MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission to McMaster (Life Sciences and Health Sciences) Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 03-20-2012 10:49 PM
Social Sciences --> Life Science Courses JamesMonroe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-25-2011 11:08 AM
Second year Life Sciences- taking only 4 courses second term pink_cupcake Academics 2 07-13-2010 10:48 PM
What courses do I need to get into life sciences? hassan09 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-10-2010 10:45 PM
ALL Life Sciences II courses full...? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-30-2009 05:07 AM

Life Sciences 1 Courses

Old 05-20-2012 at 05:59 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
I think he/she will still need to take PSYCH to meet the requirements for Life Sciences I.

"9 units from BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03, PSYCH 1X03, 1XX3"

Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
yea they say that but once you get here, first year is just about having the prereqs for the programs you wish to go in to. you can come and in the first week of school you can change psych to something else even if youre in life sci. i wish i knew of that.
I would highly suggest the OP to confirm with an academic advisor. The programs clearly say "completion of level I program" which would mean you have to take all the prerequisites for Life Sciences I.
Old 05-20-2012 at 06:18 PM   #17
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Unless you're looking into a minor in math I wouldn't take that many math classes especially in first year. you can always take 1B03 or any other first year math in second year as well.
Old 05-20-2012 at 06:24 PM   #18
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Okay, then I might not take MATH 1LT3. is it a prerequisite for anything though?
Not the level 2 programs you're interested in, but some professional schools want a full year of math, so you'd need 1LT3 for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I would highly suggest the OP to confirm with an academic advisor. The programs clearly say "completion of level I program" which would mean you have to take all the prerequisites for Life Sciences I.
With the courses the OP has set out, they'd technically complete Physical Sciences I. It's totally fine, I have friends who did that while being registered in Life Sciences I, and it doesn't matter at all.

Anyways, something that I learned by the end of first term of university is not to listen to people who tell me not to take courses because they're "hard" (ie math 1A03/1AA3, physics 1B03) and to take the easier version instead. Those people know nothing about what I'm capable of, or that I'm looking to learn something and not just take the easiest course possible to satisfy some prereq, or that the courses they're telling me NOT to take will actually end up being required later on. Everyone says they're hard, but a thousand people take these courses every year and most of them do fine...but even if they don't, they're not me.

jhan523 likes this.
Old 05-20-2012 at 06:37 PM   #19
Unregistered

I'm not too worried about how difficult a course is. What is the difference between MATH 1A03 and 1LS3?
Old 05-20-2012 at 07:38 PM   #20
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

yea, jhan, it doesnt matter.

and math 1a03 is pretty much all integration with some theory and other stuff early on. from what i hear, ls3 is more of a review of gr 12 with some new stuff i hear. generally 1a03 is considered tougher and is recommended more so if you wanna go into physics or something. both math 1ls3 and 1a03 serve the same purposes though for prereqs, 1a03 gets into some more stuff that i see benefiting you more if you go into a math and physics heavy program.
Old 05-20-2012 at 07:40 PM   #21
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

MATH 1A03 has the reputation of being 'harder'. It goes into a lot more detail on integration techniques, and applications of integrations, Riemen sums, etc... with a smaller amount of time devoted to review like derivatives and optimization and that kind of thing. You can look around for course outlines from the math department if you want more detail on the differences in topics. I took 1A03 and not 1LS3 so I cannot comment on why 1LS3 is so much easier. I do know that integration is covered, just probably not to the same extent.
Old 05-20-2012 at 09:04 PM   #22
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Math 1LS3/1LT3 is called Calculus for the Life Sciences and decides to introduce concepts much more easily applicable for the life sciences.

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/lovric/1...tlineph.h tml

The above link is the course outline for 1LS3/1LT3, although I'm not sure how old it is (I think 2011).
I took 1A03/1AA3 and I already see some topics that I haven't been introduced to such as Discrete-Time Dynamical System, Modelling Using Elementary functions, and Probability and Statistics. They already sound like they are more applicable to the life sciences. From what I can remember in 1A03, we did indeed cover integration to a greater extent and in 1AA3 it continued to introduce other topics in calculus.

But overall your course selection does ultimately come down to prereqs for level II programs and what you'd like some exposure to that will help you decide what level II program you want to go into.