MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off Campus Internet - Tips? blackdragon Computers & Tech 24 08-27-2012 02:46 PM
Off-Campus Internet husayn12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-18-2011 04:05 PM
Internet on Campus jo87 General Discussion 6 11-30-2009 11:03 PM
Wtf is wrong with the campus internet? Ownaginatios General Discussion 23 11-25-2009 10:56 PM
Wi-fi internet in campus?? endearing66 General Discussion 18 07-06-2009 10:10 PM

Is internet getting worse on campus?

Old 01-20-2013 at 09:31 PM   #31
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

would it cost them alot of time and money to get more installed?

if money is the issue, im sure all of us are more than willing to put in money. There are about 21, 000 + students at mac if each one pitches in ~ 2 to 3 bux, we'll have more than enough to resolve this issue. Im just guessin...

they could get the job done over reading week
Old 01-20-2013 at 09:34 PM   #32
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Seems to be getting worse... but I have my own data plan, and graduating soon... so whatever..
Old 01-21-2013 at 09:09 AM   #33
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
would it cost them alot of time and money to get more installed?

if money is the issue, im sure all of us are more than willing to put in money. There are about 21, 000 + students at mac if each one pitches in ~ 2 to 3 bux, we'll have more than enough to resolve this issue. Im just guessin...

they could get the job done over reading week
SOLAR car, CFMU fees and now you want me to pay for internet too?!?

Old 01-21-2013 at 09:53 AM   #34
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I usually get superb wifi @T13. god this morning took so long to connect+ was either super good or super bad
Old 01-23-2013 at 06:29 PM   #35
microcrashbo

Liked: 0 Times

Sheridan College
I hate to say it but I came from Sheridan college and you get Wifi pretty much every where there, and their new campus is wireless N which is extremely fast and reliable.

I think that you just have to plugin to a LAN connection and carry a really long cord

But seriously the network is very bad.

I think this would be a issue for the next SU election and more quiet study areas - maybe?
Old 01-23-2013 at 07:50 PM   #36
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Ponyo likes this.
Old 01-23-2013 at 08:57 PM   #37
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Folks, this entire thread would be redundant if you had come across/read this news update: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/posts/79

Please follow @msu_mcmaster and like our Page on Facebook www.facebook.com/msumcmaster to keep up to date with our projects, similarly this article could also have been found through a 30 second search of "Wi-fi" on the MSU Website. I'm at a loss for what else we can do to further promote this stuff, engagement and communication is a two way route and while we are doing our best to provide up to date and daily updates, this cannot work without a reciprocal effort; and to be fair to the MI audience I did post a front page news article too about the survey.

WIFI Improvements are coming in sometime in February for the locations listed there and the MSU is working with UTS to develop a multi year funding proposal to completely cover all of campus and upgrade the older band technology.

As for more technical specifics, they are doing more than just adding bridges one of the biggest issues is the older routers that are prevalent everywhere, I don't specifically know why but all it takes is a user or two with an older configured laptop to bring the entire wireless network in the building to a grinding halt by taking the signal down to the level their computer is using (Can someone explain better?). To alleviate this: The activities will include an upgrade to all of the existing 802.11b/g access points (which are very old) with the newer technology 802.11b/g/n access points. It also adds additional Access Point capacity to the areas where coverage is currently very thin.
The highlights of the upgrade are:
• Support for 802.11n higher speed data rates
• CleanAir technology to actively monitor and avoid RF interference
• Dual Band radios operating in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency band
• (increasing capacity while reducing strain on the crowded 2.4 GHz band)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-23-2013 at 09:03 PM.

GCSM says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

Snowman, Yogurt like this.
Old 01-23-2013 at 09:41 PM   #38
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

@huzaifa47:

In response to the article you posted, would you be able to tell us why the Eng Faculty doesn't want access points installed in 264 and 376?

