MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Laptops and Mac Connect suhaybh General Discussion 7 09-16-2010 10:15 AM
Laptops good in class? Chad Technology 6 11-10-2008 12:19 AM
laptops and cell phones?? shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 09-08-2008 07:13 PM
Battle of the Laptops Chad Technology 2 08-17-2007 11:17 PM
You can now 'rent' laptops from the libraries at Mac Chad Computers & Tech 10 10-12-2006 02:10 AM

Laptops...

Old 08-15-2007 at 10:08 AM   #166
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

Is there a difference between the following processor types or are they all the same?

Dual Core
Intel core duo
Intel centrino duo
intel core 2 duo

I have heard these names a lot and dunno nthn about them.
If they are all different...then which one is the best one? Any reccomendations?
Old 08-15-2007 at 10:41 AM   #167
ankitR

Liked: 0 Times

What you're really looking at is two processors; Intel Core Duo and Intel Core 2 Duo. Dual core is the name of technology which is utilized by both these processors.

Intel Centrino Duo is not really a processor in itself. Centrino is not a type of processor; it is a type of mobile/wireless internet technology employed by many laptops. Personally I don't like the notation because it's confusing. So when a laptop says Intel Centrino Duo, the system either has a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo processor in it, with Centrino Mobile technology. Just remember that there are mainly two Intel processors you're looking at when it comes to 64-bit laptops; Core Duo and Core 2 Duo.

What I have found after using both processors is that the average clock for Core 2 Duo processor is a little bit faster than the Core Duo clock, and Core 2 Duo can render graphics a little more easily than Core Duo processors (at the same clock). Considering price, however, I think a Core Duo does the job just fine. If money is not an issue, however, go with the Core 2 Duo, which is starting to replace the Core Duo in laptops now.
Old 08-15-2007 at 11:01 AM   #168
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

ooh oki thanks for the detailed response ankit
So both of those are dual core processors right?
Old 08-15-2007 at 11:59 PM   #169
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

wow, seems nobody ever mentions ibm or lenovo nowadays. Anyways, xp will be phased out next year (aka supports and such are going to go bye bye). This is probably because of the lack of ppl adapting the vista os. I perosnally think microsoft actually did a good job this time with vista, considering less patches and crashes than xp. For those with tight budgets, lenovo and hp offers fairly decent prices.

Intel® Core 2 Duo T7100 - 1800MHz
Genuine Windows Vista Business
15.4 WXGA VibrantView TFT 1280x800
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
1024PC2-5300 SDRAM DDR2 667MHz
160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) 24X Max
Battery[60]6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Wireless cards[10]Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
One year parts and labor (system battery: one year)
Has a fingerprint reader.

All of that for 1199.00 CAD on the lenovo website. Probably can get it cheaper by other companies that sell the same product.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/ca/notebook/30...ies/index.html
Old 08-17-2007 at 01:38 PM   #170
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I don't usually see IBM laptops in commercial stores like future shop.... like Thinkpads, etc. Do you have to buy them direct from IBM?
Old 11-02-2007 at 01:16 PM   #171
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

I got a new laptop this week! It's a MacBook.
Old 01-09-2008 at 12:02 AM   #172
panic_attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Assuming you aren't going with an Apple laptop, look for two things and you'll be golden:

1) 2GB of ram/memory (though 1GB will suffice .. which is 1024MB)
2) Dual core processor
3) Don't go with any laptop using Celeron (they are slow)

Other than that, the rest is icing on the cake.

I would recommend FutureShop (click to see listings) simply because I've had 2 laptop purchasing experiences with them (one for my sister, and for myself) and haven't had any problems. Usually FutureShop carries the higher end, thin and light, more expensive laptops. If you're looking for an 'ultimate' laptop... thin, light, big screen, long battery... then look there. But if you're looking for a cheaper laptop then theres other places to find one. The nice thing about Futureshop is they have a Back To School sale with great deals and usually throw in extra things like 'Buy a laptop and get a free printer'. In which case you can get the sales rep to sometimes exchange the free printer for something better like a leather bag or USB key. My friends have Dell laptops which are also very good quality. MDG is another decent pick.

Battery life can be an important factor to also take note of. Battery life usually lasts between 2-4 hours on average, so you'll want a laptop with less of the battery-hungry 'media center' options. You can browse FutureShop for battery life specs as well.

Other recommended laptop distributors:
- Dell.ca (have a good choice starting at $799)
- MDG.ca (entry level that is decent starts at $899)

If you're looking to buy an Apple laptop, visit the TITLES bookstore at Mac, they have an Apple computer area that is a certified seller and can show you the differences/advantages, as well as give you the Apple student discount.

---

What type of computer were you looking at getting? Just one to surf the net, type in Word, and use msn? ... oh and visit MacInsiders of course lol
average users dont need dual core procs, if you dont know much about computers, my advice is not to look at the processor at all.

Celerons were actually designed for everyday users. all you need to know is all new computers are sufficient for everyday tasks.

weight and battery life is probably the most important for students.

i also look for build quality, and bluetooth (wireless mouse is very handy).
Old 01-13-2008
phlipside101
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-22-2008 at 10:36 PM   #173
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

Sony Vaio Laptops are nice!
Old 06-22-2008 at 10:49 PM   #174
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

I just want to give some infos about laptop.
-recent celerons are all dualcore, the difference between celeron(1mb.) and core2 duo(3~6mb) is cache memory... basically, more cache memory means smoother..
-When you buy your laptop, one important to thing to see is a monitor. because you can't change your laptop's monitor...so it is very important...(better monitor is better for your eyes...as you know lol)
-For the memory..... Actually 32bit windows can use 3.25GB of memory...
and if you use 64bit...then you can use ram upto 16GB..(but most of laptops support max 4GB of ram)
-look at fan's location.... if fan is located on the right side...then it is not good... because if you are using a mouse, you can feel the warm air from the fan which is not too good..lol(from my experience)

if you have any Qs, feel free to ask me..lol
Old 06-23-2008 at 08:55 AM   #175
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Sony Vaio's have this XBRITE technology for their screens which make them very very bright and crisp. Its amazing, and I haven't seen any laptop match the quality of screen as my Sony.
Old 08-02-2008 at 06:04 PM   #176
unaiza

laptop requirement
Hey,
Is it a requirement for the Life Sciences students to get laptops?
What if they don't get it? *-)
Old 08-02-2008 at 07:03 PM   #177
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

It's never a requirement for you to have a laptop, it can make life easier for you but there are computer labs for you to use all over campus if you don't have your own computer.

Old 08-02-2008 at 07:08 PM   #178
Avneet

Just got a Sony VAIO CR white laptop. It's sick!!!
Old 08-03-2008 at 11:46 PM   #179
hello395

I've been looking at laptops recently, and I noticed that a lot of the laptops nowadays come in different colours, such as black, white, blue, pink, yellow, brown, etc (as well as in various designs), and I have to admit, some of the colours (especially the red laptop) look pretty cool. I was wondering if many people at mac have or are planning to buy laptops of various colours? I mean, would it be awkward to walk into the library with such a laptop (i.e. do such laptops look out of the ordinary) or are they pretty common? Also, which laptop colour, if any, is most common among students at mac, and which is the least common?

Last edited by hello395 : 08-03-2008 at 11:48 PM.