MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Express Restarant ericvan1 Restaurants & Food Reviews 2 08-15-2013 10:08 AM
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Dr. Dej on maternity leave? SandraM Academics 8 07-30-2010 03:25 PM
GO Express from Mississauga spoons First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-09-2009 08:56 PM
Express Yourself kokosas Misc 8 06-03-2008 04:45 PM

Hsr B-line Express To Leave Mac

Old 08-24-2008 at 11:26 PM   #31
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Ah I remember carrying groceries and a case of water from the buses. It wasn't fun.

Besides... didn't they recently replace all the bus shelters on campus? Why the heck did they do that if they intend to phase out the buses going onto campus all together?

Old 08-24-2008 at 11:29 PM   #32
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
Let me just ask, have you ever carried a couple bags of groceries from main to rez?
Yep. Quite a bit farther, even. It's annoying, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
Sure it's not that further, but it does make a difference to students that need to use the buses daily.
Which is a tiny fraction of the students in residence. Seriously, I'm a huge residence supporter, and even though their concerns are somewhat valid, in this dispute I would put them further down on the list compared to others (namely, the need for the change in the first place). I say this partly because it would affect so few of them, but mostly because the buses that are moving are intended for commuters anyway.
Old 08-25-2008 at 05:56 AM   #33
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley12 View Post
I don't have anything against walking all the way out to Main St. It might even get me a little bit more exercise. What I do have a problem with is crossing that crazy road. Have you ever seen how fast some cars wiz through that intersection. Its like they're on the freaking QEW!
Yeah it may be a bit fast, but they stop at the red light so problems crossing the road are a non-issue. There are crosswalks and traffic lights to help with crossing the street safely.
Old 08-25-2008 at 11:00 AM   #34
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Yeah it may be a bit fast
'
A bit? HOLY POOP DO PEOPLE FLY THROUGH YELLOW LIGHTS IN HAMILTON!

Ive never seen anyting quite like it

Those peopel turning left too go WAY over the yellow, and they dont care about the pedestrians' right of way! they often HONK AT US!!! WTF!!!

I try to avoid crossing there, it seems so dangerous.
Old 08-25-2008 at 12:08 PM   #35
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
'
A bit? HOLY POOP DO PEOPLE FLY THROUGH YELLOW LIGHTS IN HAMILTON!

Ive never seen anyting quite like it

Those peopel turning left too go WAY over the yellow, and they dont care about the pedestrians' right of way! they often HONK AT US!!! WTF!!!

I try to avoid crossing there, it seems so dangerous.

I thought the pedestrian crossing signal didn't turn "green" (white really) until the perpendicular traffic had a red, stop signal. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-20-2009 at 10:22 AM   #36
colmolotov

Liked: 0 Times

Suck it up, the route change is a great idea
The B-Line is supposed to be able to cross the city in the shortest amount of time. When two, or three bus's snake through the mac campus, they end up following on the heels of one another instead of being spaced out to provide reliable transit for the people who live in the neighborhood. As both a mac student and a west end resident I see the reason to move the b-line route as making perfect sense. It bothers me on a fundamental level to see Mac students who get a bus pass deal that IS the envy of the city (I spent over a thousand dollars commuting to Mohawk on the bus last year, you don't realize how good we've got it at Mac), complaining about a sensible stop shift that benefits everyone. If you can't stomach a five minute walk to the fastest bus in town, you've got an entitlement problem. Suck it up.

monkeywrench says thanks to colmolotov for this post.
Old 01-20-2009 at 10:34 AM   #37
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmolotov View Post
The B-Line is supposed to be able to cross the city in the shortest amount of time. When two, or three bus's snake through the mac campus, they end up following on the heels of one another instead of being spaced out to provide reliable transit for the people who live in the neighborhood. As both a mac student and a west end resident I see the reason to move the b-line route as making perfect sense. It bothers me on a fundamental level to see Mac students who get a bus pass deal that IS the envy of the city (I spent over a thousand dollars commuting to Mohawk on the bus last year, you don't realize how good we've got it at Mac), complaining about a sensible stop shift that benefits everyone. If you can't stomach a five minute walk to the fastest bus in town, you've got an entitlement problem. Suck it up.
While that may be true, they're planning on taking all bus routes off campus by 2011.

