MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Memory -FX Infinity General Discussion 10 12-06-2009 11:54 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Laptop memory clusterbumble

Old 12-15-2009 at 11:23 PM   #16
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
-Clean the crap out of where ever you laptop sucks in/expels air

-Cold Laptop= Fast Laptop. Be creative.
This could be true; My Laptop usually is heated up after 2-3 hours of usage. But I don't listen/feel any major in/out movement of air and the area where put my palms in while typing is actually hot/warm atm.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-16-2009 at 11:41 AM   #17
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Don't always keep it plug in unless you don't care about your battery life, or you are charging your battery. It kills the battery faster.
Old 12-16-2009 at 12:09 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Don't always keep it plug in unless you don't care about your battery life, or you are charging your battery. It kills the battery faster.
I think he meant take the battery out while keeping it plugged in.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-16-2009 at 12:27 PM   #19
Sport fan

Liked: 2 Times

also try going to start menu, run and run msconfig
go to the tab with startup
hit disable all
and restart your computer.
This will eliminate all programs running at startup
Old 12-16-2009 at 12:51 PM   #20
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Modern laptops are designed with this in mind. Once the battery is charged, the circuit switches and the laptop directs power away from the battery. You don't need to worry about this at all.
Old 12-16-2009 at 01:34 PM   #21
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

It may be designed with this in mind, but battery still get heated up regardless, and will result in lower battery life....try it and see. My battery is still working for 2-3 years, but i have one which is a modern laptop which has less than half hour left, doing the exact same thing recommended above by rossclot.
Old 12-16-2009 at 03:13 PM   #22
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
It may be designed with this in mind, but battery still get heated up regardless, and will result in lower battery life....try it and see. My battery is still working for 2-3 years, but i have one which is a modern laptop which has less than half hour left, doing the exact same thing recommended above by rossclot.
The laptop gets warm when it's running, this is unavoidable... but if you're saying the battery warms up when the laptop is off but plugged in, then that's incorrect.

I've been keeping my battery in my laptop and running it plugged in for weeks at a time (for almost 4 years now) and it still lasts for more than three hours when I need it.

You must have a bad battery, bad laptop, or both.

Last edited by Taunton : 12-16-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2009 at 04:38 PM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Modern laptops are designed with this in mind. Once the battery is charged, the circuit switches and the laptop directs power away from the battery. You don't need to worry about this at all.
Are you sure?
Because I've noticed a considerable decline in my battery life and the technicians told me it's because I keep it plugged in all the time while the battery's in the laptop...

Old 12-16-2009 at 06:02 PM   #24
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Are you sure?
Because I've noticed a considerable decline in my battery life and the technicians told me it's because I keep it plugged in all the time while the battery's in the laptop...
Yes, I'm sure. Any laptop purchased within the last 6 or so years has the ability to stop feeding power to the battery once it is charged. I suppose I could be wrong, but I don't think Dell has exclusive rights to this relatively simple technology (I know my laptop has it because it says so in the user manual).

Your battery life can go down for a number of reasons. For example, if you keep your battery charged in your plugged-in laptop all the time, but never use the battery, it's life will degrade. You're supposed to "exercise" your battery, discharging it and recharging it once every two weeks.

Other things like not defragging your hard drive make your hardware less efficient, making your battery work harder and discharge more quickly. Computers with more RAM will have better battery life because they are more efficient.

Tips for maintaining battery life:

- exercise your battery
- keep your hard drive defragged
- keep your laptop cool (overheating will kill the battery)
- never let your battery completely run out
- use "hibernate" and not "standby". Hibernate actually shuts down the computer, wheras standby uses energy

Also, don't forget that batteries will decline in usability naturally. Sometimes they just age and don't work as well as they used to. My batteries (both my main battery and my backup) used to last for over 6 hours four years ago. Today they last for about 3 hours or so.

Last edited by Taunton : 12-16-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2009 at 06:10 PM   #25
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Holy shit, what kind of batteries do you friggin have.

Even when I got my laptop new, I don't think the battery lasted more than 3-4 hours.

Now I'm lucky if it goes for an hour and a half.

Old 12-16-2009 at 06:18 PM   #26
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Holy shit, what kind of batteries do you friggin have.
Model # Dell8506... they're 9-cell I believe... not 100% sure though, and I don't have time to look it up
Old 12-16-2009 at 06:57 PM   #27
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Take the base off your laptop and see if your fans are working properly. When I had a POS windows laptop, a small plastic piece got stuck in my main fan preventing it from spinning and blowing air out. It nearly killed my entire system.

huzaifa47 says thanks to deadpool for this post.