MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weight loss plans **jewel 03** Body & Food 7 05-18-2011 03:18 PM
weight loss competition for money? kquan21 Body & Food 1 03-11-2011 12:42 AM
posters about weight loss competition for money? kquan21 General Discussion 2 02-11-2011 09:54 PM
MUSS losing emails cowpuppy Computers & Tech 14 08-02-2010 02:00 PM
Paranoid about losing my acceptance. olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 09:53 PM

Losing weight

Old 02-12-2011 at 05:32 PM   #1
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Losing weight
hey so I would like to lose some weight by the end of April, specifically get a flatter stomach, and I was wondering which is the best way to go about it (other than the general eat healthy and exercise advice). So what do you guys suggest I do? I am a 5'3 girl if that helps, and please only useful suggestions, thanks
Old 02-12-2011 at 05:35 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by **jewel 03** View Post
hey so I would like to lose some weight by the end of April, specifically get a flatter stomach, and I was wondering which is the best way to go about it (other than the general eat healthy and exercise advice). So what do you guys suggest I do? I am a 5'3 girl if that helps, and please only useful suggestions, thanks
Go clubbing everyday and stop eating and if you feel like you're about to faint, eat a cube of cheese *devil wear's prada reference*

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 02-12-2011 at 05:37 PM   #3
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Stop drinking and sitting on your a55 all day. Kidding

Well am I now

How much do you weigh ?
Old 02-12-2011 at 05:39 PM   #4
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Go clubbing everyday and stop eating and if you feel like you're about to faint, eat a cube of cheese *devil wear's prada reference*
People tend to drink alcohol at clubs though for the confidence boost needed to dance in front of people.

I know the original poster wanted advice that isn't eat healthy and exercise. But those two are the key to losing weight.

Just remind yourself that calories in must be less than calories use.

Or an analogy of money. To get rid of money you need to spend more than you put in.

Good luck on your quest to losing weight! I know you want a flatter stomach, but remember, you can not specify how your body lose its weight. So no 100000 x crunches, okay?
Old 02-12-2011 at 05:45 PM   #5
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Good luck on your quest to losing weight! I know you want a flatter stomach, but remember, you can not specify how your body lose its weight. So no 100000 x crunches, okay?
To add to that, by doing crunches and other abdominal exercises, you will be strengthening the abdominal muscles, which will help in getting you that toned look once your body gets rid of the layer of fat that is covering it.
Old 02-12-2011 at 05:48 PM   #6
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
You can't just target a flatter stomach. You need to cut your overall body fat percentage.

As previously stated that means taking in less calories than you intake. In rough math, 3500 calories = 1 lb, so if you eat 500 less calories than your suggested per day, you should lose a pound per week. Start there. Get an online calculator for your suggested intake, and cut 500 out of that.

Feel free to ask me if you want to know anything else or more specifics, I lost weight from 275 to 195 (and about 13% bodyfat) a couple years back, so I have a fairly good idea how the weight loss game works

Kerbs likes this.
Old 02-12-2011 at 05:56 PM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Feel free to ask me if you want to know anything else or more specifics, I lost weight from 275 to 195 (and about 13% bodyfat) a couple years back, so I have a fairly good idea how the weight loss game works
Congrat on that achievement. Were you able to keep the pounds off until now?
Old 02-12-2011 at 06:02 PM   #8
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
(other than the general eat healthy and exercise advice)
There was this one guy who lost weight while eating a diet that was solely junk food. He just counted calories.

So you don't need to necessarily "eat healthy"... But you really should...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Hi five! I lost roughly the same amount a while back!

(I've since gained like 20 pounds since 2nd year though =/)
Old 02-12-2011 at 06:13 PM   #9
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

One simple way to lose weight is to carry a water bottle with you. You might have to go to the bathroom more than you are used to but you will lose weight especially around the flabby area!

Another good way to lose weight is to eat fruits instead of chips, fries, and other unhealthy snacks. Oh, don't eat late at night...try to eat your dinner by 7pm. If you are hungry and can't resist, try eating nuts and almonds. They can fill you up with a small amount. Try to eat 2-3 times a day. Sleeping well actually help with losing weight. Another good advice I can think of is to just stop worrying about it too much. Stop checking how much you lost every day. You will naturally lose weight (and see your progression) if you follow simple steps I meantioned above..as long as your check your scale once a month or so.
Old 02-12-2011 at 06:23 PM   #10
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
One simple way to lose weight is to carry a water bottle with you. You might have to go to the bathroom more than you are used to but you will lose weight especially around the flabby area!

