MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Memory -FX Infinity General Discussion 10 12-06-2009 11:54 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Laptop memory clusterbumble

Old 12-14-2009 at 09:43 PM   #1
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Laptop memory clusterbumble
So My laptop has become increasingly slow and frustrating in the last few months, If I run MS Word+ Firefox at the same time it slows down to a crawl and the system usage goes all the way upto late nineties.

My battery was showing a red alert and "You need to replace it" I've ordered a battery, but until it arrives in the new year I'm not sure whether a slow/depreciating battery was the issue.

The other could be I have only 1gb of ram.

I'm trying to get new ram, here's the info on my Dell System layout page

YD610 Module, Dual In-line Memory Module, 1GB, 667MHZ, 2X512, 512
1 Y9525 Dual In-line Memory Module 512MB, 667, 64X64, 8K, 200

So I'm trying to get a 2gb one. After browsing crucial.com I ended up at this page: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...7ECC70A5CA7304

I might be able to get cheaper stuff from newegg but I'm not sure if its the same thing: Is it? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-624-_-Product

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-229-_-Product

My warranty is long over so no issues with fiddling with the hardware

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-14-2009 at 10:22 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Just go to the Canada Computers nearby. Their prices are almost identical to what you have there, and you won't have to pay shipping costs.

This should work:

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...id=RAM.187.566

Also, for the love of god, don't try and get it from the place in titles. They rip you off horrendously on computer equipment (and make you wait forever for it to get shipped in).

huzaifa47, malycknm all say thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

malycknm, Taunton like this.
Old 12-14-2009 at 10:35 PM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
So My laptop has become increasingly slow and frustrating in the last few months, If I run MS Word+ Firefox at the same time it slows down to a crawl and the system usage goes all the way upto late nineties.

My battery was showing a red alert and "You need to replace it" I've ordered a battery, but until it arrives in the new year I'm not sure whether a slow/depreciating battery was the issue.

The other could be I have only 1gb of ram.

I'm trying to get new ram, here's the info on my Dell System layout page

YD610 Module, Dual In-line Memory Module, 1GB, 667MHZ, 2X512, 512
1 Y9525 Dual In-line Memory Module 512MB, 667, 64X64, 8K, 200

So I'm trying to get a 2gb one. After browsing crucial.com I ended up at this page: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...7ECC70A5CA7304

I might be able to get cheaper stuff from newegg but I'm not sure if its the same thing: Is it? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-624-_-Product

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-229-_-Product

My warranty is long over so no issues with fiddling with the hardware
The problem is most likely you picked up some discrete malware and it's likely wasting your system resources... even just everyday use for a long time without reformatting or defragging will eventually slow down your computer, sometimes to an almost unusable rate.

So, to me it sounds like you need to reformat... really simple with Dells... just do a system restore by pressing shift+F5 when the Dell logo comes up on startup.

If you have an external HD, just dump everything you want to save and reformat... once that's done, your computer should run much better. If you pair this with upgrading hardware, you'll get your money's worth since I doubt just upgrading alone will solve all of your problems.

huzaifa47 says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 12-15-2009 at 08:46 AM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Yeah it doesn't sound like a RAM issue. I only have 1GB of RAM on my laptop and I can use a word processor and firefox and just generally multi task and it doesn't lag like you're describing. (I even have a really oldskool comp with 512MB of RAM that is still functional, although multitasking is a bigger chore with that one) Its certainly not as fast as my other comp with 4GB but the probably your're describing is probably something else. I mean if you want more RAM go for it but definitely look for other possible issues for the lag.

huzaifa47 says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 12-15-2009 at 09:17 AM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Might be the processor speed isnt sufficient enough

huzaifa47 says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 12-15-2009 at 09:32 AM   #6
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Might be the processor speed isnt sufficient enough
Its a Intel dual core @ 1.86 Ghz

Old 12-15-2009 at 11:43 AM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Just a correction - a Dell system restore is done by pressing CTRL + F11 when the Dell logo comes up at startup.

Good luck!

huzaifa47 says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 12-15-2009 at 11:44 AM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
That's more than enough... I don't think it's a hardware issue.
Old 12-15-2009 at 01:38 PM   #9
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

also install windows 7. it makes your system faster!!!

huzaifa47 says thanks to Infinity for this post.
Old 12-15-2009 at 03:43 PM   #10
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

You most likely benefit from a memory boost. As well as a complete reformat of the system.

huzaifa47 says thanks to Stan for this post.
Old 12-15-2009 at 07:34 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
I don't think that's the issue.. I've got 1.5 and mine runs fine.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-15-2009 at 09:27 PM   #12
slx4

Liked: 4 Times

if you don't want to reformat, here's some quick tips

use advanced systemcare free, avira/avg antivirus (for avira you can google how to get rid of the popup everytime it updates), malwarebytes.

The one that will take the most precautions is minimizing the programs running in the background. click start -> run -> msconfig and select the tab named startup. It will show you all the programs that load when you start your computer. You can google each specific program exe and see whether its required/optional depending on your needs/a virus/removable. If you've never done this before, it can significantly improve your speed. 2gb's of ram will definitely help especially if you're on vista/7
Old 12-15-2009 at 10:01 PM   #13
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by slx4 View Post
if you don't want to reformat, here's some quick tips

use advanced systemcare free, avira/avg antivirus (for avira you can google how to get rid of the popup everytime it updates), malwarebytes.

The one that will take the most precautions is minimizing the programs running in the background. click start -> run -> msconfig and select the tab named startup. It will show you all the programs that load when you start your computer. You can google each specific program exe and see whether its required/optional depending on your needs/a virus/removable. If you've never done this before, it can significantly improve your speed. 2gb's of ram will definitely help especially if you're on vista/7
I already have updated malwarebytes, AVG(free) & Lavasoft Adware running. I also use CCleaner regularly. I've turned most of the extra programs off as well, however the usage still hoovers around at 52% even without a single program running and obviously goes to 90+ the moment I start Firefox/Word.

Oh well I guess I'll do a reformat/upgrade memory when my exams end. Thanks everyone!

p.s: I hate how the vista disk defrag has doesn't have the features found in Xp/98. Like it doesn't scan and show you if there are any badsectors/fragmented data. It just kind has one option "Defragment now" and that's about it

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 12-15-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2009 at 10:28 PM   #14
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

You can try to use diskeeper to defrag, it works a lot better, but it isn't a free software.
Old 12-15-2009 at 11:15 PM   #15
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Some things with laptops:

-They all run slower when they arent plugged into the wall (energy saving features). So always keep it plugged in.

-Save your info onto a flashdrive or DVD, the wipe your computer clean, like completely wipe the operating system and everything. Reload the operating system and put the info you need back on.

-Clean the crap out of where ever you laptop sucks in/expels air

-Cold Laptop= Fast Laptop. Be creative.

-There are places to find ways to alter the windows operating system so it doesnt do 90% of the stuff that is useless and slows it down. (I used to use annoyances.org, but no doubt there are others)

huzaifa47 says thanks to Rossclot for this post.