MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level II Bio programs Yashoda Academics 1 03-10-2011 01:10 PM
When are we accepted to level 2 programs? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 05-13-2010 02:44 PM
Bio/life sci programs in level II mtristani Academics 12 03-10-2010 10:15 PM
Level II Programs? Mr.Prodigy Academics 5 03-29-2009 10:56 PM
Level II Programs James Academics 2 02-26-2009 03:03 PM

Level 2 science programs

Old 03-23-2011 at 11:55 AM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Level 2 science programs
hey there so i had a couple opinion based questions about some level 2 programs im interested in. ( btw. ive already gone to academic counselor for the detailed info i just want to know the opinions of those already in the programs im about to mention)

so the programs im interested in are the following: H. Bio, H. Life Sci, and H. Bio(w/ physio specialization)

here some questions i have about each program:
H. biology
- how do you like the program?
- what is the difficulty of the course material
- what do you plan on doing once your done under grad ( med school or masters or direct job)
- what kind of job are you looking at getting ( i ask this cus when i asked the counselor they gave me this sheet with a bunch of jobs on it which are really general and doesn't help a lot)
- what are some really interesting courses that you've taken in second year and above
- what are some easy/bird courses you've taken or know of in this program

H. biology (w/ physio)
same questions as H. bio +.....
- what kind of material do you learn and is the focus on little things like cells or do you also look at the big picture
- i dont think you can really compare but are the courses designed for physio component harder then normal bio ones
- what do you plan on doing once you graduate ( basically the same q as above)
- any other useful info would be appreciated

H. life sci
* same questions as H.bio +...
- well the main thing im concerned with this one is what exactly are you planning on doing after undergrad. i know that life sci is generally open and you have a lot of flexibility in how you want to go about it, but like one can graduate with random courses and im having trouble seeing what one can do with this afterwords.

- yea i think those are all the questions i have for now

i mostly just want to know peoples opions on their programs and what they plan on doing in the long run so that i can decide whats best for me and where i want to end me in the end, weather it be med school ( which i highly doubt cough cough), going for a masters, or looking for direct entry into a job somewhere

thanks in advance for all the info

~k
Old 03-23-2011 at 01:06 PM   #2
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

It doesn't really matter which one you major in. At the end of the day, it's the courses you took and the grades you received in them that matters.
Old 03-23-2011 at 07:21 PM   #3
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post

here some questions i have about each program:
H. biology
- how do you like the program?
- what is the difficulty of the course material
- what do you plan on doing once your done under grad ( med school or masters or direct job)
- what kind of job are you looking at getting ( i ask this cus when i asked the counselor they gave me this sheet with a bunch of jobs on it which are really general and doesn't help a lot)
- what are some really interesting courses that you've taken in second year and above
- what are some easy/bird courses you've taken or know of in this program
-the program is REALLY general, I don't think its much different from Life sci except that you get the hon bio as opposed to life sci. also you have to take more bio courses, but there is plenty of space for electives. (i'm assuming you are asking about just general honors bio w/o specialization). if you want a more close knit program where you know people in your program then perhaps the specializations would be better (ex. physio, mol bio/genetics etc.)

-difficulty really depends on the courses you choose. of course in 2nd year you will have to take the typical microbio, physiology, organic chem which can be difficult, but you can supplement these with easier courses. just to give u an idea i did a minor in psych, so there was plenty of space in my degree reqs to be able to fill the psych minor.

-after undergrad: pharmacy school

-job: pharmacist

-courses:
2nd year: psych 2C03 (social psych), bio 2B03 (cell bio - extremely useful/interesting), bio 2c03 (genetics - useful/fun)
3rd year: Psych 3AC3 (human sexuality), Bio 3AA3 (pharmacology), Health Sci 3K03 (virology), Hth sci 3I03 (immunology)
4th year: Mol bio 4H03 (Cancer) = highly interesting, but brutal
Hth sci 4II3 (advanced immunology) = FANTASTIC

-bird courses is subjective, but for me i found the psych courses to be very easy -especially those with ostovich but it depends
-courses w/ Dr. Dej (ex. bio 2B03, 2C03, life sci 2A03, mol bio 3HH3) tend to be easy - again this is subjective.

Last edited by SciMania : 03-23-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Chevalier says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 03-23-2011 at 07:50 PM   #4
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Are people THAT afraid of chemistry? =(
Old 03-23-2011 at 07:54 PM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Speaking of which, do you know the cutoff's for Chem, Serene?
Old 03-23-2011 at 08:00 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
and physics??? :(
Old 03-23-2011 at 08:04 PM   #7
Serene
Elite Member

Is there even a "cutoff"?? All you need is a 6, and the will to say goodbye to your GPA

The chemistry program is no where near full capacity (unlike bio/life sci side), we only began with 22 people this year.

justinsftw says thanks to Serene for this post.
Old 03-23-2011 at 08:07 PM   #8
Serene
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
and physics??? :(
No question lol PHYSICS IS EVIL!!!!!

You can tell from the engineers, after being tormented by physics and math for so long they all turn weird and deranged.
Old 03-23-2011 at 08:08 PM   #9
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Chem should just put up posters with stuff like:

Honours Chemistry, The Best Way to Get Into Med School.

The applications would never stop coming in

alh24, justinsftw like this.
Old 03-23-2011 at 08:10 PM   #10
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
No question lol PHYSICS IS EVIL!!!!!

You can tell from the engineers, after being tormented by physics and math for so long they all turn weird and deranged.
Pretty sure most of them start that way.

I await the wrath of the engies.
Old 03-24-2011 at 08:30 AM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
yes...yes i am definitely afraid of chem that's why i plan on summer schooling orgo1 at least
Old 03-25-2011 at 04:43 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
yes...yes i am definitely afraid of chem that's why i plan on summer schooling orgo1 at least
Either do them both in the summer, or both during the normal school year. If you do 2OA3 in the summer, you will definitely have forgotten everything by the time you take 2OB3. There was a girl in one of the tutorials I went to in 2OB3 who had done that...and she was so screwed

Chevalier, RememberTwce all say thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 03-25-2011 at 06:48 PM   #13
Chevalier
Elite Member

huh i c, is 20b3 offered first term? does anyone know
Old 03-25-2011 at 06:51 PM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
huh i c, is 20b3 offered first term? does anyone know
No, never. 2OA3 is first term and 2OB3 is second term...hence the problem.
Old 03-25-2011 at 06:56 PM   #15
Chevalier
Elite Member

dam, im not too good at chem so i planned on summer schooling the first part atleast cus aparently its easier, but now i have to take it during the year and make it screw up my avg again i hate my life :(