I could deal with the B-Line shift if it was for the reason you gave: a faster route. But it's really just part of the larger plan, a plan that is not "a sensible stop shift that benefits everyone".
Old 01-20-2009 at 01:55 PM   #38
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I thought the pedestrian crossing signal didn't turn "green" (white really) until the perpendicular traffic had a red, stop signal. I could be wrong though.
It doesn't, and at Main there's a two-phase crossing system in place, but a lot of people ignore that and walk out in front of the cars when the cars do in fact have the right of way, hence the honking at pedestrians.
Old 01-20-2009 at 01:57 PM   #39
micadjems
Awesome Member

Actually, when turning right and left from mac the walk signals are on where the cars would go.

Everywhere, when turning right and left, cars have to watch for pedestrians.

Students are apparently targets here.
Old 01-20-2009 at 02:00 PM   #40
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

The other day I was at Main, and the pedestrian sign was the hand, and cars that were on a green light were trying to turn right, and people still walked in front of them, even though the hand had been on for a while. So the cars do have the right of way there, they set up the signals that way on purpose so that cars can turn on to Main.
Old 01-20-2009 at 02:06 PM   #41
micadjems
Awesome Member

I'm not saying people don't do that, I'm saying that there are times when people are allowed to legitimately cross and cars don't respect that.

To get people crossing at the right side, they'd have to stop traffic all ways except going left... seems inefficient, though they may have it for a few seconds *shrug* i dont know.
Old 01-20-2009 at 02:37 PM   #42
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I'm not saying people don't do that, I'm saying that there are times when people are allowed to legitimately cross and cars don't respect that.

To get people crossing at the right side, they'd have to stop traffic all ways except going left... seems inefficient, though they may have it for a few seconds *shrug* i dont know.

Crossing the street at Main and Emerson and at the "crosswalk" at the Hospital have been problems for years. Yes, the cars have the right of way when they have a turn signal and we have the orange hand, but when the 'man says walk' comes up, WE have the right and cars turning from the University on to Main NEVER respect that, it's always a contest of how many can get by before there are students in the middle of the road.

The Hospital is an even bigger problem because they won't stop unless you're right infront of them, they always want to get by as fast as they can. I don't know how many times I've been in the middle of crossing and suddenly my heart jumps into my mouth because all of a sudden there's a vehicle tearing around that damn corner off of Main.

Old 01-20-2009 at 02:45 PM   #43
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Crossing the street at Main and Emerson and at the "crosswalk" at the Hospital have been problems for years. Yes, the cars have the right of way when they have a turn signal and we have the orange hand, but when the 'man says walk' comes up, WE have the right and cars turning from the University on to Main NEVER respect that, it's always a contest of how many can get by before there are students in the middle of the road.

The Hospital is an even bigger problem because they won't stop unless you're right infront of them, they always want to get by as fast as they can. I don't know how many times I've been in the middle of crossing and suddenly my heart jumps into my mouth because all of a sudden there's a vehicle tearing around that damn corner off of Main.
You know what REALLY grinds my gears though. Cars turning right on Main Street West when it's RED.

Cops would make a killing at that corner.
Old 01-20-2009 at 02:47 PM   #44
micadjems
Awesome Member

True that - I was thinking today, why cant they, if not a stop sign, at least put up a sign that tells people HEY THERES A CROSSWALK HERE AND ABOUT A BAJILLION STUDENTS WALK HERE SO HOLD YOUR DAMN HORSES!

I especially hate when they try and hit you, but there's a red light up ahead anyways...

lorend says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 01-20-2009 at 03:22 PM   #45
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

I've brought the issue to the attention of the woman in charge of signs and what not on campus. She agrees that a sign needs to be put in there and it's on her agenda but she's a horribly busy woman. I shall remind her again when I see her next.