MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No buses to Sqaure One? (Good Friday) MacEng Automotive & Transportation 3 04-02-2010 03:37 PM
Hamilton to Kingston Buses faytless General Discussion 9 10-25-2009 11:19 AM
Go Buses and Halloween Haunt lawleypop General Discussion 8 10-22-2009 09:04 PM
HSR Accordian Buses HeatherH General Discussion 10 07-08-2009 12:18 PM
Free Buses Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 08-19-2008 03:28 PM

HSR Buses

Old 08-18-2010 at 11:49 PM   #46
belindz!

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Are you sure the buses were in service? That's never happened to me before and I've never seen it happen in my lifetime of public transportation, and that's like almost a decade worth of transportation...

I have seen people miss the bus before though, it really sucks but if the buses are late then they can't do anything about it.

What I hate the most is when buses are early but they leave early. But I totally understand that the buses can't just stand at the bus stop due to traffic. But they should try not to be early :\
twice in one night two buses passed by me, both of them were in service and ther weren\t full. i know i was visible because i always have a hundred bags on me. and this was in toronto across the street from my school wher ppl are ALWAYS waiting. its just smart to always allow 15 minutes extra time cuz the ttc or pretty much any public transportation tends to screw ppl over a lot

l.esho likes this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:00 AM   #47
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
My opinion is, if you're not at the bus stop, the driver doesn't have to wait for you.
I know it sounds harsh, but can you imagine if they waited an extra few seconds at every stop? They would end up being very late and mess up the schedules. I've seen people on the bus yell at the drivers for waiting while people ran to catch up to the bus, so I'm not surprised that some drivers don't wait.

I've seen people jaywalk and walk infront of the bus as it's pulling away from the stop, because they know the driver has to stop driving in order to not hit them. But then they expect to get on. Maybe it's a little mean, but if you walk infront of the bus like that, I don't think the driver should have to let you on. You might end up at the bus stop, but I don't have any sympathy if the driver ignores you.

I'm working in Gatineau for the summer and sometimes the busses don't even stop if you're actually at the bus stop. You have to physically stick your hand out so the driver sees you. Kind of like a taxi, but the drivers aren't paid based on how many people they drive so they don't care as much to pick you up.

People complain about the HSR a lot (I used to complain sometimes too), but now that I see what other cities have (Gatineau, Ottawa), I actually like the HSR a lot better.
I agree, it's their duty to pick up the people who are present at the stop. It's the people's duty to be there before the bus departs...without breaking any laws.
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:18 AM   #48
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Memorize the sound of a Cummins ISL inline-six turbodiesel. The HSR likes to use those engines and they're loud enough to hear from a block away. No need to look up

Being from TO, I hate it when people complain about the TTC. They have no idea how good we have it and how hard it is to run a system like that.

dsahota likes this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:41 AM   #49
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
Memorize the sound of a Cummins ISL inline-six turbodiesel. The HSR likes to use those engines and they're loud enough to hear from a block away. No need to look up

Being from TO, I hate it when people complain about the TTC. They have no idea how good we have it and how hard it is to run a system like that.
I love the TTC, it's my #1 mode of transportation but in all honesty it could use a lot of work. Not that they aren't working, but they really need support from the government.
Old 08-19-2010 at 06:38 AM   #50
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

I have had to run too to catch HSR buses..depends on the drivers but then most of them are not so nice to stop. Having missed buses cuz i was across the street happened atleast twice with me..and i couldn't just jaywalk cuz of heavy traffic..the saddest part is waiting for next 10-15 min depending on the schedule -_-' but atleast you are safe!

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 08-19-2010 at 07:45 AM   #51
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Lmao, wow. I love if someone has a bad experience everyone's first thought is to fault that person and not the bus driver. "Is it in service?" I think someone who takes a bus frequently and who's had more than one bad experience would realize if a bus was in service or not.

I don't think I go a day without having a bad experience.

Almost every morning I have to jay walk to catch the Barton bus (John & Jackson stop). Anyone who's been to that stop knows that there's an intersection RIGHT there...I've stood at the intersection, waiting to cross, flagging the Barton bus down as it comes around the corner because I can't cross yet, have the bus driver stop and pick up people and still drive away after they've nodded at me after I wave at them. Of course I have to ****ing jaywalk. I have to jaywalk even more when they decide to not stay on schedule and show up 5 minutes early and not wait. THEY SHOULD HAVE TO WAIT, it doesn't make any ****ing sense.

What's worse is when I'm actually AT the stop and they DON'T STOP.

