MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do you have to take physics in highschol to get into life/health sciences? janom93 Introduce Yourself 3 12-02-2010 08:26 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sciences vs. Arts and Sciences - advice anyone? ktc11 Academics 3 05-19-2010 08:47 PM
Life Sciences or Health Science? Shagana First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-17-2009 07:10 PM

life/health sciences

Old 12-03-2010 at 02:23 PM   #16
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Is it true that Health Sci students have access to old finals for orgo chem despite the chem department's protests?

If it is true, then its reason enough to go into that program. Seriously.
Old 12-03-2010 at 03:05 PM   #17
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

1) Improve your spelling and grammar,
2) All the above.
Old 12-03-2010 at 07:33 PM   #18
mlangille

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Is it true that Health Sci students have access to old finals for orgo chem despite the chem department's protests?

either that or go into Life Sci and befriend a health sci or two

and my two cents for this discussion:

both are good programs- to reiterate what other people said, if you are 100% set on med school then go for health sci, if you want to keep your options open go for life sci.

IMO/ my suggestion is maybe start first year in life sci and see how much you like it (i.e. do you love it enough to go through with 8+ years of school and training) and if you answer yes to that then apply to transfer to health sci in second year- i believe 20-40 students are accepted to transfer and you need a minimum average of 9.5 and a supplementary application I believe. But if you enjoy the diversity of life sci then stick with it.

If you end up coming to mac there is also a group/club called the McMaster Medicine and Health Society- they have various presentations from med schools and other health related professional schools as well as the hospital has volunteer opportunities that can help you make your decision.

In my personal experience, I stuck with life sci since I liked the freedom in course choices and when 4th year comes in thesis options
Old 12-03-2010 at 07:35 PM   #19
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangille View Post
apply to transfer to health sci in second year- i believe 20-40 students are accepted to transfer
I'm fairly sure its much less than that-this year I'm pretty sure we had 14 transfers.

Old 12-03-2010 at 07:46 PM   #20
mlangille

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
I'm fairly sure its much less than that-this year I'm pretty sure we had 14 transfers.
my mistake then- i was just going off what I was told my an academic advisor at the Associate Dean of Science office or might have that number mixed up with how many people are accepted into the Accelerated Nursing stream
Old 12-03-2010 at 07:48 PM   #21
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:

It is, my chem prof mentioned it a while back. Basically, Health Scis get access to LearnLink (its similar to Avenue), and they seem to get away with almost everything on it (Mac's baby program, right?). Like old exams that should not be floating around, as well as other less than honest things I've heard muttered about in lecture from time to time.

It's an unfair advantage, and I've heard talk from profs that it was supposed to be dismantled. Big surprise - it wasn't.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:04 PM   #22
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangille View Post
my mistake then- i was just going off what I was told my an academic advisor at the Associate Dean of Science office or might have that number mixed up with how many people are accepted into the Accelerated Nursing stream
Maybe you are right, I have no idea . I'm just going off of what I've heard/what happened this year.

Old 12-03-2010 at 08:04 PM   #23
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
It is, my chem prof mentioned it a while back. Basically, Health Scis get access to LearnLink (its similar to Avenue), and they seem to get away with almost everything on it (Mac's baby program, right?). Like old exams that should not be floating around, as well as other less than honest things I've heard muttered about in lecture from time to time.

It's an unfair advantage, and I've heard talk from profs that it was supposed to be dismantled. Big surprise - it wasn't.
My optometrist told me that that health science as a program is only here to make mac's medical school look good (i.e. the 'pre-med' vibe)

Edit: actually scratch that, it wasn't a professor, it was my optometrist

Last edited by Kendoon : 12-03-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:16 PM   #24
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:

Using LearnLink is punishment enough- its super outdated software, with next to no functionality. Once all the features that A2L has are unlocked (right now there's a lot that are still closed), it will be a lot better than LearnLink.

I mean, don't get me wrong- the community aspects of it are kindof cool. But in terms of software design, its dreadful.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:22 PM   #25
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Using LearnLink is punishment enough- its super outdated software, with next to no functionality. Once all the features that A2L has are unlocked (right now there's a lot that are still closed), it will be a lot better than LearnLink.

I mean, don't get me wrong- the community aspects of it are kindof cool. But in terms of software design, its dreadful.
This is true, I don't think many of us are directly hating on health sciences, we're just jealous that they get ANY type of truly unnecessary special treatment/advantage (as much as anyone would like to deny it). Personally I'm not sure why it matters, I've had a lot less issues with dipshitty HS students than I have with engineers and "ZOMG MED SK00L" LS/BIO students..

Old 12-03-2010 at 08:24 PM   #26
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post

really is that the issue here? the kids are in a way getting away with academic honesty and your concerned with the way the medium by which they're recieving the info, smh
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:48 PM   #27
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:

Yep, sadly it's true :(. An advantage for sure though!
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:09 PM   #28
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:

I think the reason for this is because on LearnLink, we (the students) have access to a folder called "Health Sci Students Only", and through this, one can access said old tests. This folder supposedly cannot be accessed by the BHSc office staff or the faculty staff, so if the passing on of tests was supposed to be dismantled, it would be pretty difficult to do so.

In any case, I myself haven't used any of the old notes or tests that have been posted on LearnLink, as I personally think it's unfair for me to have such a significant advantage over other students. So far I've only used the old tests that the professors themselves have posted on their websites (I'm talking about non-Health Sci courses like Math 1A03 and Chem 1A03), which all students in the course have access to.

However, I can't speak for all BHSc students.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:37 PM   #29
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

1. In my Medical Class in Toronto, we have about 20 Mac Health Sci Students, out of 224. The rest are mainly science students from other Universities.
2. The Health Science program, despite the concerns of spoon feeding/easy marks, is excellent preparation for medical school. The courses very relevant, especially health policy and anatomy and physiology, which you won't get much of in Life Sci.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:39 PM   #30
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
1. In my Medical Class in Toronto, we have about 20 Mac Health Sci Students, out of 224. The rest are mainly science students from other Universities.
2. The Health Science program, despite the concerns of spoon feeding/easy marks, is excellent preparation for medical school. The courses very relevant, especially health policy and anatomy and physiology, which you won't get much of in Life Sci.
True, unless you take kinesiology, anatomy/physiology and the odd upper year health science course. It REALLY doesn't take much to learn anatomy/physiology properly and to apply it if you're willing to invest in some models/take courses that give you access to cadavers, and health policy is often ignorable

It really does depend on the person, but I see what you're saying.