MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A music major, imagine that. (: jessicalynn Introduce Yourself 24 08-28-2010 05:51 PM
Have you been to 3rd World Countries? aviaf General Discussion 18 07-10-2010 06:52 PM
Is Christianity Good for the World? Theophilus General Discussion 48 03-30-2010 05:39 PM
Imagine More ... Music! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 02-01-2010 02:02 PM
Unions: Your thoughts Taunton General Discussion 122 07-27-2009 11:02 PM

Imagine a World without Unions :)

Old 01-10-2011 at 10:34 PM   #61
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Stop having such a hardon for engineering. It's actually embarrassing.
Logged in to like this.

Old 01-10-2011 at 10:34 PM   #62
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
I have two words for your engineering/strike comment: General Motors.

Kthx.
I'm inclined to believe Telus fits this bill, too.

Old 01-10-2011 at 10:38 PM   #63
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

It seems that picketing on Sterling was a very poor choice for these employees, as it is not fully making the commuting student a supporter, or even a sympathizer, of their cause. It also seems quite strange to me that a strike involving hospitality staff is promoting their cause among a group of people who are, at best, minimally associated with the changes which have brought about this strike. I support unions and striking, but in this case, I'm not convinced that setting up picket lines along main junctions was an apt strategy.

So, I propose that the union which is currently on strike (or even future striking unions in general) set up a series of public debates - possibly in the Student Center or in some other suitable venue - where we students and the Hamilton community at large can hear the reasons for their protest. I am much more open to, and respecting of, an intelligent and even-handed debate or discussion than I am to shouting and physical obstruction. Let the well-reasoned argument be the one that wins.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:39 PM   #64
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
Read my signature hun, I have yet to come across an engineer who went on strike. Read my earlier posts, if these people do not like their job terms leave. Which part of LEAVE did you not understand.
I went on strike, in fact I was on the bargaining team that had to make the call to go on strike. Last I checked I'm pretty sure I qualify as an engineer-in-training and future P.eng. You might want to also check out SPATEA (you know, the people who built Canada's space program) , they're not a union but they damn well go on strike if their employer messes with them. In fact, a quick google would lead you to many many situations where engineers went on strike in Canada, the US and around the world. Perhaps you should acquire some work experience in engineering before you go pretending you know so much about the profession.

Old 01-10-2011 at 10:42 PM   #65
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
It seems that picketing on Sterling was a very poor choice for these employees, as it is not fully making the commuting student a supporter, or even a sympathizer, of their cause. It also seems quite strange to me that a strike involving hospitality staff is promoting their cause among a group of people who are, at best, minimally associated with the changes which have brought about this strike. I support unions and striking, but in this case, I'm not convinced that setting up picket lines along main junctions was an apt strategy.
The reason why the picket lines are at the entrances is that the University Administration can and will charge picketers with trespassing if they come onto campus. The union would probably love to picket directly outside the administrations' offices and their workplaces instead of at the entrance, but then the police would be called and they'd all be hauled off to jail.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:46 PM   #66
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
The reason why the picket lines are at the entrances is that the University Administration can and will charge picketers with trespassing if they come onto campus. The union would probably love to picket directly outside the administrations' offices and their workplaces instead of at the entrance, but then the police would be called and they'd all be hauled off to jail.
Ah, I see. However, it still seems rather odd to protest this issue at those places - it attracts more negative attention to their cause than sympathy. I bet there are a few who have been held up at Sterling that will automatically support the McMaster side of the argument simply because they don't want to support the people who stopped them from getting to school, regardless of their cause.
Old 01-11-2011 at 10:05 PM   #67
jordko

Liked: 13 Times

Everyone should stop buying their food in the student center as a result of making us wait in these long lines.
Old 01-11-2011 at 10:14 PM   #68
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordko View Post
How much does it cost to park underground at the hospital?

Mmm I'm not positive, I think $15 a day? Yes, I know, hugely ridiculous. But it's an option. How much does it cost to park on campus?

EDIT:

Visitor Parking Rates for Hamilton Health Sciences

$3.25 for ½ hour
$3.25 each additional ½ hour.
$15.00 Day Max.

Lost Ticket Fee $15.00

2 Week Pass (new) $53.50
2 Week Pass (renewal) $48.50

10 entrance/exit voucher card- $90.00 + $5.00 fee for the card
(no expiry date)

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 01-11-2011 at 10:17 PM.