MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Express Restarant ericvan1 Restaurants & Food Reviews 2 08-15-2013 10:08 AM
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Dr. Dej on maternity leave? SandraM Academics 8 07-30-2010 03:25 PM
GO Express from Mississauga spoons First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-09-2009 08:56 PM
Express Yourself kokosas Misc 8 06-03-2008 04:45 PM

Hsr B-line Express To Leave Mac

Old 01-20-2009 at 08:52 PM   #46
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

I know this is an old post, but I'll put in my two cents anyway.

I was upset when they moved the beeline out of Mac. I live in Stoney Creek and it takes me 60 minutes when I get the connecting bus (if I don't, it takes an hour and a half to 2 hours). I was mad because it's quite a bit of an extra walk to the hospital or Main and Emerson.

But now, I'm pretty content with it. When the beeline stopped on campus, anyone who was going anywhere would get on it. It was ridiculously crowded. People would get on the beeline just to get off in Westdale, then people like me wouldn't be able to get on until the next bus. So I'm happy the beeling is off campus because now there's SO much less people using it, and it's only the people who actually need it.

What does suck is that every other bus stops at the hospital and every other bus stops at Main and Emerson. It's kind of annoying, because I rush to catch the one at Main and Emerson but I just miss it - and then I don't make it back in time to catch the one at the hospital. I think both buses should stop at the same place, like infront of Williams on Main St. Then I won't need to figure out which one I might make it to before it leaves and then just end up missing both.

Cars turning right on red from campus onto Main really pisses me off. I've been honked at several times when I have the green-it's okay to walk-guy and THEY have the don't turn on red-sign and red light. It's annoying as hell.
Old 01-20-2009 at 09:20 PM   #47
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
When the beeline stopped on campus, anyone who was going anywhere would get on it. It was ridiculously crowded. People would get on the beeline just to get off in Westdale, then people like me wouldn't be able to get on until the next bus. So I'm happy the beeling is off campus because now there's SO much less people using it, and it's only the people who actually need it.
Which is great for you, perhaps, but those people still get on the other buses, which means less room for those going downtown, like me. Call me crazy, but if it's a choice between a crowded bus and a 1-2km walk, I prefer to take the walk. By the time you wait for the bus to come, walking can actually be faster.

What it really comes down to is that the b-line is now far more convenient for those who don't need to go on campus or those coming from Stoney Creek. But in the meantime, it's inconveniencing all the rest of us.

And again, if it was just the b-line moved off campus, that'd be fine. But soon enough it'll all the buses.
Old 01-20-2009 at 10:20 PM   #48
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Which is great for you, perhaps, but those people still get on the other buses, which means less room for those going downtown, like me. Call me crazy, but if it's a choice between a crowded bus and a 1-2km walk, I prefer to take the walk. By the time you wait for the bus to come, walking can actually be faster.

What it really comes down to is that the b-line is now far more convenient for those who don't need to go on campus or those coming from Stoney Creek. But in the meantime, it's inconveniencing all the rest of us.

And again, if it was just the b-line moved off campus, that'd be fine. But soon enough it'll all the buses.
That's true, it's crowded on the Kings now. Why don't you walk to the beeline stop on Main or the hospital? If you go to the hospital, the beeline AND the King stop there, so you'll get on before anyone else. If you go to the Main and Emerson, the beeline and the 5 stop there (I'm pretty sure the 5 goes downtown)

Another thing is: I think they've decreased the number of beelines. The beeline used to come every 10 minutes. Now, it's all random and like every 15 or 20 minutes.
Since they decreased the beeline, they should increase the Kings on campus.
Old 01-21-2009 at 08:48 AM   #49
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah... the buses are still ridiculously crowded anyway, and is still inconvenient for everyone else who takes the other buses. It's a pain in the ass for me, someone who has most classes in the Arts Quad, to walk all the way to Main st when it's either freezing, raining, snowing, etc. And other times, I just had a rough class or long day, and want to get home faster.

It IS kind of annoying that people who live near the first couple of stops in Westdale fill up the bus, but I understand that sometimes you just don't want to walk when the weather is shit outside, or for some other reason.

In any case, taking out the B-line was a huge mistake. It helps to lessen the crowd and make the ride home easier. The gradual taking out of the rest of the buses will suck majorly too. I selfishly hope that this doesn't happen until after I graduate. Time to get a bike I suppose. =D
Old 01-21-2009 at 01:50 PM   #50
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Yeah... the buses are still ridiculously crowded anyway, and is still inconvenient for everyone else who takes the other buses. It's a pain in the ass for me, someone who has most classes in the Arts Quad, to walk all the way to Main st when it's either freezing, raining, snowing, etc. And other times, I just had a rough class or long day, and want to get home faster.

It IS kind of annoying that people who live near the first couple of stops in Westdale fill up the bus, but I understand that sometimes you just don't want to walk when the weather is shit outside, or for some other reason.

