MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need urgent help - Offer rescinded xiaoliu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 89 08-15-2011 05:42 PM
Offer Rescinded laiac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 08-04-2010 01:36 PM
Going to visit McMaster today to speak about rescinded offer - who should I contact? california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-21-2010 03:46 PM
McMaster just rescinded my offer.. what should i do now? california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-19-2010 07:41 AM
McMaster Rescinded Offer???????!!!! MacRK101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 07-16-2010 12:24 PM

I'm freaking out now will my offer be rescinded???

Old 06-28-2013 at 10:52 PM   #31
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldviking View Post
Just appeal to their sense of decency. No principal is supposed to leave a mark at a boundary point without some deliberate review. E.g. Nobody gets 49. It either gets adjusted to 50 or 51, or else dropped down to 48 or less, so that no doubt is left. (You're not supposed to know that, but that's the way it is.) In your case, the average is at the same point. A percent more would get you into the programme clear, and obviously they weren't aware. Let them know how the current average makes a difference, and how you would be able to get into what you want with just a few marks. Do they really want you back for another year to waste your time to get those marks? (Don't come out and say these things, but this is exactly what they will be thinking about.) Convince them that their adjustment right now is not going to come back to embarrass them with your failure a year down the road. If your principal has any kind of scientific background, he would understand about experimental error, and understand that what is a stake fits easily within that range. Be polite. Let them know how you worked hard all year, and were counting on getting the average you need. Let them make the generous gesture. Thank them profusely. Make them feel good about doing the decent thing. And then get out!
Those are some really great points.

At my school, if you were in the range 47-49, you'd either get bumped down to 46, or bumped up to 50.

Btw, do you have a plan b incase you don't get the average bump? Is it possible to take a course in summer school to keep your McMaster acceptance, granted you get a mark that improves your average?
Old 06-28-2013 at 11:14 PM   #32
rtongsta

Liked: 5 Times

go to your school and look at your exams (its in the school policy the students have a right to see them)....maybe they added your marks wrong, or scantron messed up multiple choice. also you can probably boost your essay marks since theyre more subjective
Old 06-28-2013 at 11:15 PM   #33
ly06

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by naval23 View Post
Those are some really great points.

At my school, if you were in the range 47-49, you'd either get bumped down to 46, or bumped up to 50.

Btw, do you have a plan b incase you don't get the average bump? Is it possible to take a course in summer school to keep your McMaster acceptance, granted you get a mark that improves your average?
I do have a plan B. I've asked Mac and seems like they don't accept summer school marks. My plan B would be going into Waterloo for Math if Queen's does not allow me to accept my offer this late. I asked U of T if I can accept my offer to Track One now and their answer was no.. See how much I love Mac I chose Mac over U of T's Engineering .
Old 06-28-2013 at 11:21 PM   #34
ly06

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldviking View Post
Just appeal to their sense of decency. No principal is supposed to leave a mark at a boundary point without some deliberate review. E.g. Nobody gets 49. It either gets adjusted to 50 or 51, or else dropped down to 48 or less, so that no doubt is left. (You're not supposed to know that, but that's the way it is.) In your case, the average is at the same point. A percent more would get you into the programme clear, and obviously they weren't aware. Let them know how the current average makes a difference, and how you would be able to get into what you want with just a few marks. Do they really want you back for another year to waste your time to get those marks? (Don't come out and say these things, but this is exactly what they will be thinking about.) Convince them that their adjustment right now is not going to come back to embarrass them with your failure a year down the road. If your principal has any kind of scientific background, he would understand about experimental error, and understand that what is a stake fits easily within that range. Be polite. Let them know how you worked hard all year, and were counting on getting the average you need. Let them make the generous gesture. Thank them profusely. Make them feel good about doing the decent thing. And then get out!
This is very helpful thank you a lot!
Old 06-29-2013 at 09:24 PM   #35
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times

First off all of your secondary options are good schools.
Secondly..... its good you have an appt with your principal. Majority of principals want to see students succeed. If all of your other marks all year were good except for exam time they can see that. Take proof of any assignments showing how hard you worked. Don't make up any stories. Take responsibility for your average but ask for help and explain why you want to go to mac as your first option.

When I was in highschool, I was so tired of being there I talked to the guidance office who set up an appt with my principal because I wanted to enter college in January and our first semester wouldnt be finished. They let me write my exams before Christmas holidays and come January I started college.

ly06 says thanks to wonderstruck for this post.

oldviking likes this.
Old 06-30-2013 at 10:02 AM   #36
fatimaa

Ways to convince them...
Well, the only thing that comes to mind, other then what everyone has already said, is that just highlight your strengths throughout the year. Say that you worked really hard for this, and you are really serious about your future and you are firm on the program you want to enter. Say you are determined and passionate about this program at Mac. If it was just that one exam, but your other tests were good in physics I think you should show them that part. Say that you did so well doing the year and one exam should not eliminate an entire year of hard work.

ly06 says thanks to fatimaa for this post.
Old 07-01-2013 at 10:32 AM   #37
ly06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatimaa View Post
Ways to convince them...
Well, the only thing that comes to mind, other then what everyone has already said, is that just highlight your strengths throughout the year. Say that you worked really hard for this, and you are really serious about your future and you are firm on the program you want to enter. Say you are determined and passionate about this program at Mac. If it was just that one exam, but your other tests were good in physics I think you should show them that part. Say that you did so well doing the year and one exam should not eliminate an entire year of hard work.
I didn't do very well in the last two tests, but I did good in my ISP project. I have to admit that I did stop working hard for the two weeks after mid-term, but after that I realized and managed back on track. Should I tell the truth to him?
Old 07-01-2013 at 02:00 PM   #38
naeD

I was in this position, except it was for an entrance scholarship (HS to University). Do not worry about it, it will go well.

My grades were adjusted a few weeks after the deadline. Even further, I did not fulfill all of my HS requirements (60 hours of community service) until after the deadline (June 30th). It took a while to process, so that might be why.

Guess what? I am at McMaster in the program I applied for.

Stay calm.

oldviking likes this.