MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need urgent help - Offer rescinded xiaoliu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 89 08-15-2011 05:42 PM
Offer Rescinded laiac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 08-04-2010 01:36 PM
Going to visit McMaster today to speak about rescinded offer - who should I contact? california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-21-2010 03:46 PM
McMaster just rescinded my offer.. what should i do now? california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-19-2010 07:41 AM
McMaster Rescinded Offer???????!!!! MacRK101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 07-16-2010 12:24 PM

I'm freaking out now will my offer be rescinded???

Old 06-27-2013 at 12:59 PM   #1
ly06

Liked: 0 Times

I'm freaking out now will my offer be rescinded???
I'm so stressed out. The guidance counsellor just emailed me and told me that my final average was 82%, while Engineering I requires 83% as a condition. I asked the counsellor if she can boost my mark up and she told me she can't just give me 6 marks. I called Mac at admission office and the answer they gave was pretty official - she told me that if I failed to meet the condition my offer will be rescinded, if I have solid reason I can write a letter, but the result is not guaranteed. Did I call the wrong department? where should I call?
Was anyone in this same situation before? How did it turn out? I'm really scared now. Tell me what I should do..
Old 06-27-2013 at 01:02 PM   #2
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

go talk to individual teachers, ask em to boost you. I did that for english in gr 12 after a poor exam and my teacher gave me a 10% boost :p
Old 06-27-2013 at 01:07 PM   #3
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

All you can do now is talk to individual teachers for each course you've taken and see if anyone will boost you. Go over old tests/assignments, and see if you can find anything that will warrant a mark change. Ask about an extra credit assignment, maybe. Explain your situation and see if you get lucky. I know a lot of teachers in high school that were against mark-boosting, but some were sympathetic and would let the student do extra work or find an error in grading.

Good luck!

ly06 says thanks to xo.monica for this post.
Old 06-27-2013 at 01:08 PM   #4
ly06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielrus View Post
go talk to individual teachers, ask em to boost you. I did that for english in gr 12 after a poor exam and my teacher gave me a 10% boost :p
What was your reason? I think I screwed up the Physics exam while the teacher is practically an asshole, I don't think he is going to help me by any chance. Plus the mark was due today..
Old 06-27-2013 at 01:22 PM   #5
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ly06 View Post
What was your reason? I think I screwed up the Physics exam while the teacher is practically an asshole, I don't think he is going to help me by any chance. Plus the mark was due today..
it's your only chance, though. the cut-off mark won't change and they do NOT make exceptions, so the only way to keep your offer is to boost. Even though the marks are 'due', teachers are allowed to make minor changes if it's due to a marking error, etc. So contact your teachers (like right NOW) and see if there is anything they can do.

Old 06-27-2013 at 01:33 PM   #6
ly06

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
it's your only chance, though. the cut-off mark won't change and they do NOT make exceptions, so the only way to keep your offer is to boost. Even though the marks are 'due', teachers are allowed to make minor changes if it's due to a marking error, etc. So contact your teachers (like right NOW) and see if there is anything they can do.
I just called my physics teacher and he was sarcastic about my request, honestly what an asshole... My grandpa was sick during the exam period do you think that's gonna help if I write a letter about that?
My options are:
Try for Mac
Accept offer from other U: math-- Waterloo; CS --- U of T; Computing -- Queens
I really want to do engineering though...
Old 06-27-2013 at 01:46 PM   #7
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
I just called my physics teacher and he was sarcastic about my request, honestly what an asshole... My grandpa was sick during the exam period do you think that's gonna help if I write a letter about that?
My options are:
Try for Mac
Stop focusing on just your physics teacher and ask ALL of your teachers. explain your situation. even if you can get a couple marks in each class they can add up to the 6 that you need
Old 06-27-2013 at 01:50 PM   #8
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
well basically i was averaging a consistent 90 on all my assignments and tests up until my exam. I'm not sure why or how but i got a 70 on my final exam, which lowered my average to like an 83ish (i think), so i went to me teacher and said I felt that my mark wasn't a fair example of how I worked, and she agreed looking through all the previous units. So she ended up remarking the exam infront of me and that boosted my average up to and 85. The next day I went to her and she said she re-graded a lot of assignments and that my average was a 93 :p so really you gotta go and just ask em for a bit of a boost. You need it more desperately than I do so maybe if there is any course in which you feel you got ripped off on the exam then you should go ask a teacher
Old 06-27-2013 at 01:51 PM   #9
manda77

I would definitely try asking all your teachers! also you could also ask the guidance cousellors at mac if they would consider you doing a summer upgrade of one your courses? it sounds like a hassle for sure but if it gets you back into mac, it would definitely be worth it. Did you email the guidance counsellors in the engineering department or simply admissions?
Old 06-27-2013 at 01:52 PM   #10
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
My options are:
Try for Mac
Yeah, some teachers are mean... that sucks. What other courses did you take this term? Try to contact those teachers. Although if you didn't go to class/do work/ask for help when you needed it, then 99.9% of teachers won't boost... so make sure it's a class you actually worked hard in and the teacher likes you.

If boosting your marks doesn't work out, then I suppose you could write a letter, though I'm not sure how well that would work. I mean, you need a really good reason for that, and even then, it's not guaranteed you get in.

If worse comes to worst, you could accept an offer to another school/program, and transfer to Mac's Engineering the year after, if that's still what you really want. But then you'd have to deal with credits and transferring and all that.

Old 06-27-2013 at 01:53 PM   #11
banana93

Liked: 11 Times

From my personal experience..You would want to ask the teachers that you did well in. When I needed my average to be boosted up for a scholarship, I asked my biology teacher and I already had a very high mark in his class but since I was the student with the best mark in his class, he was more than happy to boost my mark even higher. Usually teachers do students favour if you are one of the top students in his/her class. But I guess it depends on the teachers...GOOD LUCK!

p.s. Some teachers are just jerks. Try every teacher possible and be positive!

Last edited by banana93 : 06-27-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2013 at 01:53 PM   #12
manda77

I just reread it, definitely talk to the guidance counsellors from engineering, admissions people are rude at times lol
Old 06-27-2013 at 02:40 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

What was the minimum average you had to maintain to keep your conditional offer for Engineering I? If the minimum average was 83% or greater than you probably lost your chance as of right now. If it is lower than or equal to 82% then you're fine (obviously).
Old 06-27-2013 at 02:46 PM   #14
ly06

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda77 View Post
I would definitely try asking all your teachers! also you could also ask the guidance cousellors at mac if they would consider you doing a summer upgrade of one your courses? it sounds like a hassle for sure but if it gets you back into mac, it would definitely be worth it. Did you email the guidance counsellors in the engineering department or simply admissions?
I contacted the admission office. Maybe I should try contacting the engineering department. Thanks for your advice!
Old 06-27-2013 at 02:47 PM   #15
ly06

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
What was the minimum average you had to maintain to keep your conditional offer for Engineering I? If the minimum average was 83% or greater than you probably lost your chance as of right now. If it is lower than or equal to 82% then you're fine (obviously).
83% was the average. Frankly I don't get why Mac needs it to be so high. Waterloo/Toronto is like 80 at max. queens requires a 75%