Even better is trying to catch the 5E in the morning at Main & Thorndale. There's no glass shelter. The seats are right beside the bus stop. There is only one bus that goes that way in the morning. I ****ing love when I'm STANDING right in the middle of the stop and seats and the bus driver drives by me. I shouldn't have to ****ing flag him down, there is only ONE bus that comes every 20 minutes.

HSR bus drivers are the bitchiest, laziest, and most self-loathing people I've ever met. Yay generalizations.

Edit: Seriously, a huge [email protected] the people going on about "driving takes a lot of concentration." I expect you then to tell the bus drivers to STFU next time they're having a conversation. And I don't mean when they're just going "mmhmm, oh, cool, I see" to the random crazies that like to talk to the bus driver. I'm talking about the bus driver asking about "omg, how's your life? I haven't seen your kids in sooo long, what are they, 5 and 7 now? Yea so I was like, in Jamaica last week and you would NOT believe what happened to me..."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 08-19-2010 at 08:03 AM.

l.esho says thanks to lawleypop for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 09:45 AM   #52
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

i have a certain amount of respect for the bus drivers in Canada.

two have stopped when I mistakenly missed a stop and one even boarded me without a fee but then I found some change and paid up.

...lol, if you people knew about Pakistani buses, you'd be more thankful.

they stop anywhere you want, pick you up from anywhere you want...BUT, they don't completely stop the bus, they just slow it down so you can jump out. Many people have been crushed after jumping and many people crossing the roads have been crushed by them.

Oh and did I tell you that they race the other buses?...yeah...like paid races.
Old 08-19-2010 at 10:32 AM   #53
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Lmao, wow. I love if someone has a bad experience everyone's first thought is to fault that person and not the bus driver. "Is it in service?" I think someone who takes a bus frequently and who's had more than one bad experience would realize if a bus was in service or not.

I don't think I go a day without having a bad experience.

Almost every morning I have to jay walk to catch the Barton bus (John & Jackson stop). Anyone who's been to that stop knows that there's an intersection RIGHT there...I've stood at the intersection, waiting to cross, flagging the Barton bus down as it comes around the corner because I can't cross yet, have the bus driver stop and pick up people and still drive away after they've nodded at me after I wave at them. Of course I have to ****ing jaywalk. I have to jaywalk even more when they decide to not stay on schedule and show up 5 minutes early and not wait. THEY SHOULD HAVE TO WAIT, it doesn't make any ****ing sense.

What's worse is when I'm actually AT the stop and they DON'T STOP.

Even better is trying to catch the 5E in the morning at Main & Thorndale. There's no glass shelter. The seats are right beside the bus stop. There is only one bus that goes that way in the morning. I ****ing love when I'm STANDING right in the middle of the stop and seats and the bus driver drives by me. I shouldn't have to ****ing flag him down, there is only ONE bus that comes every 20 minutes.

HSR bus drivers are the bitchiest, laziest, and most self-loathing people I've ever met. Yay generalizations.

Edit: Seriously, a huge [email protected] the people going on about "driving takes a lot of concentration." I expect you then to tell the bus drivers to STFU next time they're having a conversation. And I don't mean when they're just going "mmhmm, oh, cool, I see" to the random crazies that like to talk to the bus driver. I'm talking about the bus driver asking about "omg, how's your life? I haven't seen your kids in sooo long, what are they, 5 and 7 now? Yea so I was like, in Jamaica last week and you would NOT believe what happened to me..."
I only asked if it was in service because I've never had that happen to me but maybe it's just because I don't normally go downtown, and most of my experience is with the TTC. The only time a bus has passed me or I've seen the bus pass people is because it was at capacity and couldn't pick up other people.

Like I said earlier, buses can't just stand in the middle of the road blocking it for 5-10 minutes if they are early especially during rush hour. They would either be blocking the right turn lane or block a lane in a two lane. Just imagine if you were stuck behind a bus for 5-10 minutes and you can't turn because it's blocking the turn lane, or you can't merge because of heavy traffic.

Talking doesn't require your eyes... There's a difference between talking while merging and merging blindly into the left lane while you are looking to your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post

two have stopped when I mistakenly missed a stop and one even boarded me without a fee but then I found some change and paid up.

they stop anywhere you want, pick you up from anywhere you want...BUT, they don't completely stop the bus, they just slow it down so you can jump out. Many people have been crushed after jumping and many people crossing the roads have been crushed by them.

