MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life sciences admission question TC0923 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 11-11-2010 10:09 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-08-2010 09:48 PM
Life Science Admission pepperminte First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 03-24-2010 11:38 AM

Life Science And Kin Admission Crisis!

Old 01-29-2011 at 10:57 AM   #31
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Introductions on the first day of English tutorials.

Random girl: Hi, my name _____________, and I should be in 3rd year Commerce, but I decided I have morals, so I switched to Humanities. Haven't regretted it.

lizziepizzie's story is plausible.

lol, that's funny. I've falling into throwing out a bunch of short forms for History tutorials... my program's name is too long, and if I just say Phys, people think I'm in Kin... "Hi, I'm in Bio Phys Spec, but I'm minoring in this"
Old 01-29-2011 at 11:05 AM   #32
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
lol, that's funny. I've falling into throwing out a bunch of short forms for History tutorials... my program's name is too long, and if I just say Phys, people think I'm in Kin... "Hi, I'm in Bio Phys Spec, but I'm minoring in this"

No no, my dear. Take the time to say your program. Enunciate everything. Anyone who disapproves of this behavior must be stared down.
Old 01-29-2011 at 11:24 AM   #33
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I remember the weird looks I got as a Kin kid in Humanities 2C03 this summer. People seem surprised that I actually participated (constructively) in class discussions and seemed to understand the material.
Old 01-29-2011 at 11:28 AM   #34
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I remember the weird looks I got as a Kin kid in Humanities 2C03 this summer. People seem surprised that I actually participated (constructively) in class discussions and seemed to understand the material.

In our defense, we haven't met many who can.
Old 01-29-2011 at 12:07 PM   #35
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

im quite sure that your chem mark will be considered in calculating admission average for life sci... as it is one of the requirements to get into the program. not 100% sure tho.
Old 01-29-2011 at 12:21 PM   #36
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

I'm at least 99% sure that it is.
Old 01-29-2011 at 12:25 PM   #37
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /forms/canad.php

If you look it up here, it looks as though either one of Chemistry, Physics, or Calculus must be included in this, but not necessarily Chemistry.
Old 01-29-2011 at 12:38 PM   #38
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Apparently there's been an unusual spike in applications, so the cut-offs will probably keep with the increasing trend there's been of late...

Old 01-29-2011 at 01:24 PM   #39
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /forms/canad.php

If you look it up here, it looks as though either one of Chemistry, Physics, or Calculus must be included in this, but not necessarily Chemistry.
You`re right. It's been a year since I actually cared about this. That's what the 1% was for.

And your avatar is the one where he and Michael go and fight in the dojo, am I right?
Old 01-29-2011 at 01:41 PM   #40
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
You`re right. It's been a year since I actually cared about this. That's what the 1% was for.

And your avatar is the one where he and Michael go and fight in the dojo, am I right?
You bet it is
Old 01-29-2011 at 01:50 PM   #41
jubjubhubba

Liked: 0 Times

So basically.. If i get like 90+ on every course next semester and get like 88 avg im good right?
And my biomark is only low b/c I reallllllllllllyyy slackkkeddddd offf, and didn't pay attention in class, as my teacher didn't do anything at all. (i know I shouldn't blame anyone but myself) I pretty much just read throught the text book, the day before tests and such. And I would much rather go for kin then life sci. One more thing. Will mac penalize me for the 68 in bio? b/c schools like waterloo require u to have atleast a 70 in all courses. Does mac do that too?
Old 01-29-2011 at 01:54 PM   #42
mcmasterrrrr

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjubhubba View Post
So basically.. If i get like 90+ on every course next semester and get
Yeah.......... but, lets be realistic here.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:07 PM  
NickiMinaj

Liked: Liked 5 Times

Quote:

1st semester
bio-68
chem- 72
religion- 83
functions - 86
N*gga u ****ed.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:45 PM   #43
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
So basically.. If i get like 90+ on every course next semester and get like 88 avg im good right?
And my biomark is only low b/c I reallllllllllllyyy slackkkeddddd offf, and didn't pay attention in class, as my teacher didn't do anything at all. (i know I shouldn't blame anyone but myself) I pretty much just read throught the text book, the day before tests and such. And I would much rather go for kin then life sci. One more thing. Will mac penalize me for the 68 in bio? b/c schools like waterloo require u to have atleast a 70 in all courses. Does mac do that too?
No they won't penalize you for the bio mark alone. Nowhere do they say that they look at individual marks or expect a certain minimum percentage in a course for admission.

If you manage to pull off an 88 average that would be amazing but you should set realistic goals for yourself. It's hard to go from 70s to 90s from one semester to the next unless you drastically change your study habits. I honestly don't think this takes just one term, it took me a whole year of university to figure out how to change things. Not saying that you can't do it, but just make sure you are not setting yourself up for disappointment

Also, there's nothing wrong with staying back to improve your grades, as was already mentioned. You'll be a little bit more mature in a year and maybe more ready to go to university. If you don't make it in this year and Mac is really what you want then I would recommend doing this and focusing on how to really improve your study habits.

In the grand scheme of things, 1 year is nothing. However, if you come to university and royally screw up one year, and find out you're not happy in your program it will be EXTREMELY difficult to transfer into another program if your 1st year grades are not good...

Last edited by SciMania : 01-29-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:51 PM   #44
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its not too difficult to go to 90s from 70s if you remove all the distractions...

I played counter strike and other bullshit my last year of highschool... bad idea..