MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HSR buss pass Mair First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-03-2010 01:31 PM
Bus Pass Opt-Out thirdyearboy General Discussion 60 10-21-2009 10:01 AM
Bus Pass Goce General Discussion 27 08-31-2009 06:03 PM
HSR Bus Pass Sorin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-05-2008 09:56 PM
Mac Pass Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-31-2008 08:48 PM

HSR buss pass

Old 08-24-2010 at 12:12 PM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkites View Post
I live in Burlington, therefore I would only have to pay a small transfer fee, if that to take the bus to the Aldershot area, correct? Thanks for the reply
If you're coming from Hamilton, you won't need to pay a fee at all--you just show your student card to the Hamilton bus driver and ask for a transfer (which is free), then you give the transfer ticket to the Burlington bus driver. If you're coming from Burlington, you won't have a transfer ticket on you, so you'll have to pay the Burlington bus fare to get on.

An alternative is taking the Go bus directly from McMaster to Aldershot Go Station or Burlington Go Station. These buses run pretty regularly from the bus stop near Keyes. A Go bus pass might end up being more expensive though, but it would probably also be more convenient

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523
Do they actually give you a transfer? I know in Toronto you can't get a transfer if you have a pass.

I've done it before...it was only once, so I'm definitely not an expert or anything, but I did it exactly as I described above, and didn't have any issues. It was to get to the Run for the Cure in Burlington...and I had a stop at Mapleview and then ended up getting to Burlington Go Station with the transfer from HSR.

Last edited by nerual : 08-24-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Dkites says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:16 PM   #17
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

The pass lets you use hamilton bus transit for free at any time between Sept 2010 and April 2011.

The sticker for the student card is red, but the hsr is blue. If yours isnt, call the registrar now.
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:19 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you're coming from Hamilton, you won't need to pay a fee at all--you just show your student card to the Hamilton bus driver and ask for a transfer (which is free), then you give the transfer ticket to the Burlington bus driver. If you're coming from Burlington, you won't have a transfer ticket on you, so you'll have to pay the Burlington bus fare to get on.

An alternative is taking the Go bus directly from McMaster to Aldershot Go Station or Burlington Go Station. These buses run pretty regularly from the bus stop near Keyes. A Go bus pass might end up being more expensive though, but it would probably also be more convenient

Edit:

I've done it before...it was only once, so I'm definitely not an expert or anything, but I did it exactly as I described above, and didn't have any issues. It was to get to the Run for the Cure in Burlington...and I had a stop at Mapleview and then ended up getting to Burlington Go Station with the transfer from HSR.
Interesting...

You don't have to buy a GO bus pass though, you can buy 10-ticket rides for a discounted price (10-15% cheaper). 10-tickets are valid as long as you have a valid McMaster Student Card and don't expire. If you plan on taken the bus even less than 10 times in your 4ish years at McMaster then you can get one-way tickets. There are also two-way tickets, I don't think those expire either, but they aren't cheaper (If a one-way costs 10$, a two-way costs 20$).
Old 08-24-2010 at 02:25 PM   #19
KuNFuZeD

Liked: 3 Times

k i live in oakville .. and ive to take the bus everyday (GO buss) monthly pass is 160 bucks is there any way i can get a pass for cheaper
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:02 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuNFuZeD View Post
k i live in oakville .. and ive to take the bus everyday (GO buss) monthly pass is 160 bucks is there any way i can get a pass for cheaper
You're already getting 50$ off (That's almost 25%!!!!) what more do you want?
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:03 PM   #21
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainabilit...#gotra nsitid

This is how to get a post-secondary student discount. I don't actually know what the prices are, so if the $160 is already with a student discount, then I don't think there is a cheaper price.

You used to be able to do this GO student ID thing on MUGSI, but they changed it recently and I'm not sure what exactly the new procedure is. That website seems to outline it pretty well, though.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:10 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

This is how to get a post-secondary student discount. I don't actually know what the prices are, so if the $160 is already with a student discount, then I don't think there is a cheaper price.

You used to be able to do this GO student ID thing on MUGSI, but they changed it recently and I'm not sure what exactly the new procedure is. That website seems to outline it pretty well, though.
You just use your McMaster Student Card now.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:13 PM   #23
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You just use your McMaster Student Card now.
Yeah, the sustainability website says that...but then it has this whole process outlined underneath it. Maybe I'm just completely misunderstanding it, but it seems confusing
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:17 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yeah, the sustainability website says that...but then it has this whole process outlined underneath it. Maybe I'm just completely misunderstanding it, but it seems confusing
Yeah, just ignore all that. I've never had to apply for a GO Transit ID card and when the GO Transit Employees are checking the tickets they just check your McMaster ID card.

nerual says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:23 PM   #25
KuNFuZeD

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:

k thanks guys .. i think 160 bucks is the student pass u get or w..e
i guess i cant go any cheaper thanks anyways
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:25 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
k thanks guys .. i think 160 bucks is the student pass u get or w..e
i guess i cant go any cheaper thanks anyways
Yeah, when you buy the pass make sure you say "Student Monthly to McMaster". You sound disappointed but you should be happy you are saving 50$ a month...

By the way, you are better off buying 10-ticket rides in December and April (Exam Times).
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:31 PM   #27
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:

Your saving alot.

1 way is $6.10 from oakville, so one day will cost you $12.20.

Now, you will probably go a minimum of 20 days per month, aka 40 trips.

So, 40*6.10 = $244.

Your paying $160. Saving $84 per month. What more do you want. Thats almost 35% savings..
Old 08-24-2010 at 04:26 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Your saving alot.

1 way is $6.10 from oakville, so one day will cost you $12.20.

Now, you will probably go a minimum of 20 days per month, aka 40 trips.

So, 40*6.10 = $244.

Your paying $160. Saving $84 per month. What more do you want. Thats almost 35% savings..
Well, an Adult monthly pass is 210$, so they are really saving 50$ like I stated above.
Old 08-27-2010 at 11:00 PM   #29
hannahrocks

Liked: 0 Times

hey does anyone know when we can start using our pass? is it this monday? thanks!
Old 08-27-2010 at 11:07 PM   #30
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahrocks View Post
hey does anyone know when we can start using our pass? is it this monday? thanks!
According to Kylbit's mom, who is an HSR driver, you can use them already. I'd carry some other fare though, in case the driver argues it.