MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A music major, imagine that. (: jessicalynn Introduce Yourself 24 08-28-2010 05:51 PM
Have you been to 3rd World Countries? aviaf General Discussion 18 07-10-2010 06:52 PM
Is Christianity Good for the World? Theophilus General Discussion 48 03-30-2010 05:39 PM
Imagine More ... Music! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 02-01-2010 02:02 PM
Unions: Your thoughts Taunton General Discussion 122 07-27-2009 11:02 PM

Imagine a World without Unions :)

Old 01-10-2011 at 10:40 AM   #1
jordko

Liked: 13 Times

Imagine a World without Unions :)
This strike is crazy. In a tough economy, companies should fire anyone that doesn't like how they are being treated. People should be grateful they have a job in the first place.

The University should not give into this garbage, in fact I'm about ready to go ask one of the picketers for 30$ for my missed lecture and 1 hour of gas used from idling.

On top of that, there's McMaster security being all buddy buddy with the people on strike and hanging out around their fire.

This is just absolutely crazy

danallan says thanks to jordko for this post.

Old 01-10-2011 at 10:46 AM   #2
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

cool story bro.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:48 AM   #3
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Finally someone has their head where it should be and makes use of their brain. (y)

danallan says thanks to jajas for this post.

danallan likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:48 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Yeah, lets go back to the days when workers were stepped all over by their employers, thats cool.

Poor you, being inconvenienced. :/

Old 01-10-2011 at 10:48 AM   #5
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

I see you're an econ student, how ironic... look, I don't like strikes either, but you're kind of an idiot. Go to Indonesia, or Bangladesh, and see what happens with no unions.

Equinox says thanks to bcars for this post.

Deegs14, Equinox, Lois, Patrick.O like this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:51 AM   #6
jordko

Liked: 13 Times

Unions had their time in History. In a globalizing world, if you don't like how your being treated, move!

danallan says thanks to jordko for this post.

danallan likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:55 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordko View Post
Unions had their time in History. In a globalizing world, if you don't like how your being treated, move!
Easy to say that in a position of privilege.

My mom went through shit with one of her employers and if it wasn't for her union rep, she wouldn't have any way of fixing her situation..

This is more of an issue though, it deals with general job security.. I can't say I understand the situation 100%, but I realize the necessity of unionism, especially for large groups of individuals who otherwise have no way of protecting their interests.

Lois likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:58 AM   #8
jajas
Account Disabled by User

I am not saying that we should go back to the days where employees were barely considered human beings. What I am saying is that a lot of employees are arrogant and greedy and they just want more and more. If possible they would even ask to be payed for just sitting at home and sipping a cup of tea.

Let's be realistic here and have some decency, employees have more power than the boss.

Last edited by jhan523 : 01-10-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Violation of the CoC

danallan likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 11:01 AM   #9
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Easy to say that in a position of privilege.

My mom went through shit with one of her employers and if it wasn't for her union rep, she wouldn't have any way of fixing her situation..

This is more of an issue though, it deals with general job security.. I can't say I understand the situation 100%, but I realize the necessity of unionism, especially for large groups of individuals who otherwise have no way of protecting their interests.
Their jobs are needed and important to the university and they know that they can blackmail the university to give them more money. That's what this is about. It's not about having a secure job. There is enough jobs for everyone. But as I already said, they are greedy and want to get more for less.

Amita24 likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 11:12 AM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
I am not saying that we should go back to the days where employees were barely considered human beings. What I am saying is that a lot of employees are arrogant and greedy and they just want more and more. If possible they would even ask to be payed for just sitting at home and sipping a cup of tea.

Let's be realistic here and have some decency, employees have more power than the boss.
The University is taking away a position you've been working 20 years towards because you were promised it'd be worth the improved benefits, the University is no longer offering a pension that you specifically took a lower paying to have, and the university is trying to fire you and basically all other skilled workers in order to higher part-time employees at minimum wage (and not passing any of these saving on to the students).

You know what, you're right, they have NO reason to strike. Shame on those greedy workers.

Last edited by lorend : 01-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.

BlakeM, collinbf, Shmowen all say thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

Old 01-10-2011 at 11:13 AM   #11
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

The wokers are bargaing NOT for a raise in pay, but for their benefits to stay in place. Unions are important because they represent the workers and NOT management. The Strikers Union of 1872 (yes, I've taken labour studies in past) was the true foundtion for current unions and began the basic labour laws we have today. ie. the 9-hour day (how would you like to work 16-24 hours straight?) equalivant pay, adoption of the system which allows us to report grievances and agree to a collective agreement. The workers of this univeristy have as much right to strike as anyone else. Yes, so it inconviniences us students. Think of how much they would be inconvinienced if their benefits were removed? Their children wouldn't have adequate healthcare, dental, no vacations etc. Stop being so selfish and let them fight for their rights.

collinbf says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.

Old 01-10-2011 at 11:58 AM   #12
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
The wokers are bargaing NOT for a raise in pay, but for their benefits to stay in place. Unions are important because they represent the workers and NOT management. The Strikers Union of 1872 (yes, I've taken labour studies in past) was the true foundtion for current unions and began the basic labour laws we have today. ie. the 9-hour day (how would you like to work 16-24 hours straight?) equalivant pay, adoption of the system which allows us to report grievances and agree to a collective agreement. The workers of this univeristy have as much right to strike as anyone else. Yes, so it inconviniences us students. Think of how much they would be inconvinienced if their benefits were removed? Their children wouldn't have adequate healthcare, dental, no vacations etc. Stop being so selfish and let them fight for their rights.
So is it justifiable that they fight for their rights, yet the people on campus have to find their own means of getting food just because these greedy people do not care about the people they serve through their job ? They only care about their own career.

And I have worked 2 jobs in the summer and I didn't complain one bit because I chose to do that. In this world if you want to make money you should be willing to do anything and not try to get more for less, especially if you do not deserve it.

In engineering they teach you that your first priority of your job is to serve the public.

danallan likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 12:01 PM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

cool thread ajajajajajaj

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

0t10, siddiquo like this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 12:04 PM   #14
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The University is taking away a position you've been working 20 years towards because you were promised it'd be worth the improved benefits, the University is no longer offering a pension that you specifically took a lower paying to have, and the university is trying to fire you and basically all other skilled workers in order to higher part-time employees at minimum wage (and not passing any of these saving on to the students).

You know what, you're right, they have NO reason to strike. Shame on those greedy workers.
This is a business, it is in the companies' (McMaster University) best interest to save money and they have all rights to do whatever it takes to save money. With your same concept you should have never got a summer job because the company probably decreased the hours of full time people so that they can hire a you and me, students for less and who do the same work.

Why is there so much ignorance in this world ?? Honestly.
Old 01-10-2011 at 12:57 PM   #15
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordko View Post
This strike is crazy. In a tough economy, companies should fire anyone that doesn't like how they are being treated. People should be grateful they have a job in the first place.

The University should not give into this garbage, in fact I'm about ready to go ask one of the picketers for 30$ for my missed lecture and 1 hour of gas used from idling.

On top of that, there's McMaster security being all buddy buddy with the people on strike and hanging out around their fire.

This is just absolutely crazy

Let me know when you go ask for those $30. Until then, I can't take you seriously

bcars likes this.