Lol, drag racing with buses... awesome XD
Old 08-19-2010 at 12:51 PM   #54
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

No, but it requires your attention. Where are the studies that say talking while driving is an impairment when you need them.

The only time I'm talking about "blocking a lane" is when they're ****ing off their schedule. Schedules exist for a reason, mirite? If I know that I can arrive at Main and John at 7:38 and the Barton bus is supposed to get there at 7:40 but it comes at 7:37, boom, I'm late for work.

Wanna talk about blocking a lane? How about the one token black driver that drives the 5E/52 and stops @ Main and Cootes like clockwork to get his coffee. I've never not caught that bus with him as a driver and had that happened.

Last edited by lawleypop : 08-19-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 at 01:05 PM   #55
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
No, but it requires your attention. Where are the studies that say talking while driving is an impairment when you need them.

The only time I'm talking about "blocking a lane" is when they're ****ing off their schedule. Schedules exist for a reason, mirite? If I know that I can arrive at Main and John at 7:38 and the Barton bus is supposed to get there at 7:40 but it comes at 7:37, boom, I'm late for work.

Wanna talk about blocking a lane? How about the one token black driver that drives the 5E/52 and stops @ Main and Cootes like clockwork to get his coffee. I've never not caught that bus with him as a driver and had that happened.
Yeah, I know it sucks when the buses are early and as a service they should be right on schedule. But I still think that not blocking a lane is important especially during rush hour (although I don't know how rush hour is in Hamilton). They should drive slower in order to stay on schedule, that would be a lot better than blocking a lane. I think they purposely try to be early because if they run into things down the road they would be late. It's the WORST mentality but I'm pretty sure they get penalized if they are late. Not sure how it works in Hamilton, but in Toronto every weekish (not on the same day, time or place) I always see TTC workers with their clipboards writing down bus numbers and times every time a bus passes by.

That shouldn't be allowed, I would get the bus number and send in a complaint to HSR. The only time the drivers are allowed to take breaks are at the end of their routes.
Old 08-19-2010 at 01:20 PM   #56
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post

Omg, I'm so going to go to Pakistan in my life just for this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 04:35 PM   #57
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:

Why would you aim to get at the bus stop at 7:38, if you know the bus comes at 7:40? That only gives you 2 minutes buffer. The HSR website says you should be there 5 minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive. There could be traffic, the driver's time could be a few minutes off from yours, etc.
I'm always at the bus stop 10 minutes early. I know they are supposed to follow schedules, but it's not their fault if they come 3 minutes early. If it's something important (like an exam), I always take an earlier bus, to give myself enough time. The HSR drivers are pretty good, but I don't think they can be expected to be on time, down to the minute. I wish!
Old 08-19-2010 at 05:29 PM   #58
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Because I already leave an hour early to get to work?

And it doesn't matter, you're missing the point. The Barton is supposed to come after the 27, 23, 7, etc. It doesn't 70% of the time. People count on transfers and schedules for a reason. If you don't want to follow a schedule, don't make a schedule. If people are supposed to plan their day around public transportation and ****ing just hope for a bus to get here soon enough for them to get somewhere on time, then uh... yea.

Old 08-19-2010 at 06:42 PM   #59
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Because I already leave an hour early to get to work?

And it doesn't matter, you're missing the point. The Barton is supposed to come after the 27, 23, 7, etc. It doesn't 70% of the time. People count on transfers and schedules for a reason. If you don't want to follow a schedule, don't make a schedule. If people are supposed to plan their day around public transportation and ****ing just hope for a bus to get here soon enough for them to get somewhere on time, then uh... yea.
I guess it just depends on the individual drivers/routes then. I've been taking the bus for over 5 years and I rarely miss it - maybe only two or three times.
Old 08-19-2010 at 10:00 PM   #60
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

I actually have been able to successfully waive down a bus driver, usually only if I'm close enough and they are already sitting at a red light near the stop. Or I'll run up to the bus and stand in front of the doors and they'll stop.

I have been taking the HSR regularly for about three years now, and in general I have had a good experience with the service. Some horrible experiences too, but generally I find the drivers are decent. The service is slow though. I used to take the 41 to get to work, and I would leave an hour or sometimes an hour and a half early, because the ride there was 30 mins, and the bus only came every 30 mins. So I wanted to be extra sure I wouldn't miss my bus and be late! But really, other than the routes, I find the drivers are decent. A lot of them seem pretty nice to me. If someone is late, (or not at least 5 mins early), there's not much they can do. They can't hold up traffic just to stop for someone.