MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTF is up with Mac Internet?! Afzal Computers & Tech 47 03-20-2012 08:39 PM
Internet amigojoe General Discussion 9 05-07-2011 01:54 PM
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM

Internet Help

Old 06-12-2013 at 12:44 PM   #1
moe23

Liked: 0 Times

Internet Help
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to decide on a cable Internet service and I was wondering if 6 Mbps Down / 1.5 Mbps Up would be enough for two people who regularly surf the Internet (youtube, social media, email etc) and don't download excessively (just a movie or music once in a while). Any opinions will be appreciated!
Old 06-12-2013 at 01:21 PM   #2
SilentHero-_-

Liked: 17 Times

Honestly, that should be enough. You don't need more than what you described. I think it might be bottlenecked if both of you were watching a 1080p video, and are streaming several things simultaneously. The bottleneck may be more related to the amount of devices and requests you send rather than what you do. Just don't do any gaming or heavy downloading. Single-tasking is key. I hope that helps. Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2013 at 01:50 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

6 Mbps = 600 MB/s roughly. 1.5 Mbps = 150 kb/s upload. That is low upload but unless you're uploading through torrents or whatever it should be fine.
Old 06-12-2013 at 03:09 PM   #4
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

If you are trying to stream several things at once (Netflix, Youtube, etc) and play a game online you may have some lag problems. Also make sure that when you set up the router, if either of you games online, that the setting for giving priority to streaming video is off otherwise there might be issues.

Cheers and have a great summer!