MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering Maintain Academics 19 04-07-2011 01:24 PM
what course do I have to take for 3rd computer engineering? hellrise Academics 2 02-23-2010 08:13 PM
Computer Engineering Timetable.. blackdragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-21-2009 04:36 PM
Engineering advice: What kind of marks should I aim for? kenvin100 Academics 4 09-05-2008 10:27 AM

What kind of computer should I get for McMaster Engineering next year?

Old 04-30-2011 at 03:35 PM   #61
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

I'm fine using a gaming laptop (msi brand)

Only downside is it's heavy and has a 2 hour battery life, but it still works fine for me. It outperforms everything in every other aspect
Old 04-30-2011 at 03:38 PM   #62
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Mac's do not have more support. You will need to install windows on it for it to be compatiable... defeats the purpose of a mac since hardware is crappy for the price lol.

Id say go to TD or CC and get an ASUS/Lenovo
Old 04-30-2011 at 03:40 PM   #63
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
I'm fine using a gaming laptop (msi brand)

Only downside is it's heavy and has a 2 hour battery life, but it still works fine for me. It outperforms everything in every other aspect
2 hours is very good considering ur specs. these days dont worry about battery life ur gona be plugged in most of the time anyways.

brands not to get: toshiba, dell, hp. Lenovo is kinda wishywashy for me. Brands i trust the most in order are Asus, MSI, samsung. Asus and msi i trust most since they have a nice gaming lineup and overall their pcs are very nice.

Do not get macbooks. they are just a brand name and overpriced

Mepper likes this.
Old 04-30-2011 at 04:21 PM   #64
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCheung View Post
With just a little common sense you will never get viruses, and OSX has viruses, there are just fewer of them since there are more Windows users and so malicious people focus on the majority to infect a greater number of people.
You're assuming most computer users have the same skill set as you, W7 goes out of it's way to protect you from most viruses and I've still seen quite a few people with horribly infected Windows computers (I spent a few summers fixing computers as a side job). OS X is just a better choice when it comes to protecting a user from their own stupidity.

Quote:
And Yes, you will likely piss of a bunch of techy people, from a strictly technical perspective the iPhone4 is getting it's ass handed to it, just look up some of the latest Android phones. In terms of operating system, the user interface is friendly with drag and drop and folder management. And personally it's so convenient to have a calender and notes widget one or two swipes away from the main page with weather, time, battery life and w/e else I want to put on there. Not that there's anything technically wrong with Apples software, I just don't like that they isolate themselves from the rest of the tech world.
Strictly from a technical perspective, a handful of phones have faster processors the iPhone (really the Motorola Atrix is the only one coming to mind), many have more I/O ports, and some even have 4G (but 4G is still basically a useless battery killer at this point), but no other high-end has matched the iPhone 4 on screen resolution and battery-life (Though the Samsung Super AMOLED screens do have insane colour depth). As far as the operating system goes, Android is still a giant mess. If we don't take jailbreaking/rooting into consideration, Android Phones are lucky to see even one OS update months after it's been released, while iPhones are get constant, quick OS updates for years after they're released. On top of that iPhone users don't have to worry about crappy manufacturer skins like MotoBlur. If we do take rooting/jailbreaking into consideration, then the iPhone is almost as customizable as an Android. For someone techy who's really interested in playing around and customizing their phone with the latest hacked ROM, Android is awesome, for everyone else, iOS makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
-Wonderful trackpad - better than what you will find on any PC. And larger too.

-Fantastic screen

-Great battery life

-Amazing keyboard that is great to type on

-Wonderful operating system that uses a ton of trackpad gestures

-Great support if something goes wrong

That enough reasons for you? Stop assuming that people only buy Macs because of good marketing. Its not true.
The only really valid points you have there are the trackpad (which is amazing) and the batterylife (Which is due to apple using internal batteries and OSX being better optimized for the hardware). Everything else you said is available on PC:

Quote:
-Fantastic screen
It's a LED back light LCD screen, most decent PCs have comparable screens

Quote:
-Amazing keyboard that is great to type on
It's called a chicklet keyboard, again, quite a few PCs have them

Quote:
-Wonderful operating system that uses a ton of trackpad gestures
Windows 7 comes with most of the same OSX multitouch capabilities, it's up to the different manufacturers to enable them

Quote:
-Great support if something goes wrong
Basically all extended warranties are as good as Applecare, and some default warranties, like the one that comes with Asus computers, are just as good as the default Apple warranty (but having the Apple store and a bunch of certified Apple repair people around does make repairing Apple computers faster).
Old 04-30-2011 at 04:40 PM   #65
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Commodore 64, small compact, top of the line stuff right there
Old 04-30-2011 at 05:46 PM   #66
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

If you live in Hamilton and you have a desktop, don't waste your money on a laptop.
Old 04-30-2011 at 06:45 PM   #67
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
It's a LED back light LCD screen, most decent PCs have comparable screens
Not all screens are created equally. Just because they may all be LED, doesn't mean they are all the same. I've compared my mac's screen to Dell and HPs. Not as good - not as vibrant.

Quote:
It's called a chicklet keyboard, again, quite a few PCs have them
I know what its called, thanks. And again, the same TYPE of keyboardis *not* the same as saying the same keyboard. The ones on mac have nice spacing of the keys, and Apple doesn't try to squeeze as many buttons as possible onto them. You don't get 'lost' when using the keyboard. And the function keys at the top are useful (Though granted, most keyboards have these). Also, its backlit (Though granted, some keyboards are like this too)

Quote:

Windows 7 comes with most of the same OSX multitouch capabilities, it's up to the different manufacturers to enable them
Too bad most don't.