Edit: Just to explain you point about older devices. Wireless networks are only as fast as the slowest device on them. In this case, if a user with a Wireless b network card connects, the AP must slow down connection speeds to match B's max speed (11 Mbps). Someone correct me if I am wrong

Last edited by GCSM : 01-23-2013 at 09:55 PM.

huzaifa47 says thanks to GCSM for this post.
Old 01-23-2013 at 09:43 PM   #39
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Folks, this entire thread would be redundant if you had come across/read this news update: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/posts/79

Please follow @msu_mcmaster and like our Page on Facebook www.facebook.com/msumcmaster to keep up to date with our projects, similarly this article could also have been found through a 30 second search of "Wi-fi" on the MSU Website. I'm at a loss for what else we can do to further promote this stuff, engagement and communication is a two way route and while we are doing our best to provide up to date and daily updates, this cannot work without a reciprocal effort; and to be fair to the MI audience I did post a front page news article too about the survey.

WIFI Improvements are coming in sometime in February for the locations listed there and the MSU is working with UTS to develop a multi year funding proposal to completely cover all of campus and upgrade the older band technology.

As for more technical specifics, they are doing more than just adding bridges one of the biggest issues is the older routers that are prevalent everywhere, I don't specifically know why but all it takes is a user or two with an older configured laptop to bring the entire wireless network in the building to a grinding halt by taking the signal down to the level their computer is using (Can someone explain better?). To alleviate this: The activities will include an upgrade to all of the existing 802.11b/g access points (which are very old) with the newer technology 802.11b/g/n access points. It also adds additional Access Point capacity to the areas where coverage is currently very thin.
Cool! How many years will this take?

VitaSoy likes this.
Old 01-23-2013 at 10:00 PM   #40
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:

I remember that post, but, like most of the stuff the Student Union puts out, I tend to become very blazé and sceptical. It's all talk until its actually in... It's a good plan, but is it going to be implemented? There are a few lecture halls I keep going to which have had broken chairs for the last several years (?). If chairs cannot be dealt with... wifi will be? :S

Afzal, Kudos, qwerty91, Zachary like this.
Old 01-23-2013 at 10:11 PM   #41
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

What about libraries. We tend to spend most of our internet time there, rather than in lecture halls, and frankly, they're terrible for the most part.

ak21, jim1, jon.john23 like this.
Old 01-23-2013 at 11:53 PM   #42
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSM View Post
@huzaifa47:

In response to the article you posted, would you be able to tell us why the Eng Faculty doesn't want access points installed in 264 and 376?

Edit: Just to explain you point about older devices. Wireless networks are only as fast as the slowest device on them. In this case, if a user with a Wireless b network card connects, the AP must slow down connection speeds to match B's max speed (11 Mbps). Someone correct me if I am wrong
There has been an update since then, I was able to work with the Dean and Associate Dean of Engineering and they approved JHE 276 and 376; there apparently seemed to be miscommunication between the faculty and UTS on that matter.

As for Libraries, they are scheduled to be part of the multi year business plan that is currently being worked upon for the 2013 University Budget.

RyanC, I don't know where that sentiment comes from to be honest. Although there have been unanticipated delays here and there, I don't recall a major project that the MSU talked about that then got cancelled.

I assume you might be referring to the Google Gmail project me and MDL started all the way back in Winter 2010 but took until Reading Week 2011 (Or was it '12?) to come out to the student body? None of the any delays were caused by lethargy or apathy on our end. Legal proceedings, red tape and procurement takes a very large amount of time at McMaster University just like any multi million organization that is run through an extremely decentralized model of governance.

As for broken chairs/infrastructure that is part of the $150 Million Deferred Maintenance problem at McMaster I've described in the research policy passed this past Sunday: http://www.scribd.com/doc/121402665/...-Growth-Policy This funding can come from the University or the Provincial Government but both are passing the responsibility back and forth to each other.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-24-2013 at 12:00 AM.

nikJ likes this.
Old 01-24-2013 at 02:55 AM   #43
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
I don't specifically know why but all it takes is a user or two with an older configured laptop to bring the entire wireless network in the building to a grinding halt by taking the signal down to the level their computer is using (Can someone explain better?).
So basically the short term solution is to just murder all the hipsters we see at school still using these things:

Old 01-24-2013 at 01:48 PM   #44
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

honestly you just have to find the places on campus where traffic is low.

but you're SOL if you think im gonna tell you the best spots...
Old 01-31-2013 at 07:55 PM   #45
patawaat

Liked: 0 Times

Blame the torrenters!