MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM
Email Etiquette lorend Technology 9 05-26-2008 10:24 PM
Meals And Manners Etiquette Dinner Event Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-10-2008 07:39 PM
Meals And Manners ~ Etiquette Dinner 2007 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-17-2007 11:10 AM

Library Etiquette: Rant

Old 12-05-2009 at 10:37 AM   #31
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Not really on topic, but kinda related to what FireDragoon has to say. If you are person under attack you are not supposed to cry for "help!" but "fire!". Some people just assume when someone says help, they may be kidding. (i.e. drunk kids yelling help for no apparent reason) When people yell fire, everybody comes running to the rescue because they think it to be real. Just something I learned from a movie, thought I should share it.

If someone yells fire, don't people go runnning out the closest door?

soomroau likes this.
Old 12-05-2009 at 11:28 AM   #32
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Not really on topic, but kinda related to what FireDragoon has to say. If you are person under attack you are not supposed to cry for "help!" but "fire!". Some people just assume when someone says help, they may be kidding. (i.e. drunk kids yelling help for no apparent reason) When people yell fire, everybody comes running to the rescue because they think it to be real. Just something I learned from a movie, thought I should share it.
You're right that people are supposed to yell "fire" when they're in danger (for example, if a girl is being attacked in a parking lot), but it's not because people might think she's joking if she yells "help".

People generally aren't willing to risk their lives for strangers. If a girl yells "HELP! I'm being attacked!", someone might not want to help her because they're risking their own life. But if she yells "FIRE!", everyone in the neighbourhood runs outside to see what's going on. Then she'll be more likely to have someone call the police or help.
Old 12-05-2009 at 03:55 PM   #33
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

we should have like some sort of library patrol going around and kicking ppl out if they do not have Library etiquette LOL~

Afzal likes this.
Old 12-05-2009 at 05:05 PM   #34
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syan9184 View Post
we should have like some sort of library patrol going around and kicking ppl out if they do not have Library etiquette LOL~
I'll do it!
Old 12-05-2009 at 08:28 PM   #35
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Ughh I was studying at Mill's today and the girl next to me takes out a HUGE bag of carrots and starts eating it. Super loudly. It took her 2 hours to finish, and she was eating nonstop. Ugh ugh ugh.
Old 12-05-2009 at 08:35 PM   #36
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
This sounds terribly familiar, but I can't remember what movie it was from. =\

On-topic: People who smoke right under the "No smoking within 9 meters of this building" sign outside Thode. I'm anti-smoking in general, but this really pisses me off. Also people who smoke at bus stops, though this isn't really "Library etiquette".

My attempt to be considerate: I know the weather's bad sometimes, but if it's raining, then just...don't smoke.

Afzal, manaya like this.
Old 12-05-2009 at 08:39 PM   #37
creen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
Ughh I was studying at Mill's today and the girl next to me takes out a HUGE bag of carrots and starts eating it. Super loudly. It took her 2 hours to finish, and she was eating nonstop. Ugh ugh ugh.
Man oh man, that is REEEEdiculous, did she chomp on them, with her mouth open, I friggin hate that. You should have said something!

Unfortuneatly you can eat in the library but not beg! There is a list of allowed and prohibited activities and amazingly Cellphones are actually banned!

4. CELL PHONES: Cellular telephones are prohibited except in clearly marked "Phone Friendly Zones"(Mills: 1st Floor Lobby, 4th Floor lobby; Thode: Lobby; Innis: Cell phones not permitted.) Cell phones must be turned off or set to vibrate upon entering the library.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/policies/behaviour

They should ban loud food as well, only quite foods, like break, rice, icecream, peanut butter, margarine, big turk, milk, pasta etc....
Old 12-05-2009 at 09:01 PM   #38
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Back in my day, food was banned entirely from the library.
Old 12-06-2009 at 01:14 AM   #39
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

I deff agree with most of these:
Also people who smell sooo strongly of cigarette smoke and sit right beside you..eww
EVERY time I`m in thode first floor these engineer guys sit and do their assignment and talk..which I have no problem whith since the first floor isn`t quiete study but its soo rude how they always have a million profanities that they loudly express to their friends or about `banging chick`s` TMI guys, keep the study floor G rated lol

manaya likes this.
Old 12-06-2009 at 01:28 AM   #40
creen

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
`banging chick`s` TMI guys, keep the study floor G rated lol
It's the guys bragging that aren't getting any! Wonder why that might be....
Old 12-06-2009 at 05:59 AM   #41
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

You know people are loud in the library when a large number of posts on "Overheard at McMaster" are of people talking in the library. Keep the stupid and silly conversations to yourselves or save it so that you are overheard outside of the library.

Last edited by Nino : 12-06-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2009 at 10:18 PM   #42
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Today I was trying to study in the library and then 5 girls came and would not shut up. I asked them to be quiet because I was trying to study and they just kept talking, so I moved:( They were having a party there and talking about everything but school.
Old 12-10-2009 at 10:22 PM   #43
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
I deff agree with most of these:
Also people who smell sooo strongly of cigarette smoke and sit right beside you..eww
EVERY time I`m in thode first floor these engineer guys sit and do their assignment and talk..which I have no problem whith since the first floor isn`t quiete study but its soo rude how they always have a million profanities that they loudly express to their friends or about `banging chick`s` TMI guys, keep the study floor G rated lol
The most troubling thing about this is that you used "engineer" and "banging chicks" in the same sentence.
Old 12-10-2009 at 10:30 PM   #44
creen

I have another one to add!

You can't just leave your jacket on the back of a chair and some notebook you dont care about and expect your seat to be there 4 hours later, some girl did this and was gone the whole time I was at the next desk. 15 minutes 1/2 hour sure you wanna stretch your legs, or grab somethin to eat but 4 hours come on.

next time im turn your stuff in to lost and found ya *******

Rossclot, xo.monica like this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 01:16 AM   #45
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

I wish people wouldnt try to hoard computers like that.

I dont have the financial resources to afford a computer, so I have to use the school computers. I cant stand when people just spread their shit over a desk like they are claiming it. I wouldnt be surprised if it eventually degraded to people peeing all over the desks to mark them with their musk.

Sometimes to be an ass I shut down the computer so people will think it is broken. Not to save it for later, not hoarding, just when I am done so it will cool down. It is mean of me, but frankly you should always try to turn it on. People walk by, shake the mouse, and leave. I'm delightfully evil.

Taunton likes this.