BB3 julianface Academics 3 04-05-2011 09:12 PM
Business Informatics or CompSci & Econ BigT905 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 02-12-2011 12:16 AM
A 2nd year business informatics dude CB-Shawn Introduce Yourself 1 07-07-2010 01:43 PM
- Business Informatics major..?- HELP! *~Lana~* First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-07-2010 04:06 AM

Honours Business Informatics HBI

Old 04-02-2014 at 10:18 AM   #1
kakarot

Liked: 6 Times

Honours Business Informatics HBI
hi , i'm currently in eng1 and really leaning towards business informatics from 2nd year onwards.
I do however have some doubts like
1)I'm not so sure about it's job prospects. Like how hard/easy would it be to find a job in comparison to engineering(specifica lly software). Can i apply for Software engineering jobs too after a HBI degree?
2)How hard is the program itself? Is a 10ish gpa getable?

If there are any upper years here from HBI who could help me out, i'd be really really grateful.
Also good luck to everyone for finals
Old 04-02-2014 at 10:30 AM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

1) You're not really at any disadvantage. A lot of courses are cross-listed between SFWR Eng and BI students. But it really depends on which avenue you take to get your first initial job...marks, projects, professional networking or a conjunction of those and more.

2) Depends on you. Some people find Finance difficult, whereas some find HR to be difficult. Or, some people find Operating Systems difficult or Software Requirements.
Old 04-02-2014 at 10:57 AM   #3
kakarot

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
1) You're not really at any disadvantage. A lot of courses are cross-listed between SFWR Eng and BI students. But it really depends on which avenue you take to get your first initial job...marks, projects, professional networking or a conjunction of those and more.
thanks. I know that SFWR guys do take more unit load per year than BI students so i was wondering whether it'd play any role in determining the size of the job pool available to each and if BI people can apply to SFWR jobs after graduation.
I understand that it's upto one's own self to find jobs out there but i just don't want to be in a situation where I'm hoping to land an engineer job after getting a B.A (an example)
Old 04-02-2014 at 06:45 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
thanks. I know that SFWR guys do take more unit load per year than BI students so i was wondering whether it'd play any role in determining the size of the job pool available to each and if BI people can apply to SFWR jobs after graduation.
I understand that it's upto one's own self to find jobs out there but i just don't want to be in a situation where I'm hoping to land an engineer job after getting a B.A (an example)
You get a B.A.Sc which is equivalent to a B.Eng in Canada and some other countries. I know some graduates who landed in development related positions...and some in entry level management...and some in business analysis, or something of the like. If you really want to get a job in development, stick with pure Comp Sci or Software Eng and do a minor in Information Systems, Finance, Accounting or something.