MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New soft drink provider dabulls General Discussion 48 09-15-2010 11:07 PM
Chatr LAUNCHED! (New provider) blackdragon Computers & Tech 64 09-05-2010 05:15 AM
Cell Phone Provider Service aya017 Computers & Tech 18 04-13-2010 12:44 AM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM
Internet in Res Chad General Discussion 26 08-18-2007 03:25 PM

Internet Provider

Old 07-29-2010 at 10:21 PM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Ive been with AOL for years now (laugh all you want). They have DSL connection @ approx 4-8mbps (depends on location) for $40/month for UNLIMITED upload and download...and they dont throttle torrents. Maybe the best part of all tho is that there is access to HULU, fox.com etc (without proxies) because the connection originates from the states.
Sounds tempting, but AOL kind of killed all my intentions of ever wanting their service when they thought the best way to advertise was by sending out over 1,000,000,000 stupid trial CDs years ago.

If it weren't for all the idiots in the US that won't switch from AIM to MSN messenger like the rest of the world (besides China), AOL would have died ~10 years ago.
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:22 PM   #17
Isabel

Liked: 3 Times

Cogeco may be more expensive (usu. $10 more for the same service) but they're waaaay easier to deal with, payments, set up, fixing your problems, changing your service over to someone else's name without having to change your plan at all. So easy. But Bell is definitely cheaper if that's what you want to do. I thought it as too much of a hassle to have to go in with 2 pieces of ID just to get Internet. Cogeco let me do it all over the phone. And it was set up the next day. So. That's my opinion.
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:25 PM   #18
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Cogeco may be more expensive (usu. $10 more for the same service) but they're waaaay easier to deal with, payments, set up, fixing your problems, changing your service over to someone else's name without having to change your plan at all. So easy. But Bell is definitely cheaper if that's what you want to do. I thought it as too much of a hassle to have to go in with 2 pieces of ID just to get Internet. Cogeco let me do it all over the phone. And it was set up the next day. So. That's my opinion.
But Cogeco is super **** when it comes to surpassing the bandwidth limit.
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:48 PM   #19
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Ya thats one of the good things about Cogeco. Their customer service is great. I've been with Cogeco for years now and I've never had a problem with them besides the bandwidth stuff. Teksavvy on the other hand although they have that really tempting offer of unlimited bandwidth, I've heard more horror stories then good ones from people doing the switch. Some have tech. problems and have to wait days for someone to fix it up. So that is something to consider.
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:27 PM   #20
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

you`ll wanna get something plenty of bandwith, especially if even just two or three of you are power users
Old 09-08-2010 at 08:47 PM   #21
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Anyone ever use acanac as their ISP before? How are they?
Old 09-08-2010 at 09:36 PM   #22
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Anyone ever use acanac as their ISP before? How are they?
I use Acanac at home. All I can say is that it's as good as or better than Sympatico, since that's what I had before. Bell was charging me about $55 for unlimited bandwidth + $3-$5 modem rental a month, where Acanac was $18.95 ($33.95 after the first year).

Also, with Acanac, you can set up a secure SSH tunnel that is supposed to allow you to avoid Bell's throttling of torrents. I've used it recently, and it seems to make a difference.

Deegs14 says thanks to MarkA for this post.
Old 09-08-2010 at 11:07 PM   #23
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
I use Acanac at home. All I can say is that it's as good as or better than Sympatico, since that's what I had before. Bell was charging me about $55 for unlimited bandwidth + $3-$5 modem rental a month, where Acanac was $18.95 ($33.95 after the first year).

Also, with Acanac, you can set up a secure SSH tunnel that is supposed to allow you to avoid Bell's throttling of torrents. I've used it recently, and it seems to make a difference.

Hey I just got Acanac, how do you set up the SSH tunnel?
Old 09-08-2010 at 11:40 PM   #24
ac324

Liked: 0 Times

Can't everyone agree Cogeco ftw?