Quote:
Basically all extended warranties are as good as Applecare, and some default warranties, like the one that comes with Asus computers, are just as good as the default Apple warranty (but having the Apple store and a bunch of certified Apple repair people around does make repairing Apple computers faster).
I wasn't talking about warranties. I was talking about the quality of support. With Apple, you don't feel like you are speaking to someone in India.
Old 04-30-2011 at 07:40 PM   #68
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Computer savvy people: doesn't matter what sort of computer
Engineering I: PC

I'm kind of Mac envious, myself; I've never really spent much time with one.. I'm wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too clumsy to risk buying one, since I treat my current computer very poorly, but it still holds up great.

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 04-30-2011 at 07:42 PM   #69
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Not all screens are created equally. Just because they may all be LED, doesn't mean they are all the same. I've compared my mac's screen to Dell and HPs. Not as good - not as vibrant.

I know what its called, thanks. And again, the same TYPE of keyboardis *not* the same as saying the same keyboard. The ones on mac have nice spacing of the keys, and Apple doesn't try to squeeze as many buttons as possible onto them. You don't get 'lost' when using the keyboard. And the function keys at the top are useful (Though granted, most keyboards have these). Also, its backlit (Though granted, some keyboards are like this too)

Too bad most don't.

I wasn't talking about warranties. I was talking about the quality of support. With Apple, you don't feel like you are speaking to someone in India.
>butthurt

Also, what's wrong with speaking to somebody from India? Are you a racist? Are you saying people from India are less competent?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 04-30-2011 at 08:18 PM   #70
MiniDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
>butthurt
Ok.

Quote:
Also, what's wrong with speaking to somebody from India? Are you a racist? Are you saying people from India are less competent?
Its a communication issue. I'm sure they're nice people, but speaking to someone with -more often than not - broken English, creates problems when trying to describe a specific issue.

Last edited by MiniDragon : 04-30-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2011 at 10:12 PM   #71
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Try comparing your Mac's screen to a decent laptop...

Quote:
I guess you're right, that description couldn't possibly describe the Asus U series keyboard

or the Sony Vaio Z keyboard

Quote:
Too bad most don't.
Any Laptop with a multitouch capable pad can download drivers to enable the gestures, most of the newer Asus and Sony laptops have multitouch pads
Old 04-30-2011 at 10:36 PM   #72
MiniDragon

Quote:
Try comparing your Mac's screen to a decent laptop...

I guess you're right, that description couldn't possibly describe the Asus U series keyboard

or the Sony Vaio Z keyboard

Any Laptop with a multitouch capable pad can download drivers to enable the gestures, most of the newer Asus and Sony laptops have multitouch pads

Actually, I'll admit, the Vaio keyboard looks quite nice actually.

I still suggest a Mac though .
Old 04-30-2011 at 10:50 PM   #73
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Actually, I'll admit, the Vaio keyboard looks quite nice actually.

I still suggest a Mac though .
I'd probably suggest a Mac for the average University student as well, I was just pointing out that many of the Pros people usually point out for Macs are available in many PCs and most people I'e met with Macs seem to have horrible justification for getting them.
Old 04-30-2011 at 11:11 PM   #74
HenryCheung

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
With just a little common sense you will never get viruses, and OSX has viruses, there are just fewer of them since there are more Windows users and so malicious people focus on the majority to infect a greater number of people.

And Yes, you will likely piss of a bunch of techy people, from a strictly technical perspective the iPhone4 is getting it's ass handed to it, just look up some of the latest Android phones. In terms of operating system, the user interface is friendly with drag and drop and folder management. And personally it's so convenient to have a calender and notes widget one or two swipes away from the main page with weather, time, battery life and w/e else I want to put on there. Not that there's anything technically wrong with Apples software, I just don't like that they isolate themselves from the rest of the tech world.

However Apple does have excellent product support, given they only release one phone a year and they release their updates independently of carriers which is something greatly in their favor, I hope other manufacturers start following Apple in this regards or atleast work closer with carriers to make update releases more efficient.
Quote:

Strictly from a technical perspective, a handful of phones have faster processors the iPhone (really the Motorola Atrix is the only one coming to mind), many have more I/O ports, and some even have 4G (but 4G is still basically a useless battery killer at this point), but no other high-end has matched the iPhone 4 on screen resolution and battery-life (Though the Samsung Super AMOLED screens do have insane colour depth). As far as the operating system goes, Android is still a giant mess. If we don't take jailbreaking/rooting into consideration, Android Phones are lucky to see even one OS update months after it's been released, while iPhones are get constant, quick OS updates for years after they're released. On top of that iPhone users don't have to worry about crappy manufacturer skins like MotoBlur. If we do take rooting/jailbreaking into consideration, then the iPhone is almost as customizable as an Android. For someone techy who's really interested in playing around and customizing their phone with the latest hacked ROM, Android is awesome, for everyone else, iOS makes a hell of a lot more sense.

I think you missed my last paragraph where I wished other manufacturers and carriers would follow in Apples software distribution and support methods. From what my friends tell me about their iPhone4 it's battery life is no worse or better than my HTC Desire and the screen resolution is much higher than alot of other smartphones... but it's really hard to tell the difference considering the size of the screen, this is quite apparent in TV's, where everyone thinks 1080p is far superior to 720p, when you wouldn't even know the difference on a 50" or smaller TV unless you stood 10cm from the screen in order to notice the slightly larger pixels on the 720p screen.

Last edited by HenryCheung : 04-30-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2011 at 12:50 AM   #75
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

This whole debate about computers is pointless. It's like you are all working for Microsoft or Apple.

Seriously, people defend these products to make themselves feel better. A mac user will defend macs because he or she owns one. This person doesn't want to believe he or she wasted money.

HenryCheung, macsci like this.