MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM
Are we not required to go to class for participation marks? Hallandale General Discussion 11 11-02-2009 12:00 AM
required course already taken robvvrob Academics 3 06-28-2009 10:20 PM

Laptop Required in class?

Old 07-11-2009 at 02:43 PM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah.. I've never found my laptop distracting. I'm always too busy taking down what the prof is saying, and if not, my laptop sleeps from inactivity. It's really your self-control, so if you think you can handle it, go for it.
Old 07-11-2009 at 02:47 PM   #17
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
what if one is slow at typing too?
I am a very slow typer so I hardly ever took my laptop to class last year. I took all of my notes by hand and did pretty well. It is not mandatory to take notes with your laptop. Its always better to do what feels comfortable. Unless you are very good with typing and using computers, it would probably be better just to take notes by hand (or practise using a laptop during the summer).

At the same time, I would recommend buying a laptop over a PC. When you get to school, you might not like studying in your dorm room. Its always good to have the option of moving around.
Old 07-11-2009 at 02:49 PM   #18
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

but i think for engineering students a laptop would be required to use the software solidedge in the class, right? or maybe someother software? could anyone clear this up for me?
Old 07-11-2009 at 02:50 PM   #19
kanishka
winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I am a very slow typer so I hardly ever took my laptop to class last year. I took all of my notes by hand and did pretty well. It is not mandatory to take notes with your laptop. Its always better to do what feels comfortable. Unless you are very good with typing and using computers, it would probably be better just to take notes by hand (or practise using a laptop during the summer).

At the same time, I would recommend buying a laptop over a PC. When you get to school, you might not like studying in your dorm room. Its always good to have the option of moving around.
when u don't use ur laptop to take down notes then why would u need ur laptop to study otherwise?
Old 07-11-2009 at 02:52 PM   #20
kanishka
winning

i mean if u don't study in ur room then u wud carry around ur notebooks right?why laptop?
Old 07-11-2009 at 02:53 PM   #21
stevennn
Pro Lurker.

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
but i think for engineering students a laptop would be required to use the software solidedge in the class, right? or maybe someother software? could anyone clear this up for me?
For Eng 1C03, you'll be using the computers in the labs, you only need it on your own computer for practice and for the final project.
Old 07-11-2009 at 02:54 PM   #22
kanishka
winning

so for the final project do we have to carry our laptop to class or not even then?
Old 07-11-2009 at 02:56 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
when u don't use ur laptop to take down notes then why would u need ur laptop to study otherwise?
Quote:
i mean if u don't study in ur room then u wud carry around ur notebooks right?why laptop?
You'll have notes from your teachers online, recommended problems online, as well as a bunch of other material that is provided for you by the teacher. You may also need to do some research in order to fully understand the material. Some people need supplementary work to help them do their best.

You might also want to discuss things with your peers. Remember, you don't have to do everything on your own. You can get help from other people whether it's your professor during their office hours, help centres or your friends online.

kanishka says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-11-2009 at 02:57 PM   #24
stevennn
Pro Lurker.

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
so for the final project do we have to carry our laptop to class or not even then?
In the labs, you'll only be using their computers. The final project is done on your own time, so in this case it doesn't really matter whether you have a desktop or a laptop. I'd still go for the laptop for the convenience.

kanishka says thanks to stevennn for this post.
Old 07-11-2009 at 03:07 PM   #25
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Sometimes you will need to refer to your online lecture notes. If you dont understand a small detail in your lecture notes, google can also be a very useful ressource. Although a textbook can also be used, it is much faster to simply type something into google.

Some professors also post previous test papers online. Instead of printing out five test papers (that are 30 pages each), I would just carry my laptop around with me. So instead of printing out the test papers, I would just open my laptop and do a test. Saved me a lot of ink and paper.

kanishka says thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 07-11-2009 at 05:15 PM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Ok so in general, I find it so much better to take notes by pen and paper, even though I'm not slow typer. it just seems easier that way, and you can always add in points in the margins or anywhere. If you really don't like handwritten notes, you can always re-type them just to have a neat collection all together- but that's just a suggestion of course. and for diagrams for example.. it would take FOREVER to do it on a laptop during the lecture, and to draw it in your notes and add it to the rest later.. would just make your notes all over the place.
As for the advantages of a laptop, like others mentionned, it's better than a desktop computer simply because it's portable. You can take it to the library and work on any assigment or project by yourself or with a group whenever you want, but then again, one of your group members might have a laptop, and the libraries of course have computers.
Another point to consider however, is what if rez gets too loud for example, or you just want a change of setting, it's SO convenient to just pack your laptop and head to the library or a study room, as opposed to a desktop computer.
Personal preference- I would go with a laptop, but that's just my opinion

kanishka says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-11-2009 at 05:22 PM   #27
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

I am a fast-key person but from previous experience I recommend NOT having a laptop. There are recent studies that suggest that using a laptop to write notes can undermined critical thinking during lecture. There are profs that discourages laptop-use *cough*Biology profs*coughs*. And there are others that encourage it like multimedia. This really depends on the type of person and the course you're taking notes from.

kanishka says thanks to mumbojumbo for this post.
Old 07-11-2009 at 05:23 PM   #28
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbojumbo View Post
I am a fast-key person but from previous experience I recommend NOT having a laptop. There are recent studies that suggest that using a laptop to write notes can undermined critical thinking during lecture. There are profs that discourages laptop-use *cough*Biology profs*coughs*. And there are others that encourage it like multimedia. This really depends on the type of person and the course you're taking notes from.
Do you mean not having it.. as in NOT owning one.. or just not bringing it to lectures for taking notes?
Old 07-11-2009 at 05:25 PM   #29
kanishka
winning

i guess he means to not bring at lectures..
Old 07-11-2009 at 05:26 PM   #30
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ooh I found an article about it too!
-> http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1714 1
Hope it helps!

kanishka says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.