MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Laptops and Mac Connect suhaybh General Discussion 7 09-16-2010 10:15 AM
Laptops good in class? Chad Technology 6 11-10-2008 12:19 AM
laptops and cell phones?? shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 09-08-2008 07:13 PM
Battle of the Laptops Chad Technology 2 08-17-2007 11:17 PM
You can now 'rent' laptops from the libraries at Mac Chad Computers & Tech 10 10-12-2006 02:10 AM

Laptops...

Old 08-01-2007 at 06:51 PM   #76
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuberi View Post
hehe no problem..
cant wait to arrive in canada
my flights gonna be 16 hours long :S
(oh and im from dubai incase your wondering :p)

Oh my goodness.. Dubai!? That place rules! I know a few friends from Dubai who went to Mac and I've worked with some clients from Dubai. Amazing looking city, loads of cool stuff over there
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:00 PM   #77
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

One of my housemates actually grew up there...and from what I understand there is a LOT of students who come from Dubai to study at Mac.
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:29 PM   #78
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

thanks zuberi...i think i'm leaning towards the HP now and i think they're cheaper too.
Btw..i used to live in dubaii too 7 yeaars ago lol
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:41 PM   #79
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

pre-meeting my housie, i'd actually never heard of dubai.

now i hear about it ALL the time. weird, huh?
Old 08-01-2007 at 11:02 PM   #80
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Dubai has so many cool projects. Very rich and successful businessmen live there who have money to spend on amazing things like buildings that push every limit imaginable

Old 08-01-2007 at 11:53 PM   #81
nuttynatz

yea back in the day no1 knew bout it...now every1 does..thas coz its becoming very "touristy"
Old 08-02-2007 at 05:50 AM   #82
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I was watching an amazing engineering program on discovery about the building in the second picture there.

crazy stuff.
Old 08-02-2007 at 08:07 AM   #83
Salina

Liked: 0 Times

how long is the average battery life for an HP laptop?
Old 08-02-2007 at 09:30 AM   #84
nuttynatz

Its the tallest hotel in the world...i think its also the highest ranked/starred...i think its a 7-star hotel...it was in the Guiness Book of World Records
Google pics of it...they have amazing bathrooms lol
Old 08-02-2007 at 10:28 AM   #85
Scott Hamel

hey there,
you may have already settled on a laptop, but i thought id throw in my 2 cents

i just got a macbook about a month ago, didnt go with the free ipod deal as i already have a 4GB nano (which works beautifully btw! no problems at all), as well as an older 3G 10GB ipod, and a shuffle (the whole family )

so i decided to go the refurb route. I ended up getting the mid range model for the same price as the low end macbook model. So i got the 1gig of ram, core2duo, 2GHz processor etc. As far as i can tell, the only diff between getting a refurb or a new one is that the refurbs dont come int he pretty macbook box

so far so good! i have had no problems with it, works amazing, and im never going back to windows! Ive got Office for Mac, so all my needs are met there (im in engineering btw, so i need my excel!)

Im also running parallels, just in case, for any windows only needs that may come up. But so far, every must have program i used in windows is covered with mac compatible programs.

My conclusion, if u can spend the cash, the macbook is a great computer and you should really enjoy using it. Sure, there are better windows based computers out there for the same price, but if u want apple, its worth the extra cash

anyways, hope that helps a little!
Old 08-02-2007 at 11:39 AM   #86
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

i'm jealous of you and your ipod luck, Scott.
Old 08-02-2007 at 12:56 PM   #87
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

i just got my mac book pro...so if anyone has any questions about them, i'd be glad to try to answer them. it runs very fast, and can do a lot of jobs at once. i haven't tried any of the creative suite programs yet (photoshop, etc), but i expect they'll work well. the battery life is pretty good. last night i was on it for about 2 and a half hours unplugged, uploading cds, using itunes, using wireless internet AND bluetooth and it was still about one third full. it gets a LITTLE bit hot, but you have to expect that sort of thing. the display in beautiful.

and the front row program will provide hours of entertainment in residence next year at mac!
Old 08-02-2007 at 01:30 PM   #88
zuberi

This is turning out to be a dubai tourism thread after all ahah
we're also currently building the tallest sky scraper in the world
theres soo much more, but ill leave it for the residence meetings

cheers,
zuberi
Old 08-02-2007 at 08:54 PM   #89
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

or you could start your own thread about it?
Old 08-03-2007 at 08:37 AM   #90
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hamel View Post
hey there,
you may have already settled on a laptop, but i thought id throw in my 2 cents

i just got a macbook about a month ago, didnt go with the free ipod deal as i already have a 4GB nano (which works beautifully btw! no problems at all), as well as an older 3G 10GB ipod, and a shuffle (the whole family )

so i decided to go the refurb route. I ended up getting the mid range model for the same price as the low end macbook model. So i got the 1gig of ram, core2duo, 2GHz processor etc. As far as i can tell, the only diff between getting a refurb or a new one is that the refurbs dont come int he pretty macbook box

so far so good! i have had no problems with it, works amazing, and im never going back to windows! Ive got Office for Mac, so all my needs are met there (im in engineering btw, so i need my excel!)

Im also running parallels, just in case, for any windows only needs that may come up. But so far, every must have program i used in windows is covered with mac compatible programs.

My conclusion, if u can spend the cash, the macbook is a great computer and you should really enjoy using it. Sure, there are better windows based computers out there for the same price, but if u want apple, its worth the extra cash

anyways, hope that helps a little!
Hey Scott.. great post. Where did you get your MacBook refurb? I haven't seen any stores selling refurbs before

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallant View Post
i just got my mac book pro...so if anyone has any questions about them, i'd be glad to try to answer them. it runs very fast, and can do a lot of jobs at once. i haven't tried any of the creative suite programs yet (photoshop, etc), but i expect they'll work well. the battery life is pretty good. last night i was on it for about 2 and a half hours unplugged, uploading cds, using itunes, using wireless internet AND bluetooth and it was still about one third full. it gets a LITTLE bit hot, but you have to expect that sort of thing. the display in beautiful.

and the front row program will provide hours of entertainment in residence next year at mac!
I am sooo jealous. I want a MacBook Pro and use it for Final Cut Pro (since I'm a Multimedia student at Mac). We use Mac's all the time in class, and having a macbook pro would be great. Very expensive, so I'll have to start saving my pennies. If there are refurb macbook pro's out there it might be an option