MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-31-2010 at 12:22 PM   #241
kamalprasher

Liked: 11 Times

The Leafs also acquired veteran goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere from the Anaheim Ducks for Jason Blake and Vesa Toskala.
Old 01-31-2010 at 02:14 PM   #242
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

I can't believe we actually managed to trade away Blake and Toskala in the SAME DEAL!
Old 01-31-2010 at 06:10 PM   #243
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

wow...i'm shocked...
what do you guys think?
i'm going to miss white and hagman..

Last edited by syan9184 : 01-31-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2010 at 06:12 PM   #244
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
I can't believe we actually managed to trade away Blake and Toskala in the SAME DEAL!
Exactly! That`s the best part, and giguere can actually play some solid games and help menotr gustavsson.

As for the phaneuf deal, Flames got the best player (white) atm, but that`s because phaneuf seems to be playing at 50-60% of his potential. I think leafs can win this deal if phaneuf starts playng 100% again. He was up for calder in the year where you had crosby/ovie in contention as well.

As for leafs need offense not defense. I think they need both. Their pk is pitiful and with the core of Kaberle, Phaneuf, Komi, Schenn, Beauchmin and Gunnerson it seems to look solid. Not to mention Aulie in minors. This also gives players like Stalberg, Hanson get more minutes to prove themselves as NHLers.

I think both teams benefit from this trade.
Old 01-31-2010 at 10:24 PM   #245
Bumchoda

Liked: 3 Times

as much as i used to love Kaberle, i think its time they traded him for a "Captainesque" centre to play with kessel
Old 02-03-2010 at 04:11 PM   #246
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

A very strong game from the leafs last night. Phaneuf set the tone with the two hits and a fight in the first 5 mins of the game, and the crowd was loving Phaneuf. Also, a great game by giguere as well although our defense was pretty solid. The team actually looked as if they had life unlike most of their older games where it seems like they are not even there.
Hopefully, by the addition of phaneuf, the defense of other teams would stop triple/double menning kessel on the powerplay and give him a lil bit more breating room to operate.
Lastly, phaneuf seems to be a leader (too early to tell) but according to RW phaneuf was acting like the main leader in the locker room during periods. He seems to be like Roberts unlike sundin (roberts pushed other players on the team to put in more effort, while sundin would carry the team on his back; although both were great leaders in their own way), and I wont be surprised if phaneuf is made captain next season if he continues his strong play.

Last edited by ice8 : 02-03-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2010 at 05:01 PM   #247
Werd

Liked: 16 Times

That trade is exactly what we needed. White was a great, consistent defenceman, and Hagman was a good but streaky scorer. The thing that is missing from these players, is that they lacked character. That is exactly what Phaneuf brings to the table. The first thing he did when he walked in to the Leafs dressing rooms is asked "wheres the music" and tossed on his Ipod. He completely changed the dynamic of the game last night and in addition to this, I saw Luke Schenn play with more confidence than I have seen in a very long time. Phaneuf is the type of player that makes everyone around him better.
Old 02-03-2010 at 05:35 PM   #248
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

now we need some good forwards
Old 02-03-2010 at 07:39 PM   #249
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I agree the trade was well worth it, if the players play like they have know to be.

Quote:
Just gave up a lot of scoring for more defense which they don't really
Lol. Yes they gave up scoring but atleast now they have a better chance at holding a lead .
Old 02-03-2010 at 07:48 PM   #250
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

yea, the trade was definitely good for the leafs. first time in a long time where we got players who weren't past their prime and grossly overpaid.
Old 02-04-2010 at 01:47 PM   #251
knox

Liked: 15 Times

If the Leafs had more cap space they could try and grab Kovalchuck, but he wants somewhere around 10M a year.

Surprised we didn't lose our 2013-14 first round picks for Phaneuf.
Old 02-04-2010 at 04:00 PM   #252
Bumchoda

Liked: 3 Times

kovy is headed to a playoff team this year because he can only be a rental for the remainder of the season, then he is going to be an unrestriced free agent in the summer. And there is no way burke will be willing to trade a boatload of picks and players for a player that might sign with another team at the end of the season.
Old 02-04-2010 at 05:23 PM   #253
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Kovy aint worth it..and the entire league knows it..only Sutter would be dumb enough to get him for 11mil a yr..after all, he collected a lot of garbage from Toronto for Dion Phaneuf

There's a reason why Burke is GM of team USA..though they might not reach the podium, he's a smart guy..