MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM
Internet in Res Ruggedman Residence & Housing 40 09-25-2008 11:45 PM
Internet in Res Chad General Discussion 26 08-18-2007 03:25 PM

Internet Access

Old 07-06-2010 at 12:59 PM   #1
LivLucy

Liked: 0 Times

Internet Access
Hello!

I need to buy a computer for school and I was wondering about internet access on campus and in residence. Is it mostly wireless? And I need some sort of cable for connecting to the internet too?
Sorry, I am really computer illiterate, especially when it comes to laptops.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-06-2010 at 01:27 PM   #2
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

you will have wireless internet through out the campus. You have to just log on using your mac id and pw. For residence you need an ethernet cable --> HERE for 2$ .

You will also have to download something called 'cisco' once your on campus if you have a windows laptop.

Goodluck
-Rioch
Old 07-06-2010 at 01:40 PM   #3
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Cisco's not necessary anymore (or at least it wasn't a few weeks ago when I went to library to do some studying). We just login with our macIDs and password on a website page that automatically pops up when we try opening a browser (it's the same page that used to pop up when you didn't have Cisco installed I think).

Not positive again, and dunno if they're planning to keep it this way during the school year as well, correct me if I'm wrong =O

Edit: Also, in terms of ethernet cable, they used to give 1 out to each person in residence for free when you move in. Not sure if they still do that though because they always keep changing things like that...
Old 07-06-2010 at 01:42 PM   #4
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

A few corrections:

- UTS gives incoming residence students an ethernet cable for free when they move in (something they've been doing for the past three years)
- you don't need to download the Cisco free agent anymore to log into the 'MacConnect' wireless: simply open a webbrowser and they'll take you to a MACID log-in page
- your room in res probably won't have wireless (I say probably because there are certain rooms on certain floors in certain buildings that can receive it), so you'll need the ethernet cable. I *think* housing is in the process of getting wireless in the basement and study rooms of all buildings, but as far as I'm aware, only certain buildings will have wireless in these locations
- there is wireless virtually everywhere else on campus

Old 07-06-2010 at 02:02 PM   #5
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
A few corrections:

- UTS gives incoming residence students an ethernet cable for free when they move in (something they've been doing for the past three years)
- you don't need to download the Cisco free agent anymore to log into the 'MacConnect' wireless: simply open a webbrowser and they'll take you to a MACID log-in page
- your room in res probably won't have wireless (I say probably because there are certain rooms on certain floors in certain buildings that can receive it), so you'll need the ethernet cable. I *think* housing is in the process of getting wireless in the basement and study rooms of all buildings, but as far as I'm aware, only certain buildings will have wireless in these locations
- there is wireless virtually everywhere else on campus
Nice

I guess a bit changes over the summer. Cisco got annoying sometimes
Thanks for the corrections
Old 07-06-2010 at 02:24 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yea, no more clean access agent.

Also, if your moving into res, your provided with an ethernet wire. Most res' have wired internet, but some locations in matthews for example, have wireless (thanks to keyes)
Old 07-06-2010 at 02:27 PM   #7
PockyWarrior

Places like Keyes downstairs lobby has wireless too let alone their study rooms lol
Old 07-06-2010 at 02:28 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You can also get wireless in some Edwards rooms because it's so close to the Arts Quad.

vp15 likes this.
Old 07-06-2010 at 02:34 PM   #9
nonikhanna

Liked: 3 Times

what if we bring a router to res and use the wireless from that. would we still have to log in?
Old 07-06-2010 at 02:36 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
what if we bring a router to res and use the wireless from that. would we still have to log in?
No, but you should check with UTS first. I don't think routers are allowed in residence...
Old 07-06-2010 at 03:46 PM   #11
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Is there a download limit per day?
Old 07-06-2010 at 03:59 PM   #12
PockyWarrior

I'm not sure about a specific limit, but I know if you download/stream things a lot they seem to cap your speeds

At least they seemed to for me after I streamed videos all day long one day, the next day even opening up facebook took way too long lol.. But my roommate's net worked fine and all

That happened a few times 'cause I didn't really learn my 'lesson'
Old 07-06-2010 at 05:11 PM   #13
camais

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyWarrior View Post
I'm not sure about a specific limit, but I know if you download/stream things a lot they seem to cap your speeds

At least they seemed to for me after I streamed videos all day long one day, the next day even opening up facebook took way too long lol.. But my roommate's net worked fine and all

That happened a few times 'cause I didn't really learn my 'lesson'
they did the same for me but it didnt stop me
id watch an arsenal game and another game one day, i automatically knew they would throttle me the day after...
Old 07-07-2010 at 01:21 PM   #14
LivLucy

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you everyone! So I just wanted to double check, we are given an ethernet cable in residence for free (in all residence buildings?) and I dont' have to download this "cisco"? And oh what is UTS?
Old 07-07-2010 at 01:34 PM   #15
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivLucy View Post
Thank you everyone! So I just wanted to double check, we are given an ethernet cable in residence for free (in all residence buildings?) and I dont' have to download this "cisco"? And oh what is UTS?

Forget that CISCO was even mentioned. You do not need it anymore. Also UTS (University Technology Services). If you got a problem with your MAC ID, email, MUGSI , computer problem at the library or lab you can contact them.