MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Buying a laptop from Titles? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-13-2010 12:04 PM
buying a laptop cjdzl Computers & Tech 5 07-22-2010 12:58 PM
Tips for Buying a Laptop (Extended Edition): Part Two crucif3x Technology 9 08-31-2009 11:01 PM
Tips For Buying a New Laptop: Extended Edition (Part One) crucif3x Technology 27 07-31-2009 11:55 AM

Laptop Buying Tips

Old 08-26-2009 at 03:38 PM   #210
EasternHeat
Elite Member
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 60 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
Well it says Intel graphics media accelerator and as far as I know, Intel does not make dedicated graphics cards like say Nvidea or AMD do.
Oh and with those you can't input a card that you bought from Nvidea?

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:38 PM   #211
u.yousaf
Program: Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Second
Residence: Bates '08/'09, SOCS '09/'10

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Also, I'm kind of confused... this is more out of interest though:

If the laptop doesn't have discrete video memory OR integrated video memory, then what does it have?
It then has a 3rd party video card.

jhan523 says thanks to u.yousaf for this post.
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:40 PM   #212
u.yousaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
Oh and with those you can't input a card that you bought from Nvidea?
I'm not to sure but my guess is probably not since you need sufficient room which the laptop wouldn't have. Laptops differ in this way from PC's in which you can replace any component you want. However I do know that you can replace an existing 3rd party graphics card on a laptop but its a complicated process.

Last edited by u.yousaf : 08-26-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:45 PM   #213
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
I'm not to sure but my guess is probably not since you need sufficient room which the laptop wouldn't have. Laptops differ in this way from PC's in which you can replace any component you want. However I do know that you can replace an existing 3rd party graphics card on a laptop but its a complicated process.
Hmmm so if a laptop has sufficient processing (dual core 2.0 Ghz+) and ram (4 Gb)...then a good graphics card would still be needed to run programs smoothly? Or ones like photoshop and such?

Old 08-26-2009 at 03:45 PM   #214
syaseen
Elite Member
Program: Electrical & Biomedical Engineering
Year: Third
Residence: Bates 08-09, SOCS 09-11

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Also, I'm kind of confused... this is more out of interest though:

If the laptop doesn't have discrete video memory OR integrated video memory, then what does it have?
it has either discrete/ dedicated GPU (more expensive, high end = better gaming and graphics editing) OR integrated graphics process (cheap and low end).
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:46 PM   #215
u.yousaf

Quote:
Hmmm so if a laptop has sufficient processing (dual core 2.0 Ghz+) and ram (4 Gb)...then a good graphics card would still be needed to run programs smoothly? Or ones like photoshop and such?
Yes graphics intensive programs would need a good graphics card to run smoothly alongside sufficient ram and processing power.

Old 08-26-2009 at 03:48 PM   #216
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
You would need a dedicated gpu/ graphics card for running games, video/graphic editing and programs like photoshop (anything thats graphic intensive). Everything else like MS Office work fine with integrated.
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:55 PM   #217
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
You would need a dedicated gpu/ graphics card for running games, video/graphic editing and programs like photoshop (anything thats graphic intensive). Everything else like MS Office work fine with integrated.
So even a low end 128 Mb dedicated graphics card is better than the ones they have on there?

Old 08-26-2009 at 03:56 PM   #218
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
it has either discrete/ dedicated GPU (more expensive, high end = better gaming and graphics editing) OR integrated graphics process (cheap and low end).
That's not true... not according to the future shop specs for that HP laptop.
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:57 PM   #219
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
So even a low end 128 Mb dedicated graphics card is better than the ones they have on there?
Not necessarily... you need to look at it on a case-by-case basis. Generally speaking however, a dedicated card is supoerior.
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:57 PM   #220
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
That's not true... not according to the future shop specs for that HP laptop.
It is true futureshop is lying to you. It has to either of the 2 options I listed or like the new macbook pros both of them.

edit: I just saw the futureshop ad again and it does have integrated graphics the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD is an integrated gpu. I think they made a mistake when they said "Integrated Video Memory No". It should be Yes.

Last edited by syaseen : 08-26-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2009 at 11:54 PM   #221
slobnoname
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
I'm going into engineering, and while I seriously considered buying a mac, I decided against it due to the various software incompatibilities....

Anyways, I ended up buying this one.. http://www1.ca.dell.com/ca/en/home/L...=cadhs1&~ck=mn

I got it in the third configuration, with the P8600 processor (2.4 GHz), the 4GB of ram, and the 320gb hardrive.

What do you think? I know alot of people seem to be anti-dell, but how about the specs, etc? Thanks
Old 09-01-2009 at 11:59 PM   #222
LBJ.MVP
Faculty: Science
Year: First
Residence: Hedden

Liked: 16 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobnoname View Post
I'm going into engineering, and while I seriously considered buying a mac, I decided against it due to the various software incompatibilities....

Anyways, I ended up buying this one.. http://www1.ca.dell.com/ca/en/home/Laptops/laptop-studio-1555/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-1555&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&~ck=mn

I got it in the third configuration, with the P8600 processor (2.4 GHz), the 4GB of ram, and the 320gb hardrive.

What do you think? I know alot of people seem to be anti-dell, but how about the specs, etc? Thanks
ya i got a dell inspiron 14 inch. its pretty good. i hope u used coupons on ur online orders, since i saved about $300 on my inspiron 14 by putting in an online code. But yeah dell is good, great after sales service, they dont have the uber best laptops but their stuff will work.
Old 09-02-2009 at 02:17 PM   #223
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:

Anyways, I ended up buying this one.. http://www1.ca.dell.com/ca/en/home/Laptops/laptop-studio-1555/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-1555&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&~ck=mn

1st: Dell is great

2nd: the specs are fine, but if you're into gaming, you'd probably have wanted at least a 512 meg video card.
Old 09-02-2009 at 02:48 PM   #224
u.yousaf

Quote:

I agree, pretty good deal but you're out of luck if you're an avid gamer.

Article Tools