In any case, taking out the B-line was a huge mistake. It helps to lessen the crowd and make the ride home easier. The gradual taking out of the rest of the buses will suck majorly too. I selfishly hope that this doesn't happen until after I graduate. Time to get a bike I suppose. =D
I don't care when people take any bus to get to Westdale. I don't expect them to walk that far.
It only bothers me when people getting off in Westdale took the Beeline, because it filled up so fast, people who NEEDED it to get to Stoney Creek had to wait for the next one. Often, the busses that were too crowded for me to get on were my connecting bus - which adds 40 minutes onto my already an hour travel time. Those people could wait an extra 2 minutes for a King, some kind of 5, etc. and take those to Westdale.

When this happened, I talked to my mom about it. What she told me was: the removal of the beeline was done by Mac to "get back" at the city of Hamilton.
Basically..
City of Hamilton: "Peter George, stop having construction trucks go through Westdale and Hamilton"
Peter George: "Oh yeah? Get your beeline off my campus."

Is that even remotely true? I don't know. The main point is: ALL busses coming from McMaster are incredibly more inconvienient than they need to be, especially considering (what it seems like to me) that over half of all bus riders are Mac students.
Old 01-21-2009 at 02:24 PM   #51
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

They need to add more bus lines that go through Mac's campus instead of taking them away. ESPECIALLY on the weekends...if you've ever had to come down on a Sunday, you'd know what I mean. >.<
Old 01-21-2009 at 08:42 PM   #52
jh890

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
True that - I was thinking today, why cant they, if not a stop sign, at least put up a sign that tells people HEY THERES A CROSSWALK HERE AND ABOUT A BAJILLION STUDENTS WALK HERE SO HOLD YOUR DAMN HORSES!

I especially hate when they try and hit you, but there's a red light up ahead anyways...

agreed.
i almost got hit by a car if i hadnt jumped out of the way in time.
Old 01-30-2009 at 09:32 PM   #53
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I don't care when people take any bus to get to Westdale. I don't expect them to walk that far.
FAR?

It's 10ish minutes from Arkell to campus.

That is NOT FAR AT ALL.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-30-2009 at 10:58 PM   #54
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
FAR?

It's 10ish minutes from Arkell to campus.

That is NOT FAR AT ALL.
That's exactly my way of thinking. Why would you want to crowd onto a bus, only to have to squeeze past people to get out a couple minutes later?

Walking saves you from having to wait for the bus, doesn't take much extra time, and gets you some exercise.

Now, if it's pouring rain, of course you take the bus.

lorend says thanks to MarkA for this post.
Old 01-31-2009 at 03:54 AM   #55
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Haha, I remember just yesterday, the bus was really really packed and these three guys came on at the stop across from the Museum of Art. They got off like, two stops after. The bus hadn't even reached King St yet. It's like, people who are going to places like Downtown and Stoney Creek are left in the cold. It's just not fair.
Old 01-31-2009 at 12:12 PM   #56
crhayes

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I take the bus from Hamilton Mountain... it was disappointing that the B-Line was routed off campus because it is the quickest, and not only that but most of the B-Line buses are the new (worm looking - lol) ones and are nicer/cleaner than the older ones.

However I understand why they rerouted the B-Line. It is meant to be the express bus - it takes an average of 9 minutes to get from downtown to [email protected] - but routing it through the school definitely increases the travel time (thus, making it not such a quick alternative).
Old 01-31-2009 at 07:32 PM   #57
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Now, if it's pouring rain, of course you take the bus.
Or just bring an umbrella to school?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-01-2009 at 01:56 PM   #58
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
I take the bus from Hamilton Mountain... it was disappointing that the B-Line was routed off campus because it is the quickest, and not only that but most of the B-Line buses are the new (worm looking - lol) ones and are nicer/cleaner than the older ones.
I wish they'd have a bus go directly from the mountain down to McMaster's campus. It would save us so much more time, but I guess there aren't enough students up there to make the HSR do it ^^

lol @ worm-looking buses
It's true that they are nicer and cleaner though.
Old 02-01-2009 at 02:09 PM   #59
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post
I wish they'd have a bus go directly from the mountain down to McMaster's campus. It would save us so much more time, but I guess there aren't enough students up there to make the HSR do it ^^
if it was advertised as a great way to get up to limeridge quickly, im sure it would be popular. i hate having to take an hour and a half to get there.
Old 02-01-2009 at 02:20 PM   #60
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennevets View Post
if it was advertised as a great way to get up to limeridge quickly, im sure it would be popular. i hate having to take an hour and a half to get there.
You gotta check bus times before hand... it saves alot of time. On good days you can make it up there in 25-40 minutes. Oh, and another tip, take the 25 Wentworth and not the 26 Upper Wellington to get there. Both say they are going to Limeridge, but the 26 takes a lot longer because it takes a backdoor indirect route.