MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering Maintain Academics 19 04-07-2011 01:24 PM
what course do I have to take for 3rd computer engineering? hellrise Academics 2 02-23-2010 08:13 PM
Computer Engineering Timetable.. blackdragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-21-2009 04:36 PM
Engineering advice: What kind of marks should I aim for? kenvin100 Academics 4 09-05-2008 10:27 AM

What kind of computer should I get for McMaster Engineering next year?

Old 04-30-2011 at 10:41 AM   #46
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
actually I have found alot of people,especially those who aren't interested in computer when asked why they bought a mac don't give satisfactory answers, people that wouldn't even be reading this thread.
-Wonderful trackpad - better than what you will find on any PC. And larger too.

-Fantastic screen

-Great battery life

-Amazing keyboard that is great to type on

-Wonderful operating system that uses a ton of trackpad gestures

-Great support if something goes wrong

That enough reasons for you? Stop assuming that people only buy Macs because of good marketing. Its not true.

Also, don't get a desktop. Being able to take your laptop to study rooms in res is very useful.

TheCrucible likes this.
Old 04-30-2011 at 11:21 AM   #47
HenryCheung

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
-Wonderful trackpad - better than what you will find on any PC. And larger too.

-Fantastic screen

-Great battery life

-Amazing keyboard that is great to type on

-Wonderful operating system that uses a ton of trackpad gestures

-Great support if something goes wrong

That enough reasons for you? Stop assuming that people only buy Macs because of good marketing. Its not true.

Also, don't get a desktop. Being able to take your laptop to study rooms in res is very useful.
My 15.6" Acer laptop was $500 new from bestbuy it has

-LED back-lit LCD screen, very good contrast ratio and colours

-I can run 6 hours on battery with Intel HD graphics or game on GT330M

-Full Size Keyboard (though I wish they didn't make the shift key so small)

-My Acer laptop also support multi touch, on the pad and on the touchscreen (can zoom in/out, scroll/pan, two finger swipe for forward/backward/scroll)

-Acer has amazing tech support, my friend scratched the motherboard, suffice to say don't use a knife to open a cover that is stuck... he sent it back to Acer and they fixed it under warranty in a week despite him clearly opening it and damaging it, which should of voided warranty I might add

Here's a review of a laptop in the same series, though i can't seem to find my specific laptop as it was discontinued.

Also I'm not assuming people only get macs because of marketing, as I posted before, I made observations and inquiries into the matter and have come to the conclusion that many people seem to be heavily influenced by those around them using mac products mostly thanks to Apples method of product release and design, just like our original poster who saw alot of macbooks in thode library and inquired as to whether he should purchase one.

And a desktop vs laptop is a life style choice, if you don't need the power of a desktop for gaming/rendering than a laptop should be fine, but a netbook is more convenient to carry around and more comfortable to use in those squishy little lecture hall seats. So a netbook+desktop combo solves more problems than having a single powerful laptop, unless you really need to game/render on the fly, which some people do, especially people working with auto cad, 3d max and adobe CS programs.

Last edited by HenryCheung : 04-30-2011 at 11:35 AM.

m0ns13ur says thanks to HenryCheung for this post.

m0ns13ur likes this.
Old 04-30-2011 at 11:30 AM   #48
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCheung View Post
-Acer has amazing tech support, my friend scratched the motherboard, suffice to say don't use a knife to open a cover that is stuck... he sent it back to Acer and they fixed it under warranty in a week despite him clearly opening it and damaging it, which should of voided warranty I might add
I dropped my MacBook Pro after two days and the screen broke. They fixed it under warranty despite me being the obvious (and admitted) cause of the problem. I've been really happy with Apple's technical support for the past couple years I've had the laptop.

My housemate has an Acer and says the same thing. He breaks his constantly, somehow, and he's paid very little into getting it repaired.
Old 04-30-2011 at 12:01 PM   #49
HenryCheung

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I dropped my MacBook Pro after two days and the screen broke. They fixed it under warranty despite me being the obvious (and admitted) cause of the problem. I've been really happy with Apple's technical support for the past couple years I've had the laptop.

My housemate has an Acer and says the same thing. He breaks his constantly, somehow, and he's paid very little into getting it repaired.
Apple does have great tech support and their products are technically sound. My arguments have always been about why people buy macbooks and pros/cons of Apples products and methods.
Old 04-30-2011 at 12:03 PM   #50
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

The kind of the normal variety should suffice.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

m0ns13ur likes this.
Old 04-30-2011 at 12:07 PM   #51
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

I''m also thinking of buying a Mac, I've heard too many good things about it. But I'm not sure if I should get Applecare although salespeople highly recommends it. If I spend over $1200 on a laptop, shouldn't I expect it not to break down given that I take care of it well? Is applecare a rip-off?
Old 04-30-2011 at 12:23 PM   #52
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I personally don't think the extended AppleCare is necessary. You get a 1 year warranty with the computer and that's enough time to find out whether or not your computer is a lemon.

jeboi7 says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 04-30-2011 at 12:30 PM   #53
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Yea, that's what I thought too. I'm prob gonna wait till back to school promotion to get one.
Old 04-30-2011 at 12:51 PM   #54
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Yeah the back to school promotion is the cheapest you're going to find one. Plus you can sell the iPod if you already have one and cut the cost down an extra $200.
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:20 PM   #55
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Acer has the worst computers ever , them and HP
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:23 PM   #56
HenryCheung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
They do indeed have some terrible laptops, but Acers new line of Aspire-5745 laptops seem to be fairing quite well, I being a proud owner of one of them.
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:33 PM   #57
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
I'll agree that HP make bloated pieces of shit but I have seen some nice Acer ones with pretty good specs and battery life. Personally I'm not a fan of Toshiba or Compaq either. I have at one time or another owned both and they're riddled with crapware.

I'm not sure which ones but I've definitely seen graphics-switching on Acer laptops, which is good for battery (as far as I know).

Last edited by RememberTwce : 04-30-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:53 PM   #58
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I don't like HP, Compaq, Dell, Acer or Gateway. Sony, ASUS and Lenovo are what I would buy if I was going to buy another notebook PC, most likely Lenovo.
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:56 PM   #59
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

My Dell laptop was actually the best Windows computer I owned. Asides from the tech support, I never ran into a problem with the company or the laptop.

Guess I'm the only one :'(

Last edited by RememberTwce : 04-30-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2011 at 02:01 PM   #60
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I've heard too many horror stories from friends who've owned Dells