Another good way to lose weight is to eat fruits instead of chips, fries, and other unhealthy snacks. Oh, don't eat late at night...try to eat your dinner by 7pm. If you are hungry and can't resist, try eating nuts and almonds. They can fill you up with a small amount. Try to eat 2-3 times a day. Sleeping well actually help with losing weight. Another good advice I can think of is to just stop worrying about it too much. Stop checking how much you lost every day. You will naturally lose weight (and see your progression) if you follow simple steps I meantioned above..as long as your check your scale once a month or so.
1 - Could have just said drinking water instead of garbage with sugar = weight loss; instead of making it sound like carrying around a bottle of water and a pocket protector for your over-sized eagerness will make you thin.

2 - Foods high in casein protein (small portions of 1% cottage cheese, 1% milk) are better late at night if you are exercising and need a protein source that takes longer to be metabolized in order to sustain longer periods of muscle repair (re: over night). Not saying that nuts are wrong, but stuffing your face with almonds at 11:00 PM isn't always that appealing. Other, equally "light" (depending on amount) foods that are high in protein and essential fats, etc are also available.

3 - Nope. Eating smaller meals 4-7 times a day spaced out evenly and based on your activity levels (with snacks, like the nuts you mentioned) is far superior to 2 or 3 meals daily. We've heard it before, sometimes it has to be reiterated.

Last edited by Kendoon : 02-12-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 at 07:47 PM   #11
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
1 - Could have just said drinking water instead of garbage with sugar = weight loss; instead of making it sound like carrying around a bottle of water and a pocket protector for your over-sized eagerness will make you thin.

2 - Foods high in casein protein (small portions of 1% cottage cheese, 1% milk) are better late at night if you are exercising and need a protein source that takes longer to be metabolized in order to sustain longer periods of muscle repair (re: over night). Not saying that nuts are wrong, but stuffing your face with almonds at 11:00 PM isn't always that appealing. Other, equally "light" (depending on amount) foods that are high in protein and essential fats, etc are also available.

3 - Nope. Eating smaller meals 4-7 times a day spaced out evenly and based on your activity levels (with snacks, like the nuts you mentioned) is far superior to 2 or 3 meals daily. We've heard it before, sometimes it has to be reiterated.
My older brother lost ~30 pounds following what kendoon posted, so I'll testify that it is as sound in practice as it is in theory. However, few people like preparing food enough to make themselves 5 or 6 healthy small meals a day.

I myself am a skinny thing, and what I stick to is the following doctrine:

1) Only drink milk(not chocolate) or water with meals. No sugary drinks.
2) Make sure to get your recommended servings of fruits/veggies
3) Make sure to get your 8 hours of sleep
4) Make sure to get your 8 glasses of water. Having your recommended amount of water can speed up metabolism by as much as 3%.
Old 02-12-2011 at 07:55 PM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post

About 3, I think he meant try eating those nuts/snacks 2-3 times a day, not eating all your meals at only two or three times in a day.
Old 02-12-2011 at 07:58 PM   #13
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

the key to losing weight safely and easily is consistency. remember that new year's resolution to lose weight? chances are you have given up already after being discouraged by lack of results. when you change your diet keep in mind that your making a lifestyle change and are going to eat like this for the rest of your life, slowly but surely you will see results.

(look at the winners of the biggest losers, most of them are back to being fat, the point is anyone can lose weight in a certain environment, but if you aren't consistent you will be back to your fat self in no time (+ a couple more pounds), and gaining and losing weight like that isn't healthy.
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:06 PM   #14
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
About 3, I think he meant try eating those nuts/snacks 2-3 times a day, not eating all your meals at only two or three times in a day.
Do you know how bored I'd get of nuts 2-3 times a day? =_=

Old 02-12-2011 at 08:07 PM   #15
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I lost 50 pounds two summers ago and I didn't eat any healthier; I was always a fairly healthy eater, I just ate a lot. So what I did was maintain the diet I was on but ate less. And I exercised a hell of a lot. Like VIGOROURSLY. I had a trainer for a couple of months who was GREAT, I did a lot of toning exercises including weights, lunges, squats, push-ups, a ton of running (cardio) etc. It was a TON of work but was soooo worth it. I remember the first morning after my first training session, I woke up and practically fell out of my bed. Muscles I didn't know I had were burning. I'm trying to get back into it now because I slacked off this winter...

Anyways, weight gain is often a part of your social life; everyone's drinking and eating even when they're not hungry and FOR SURE you wanna eat just as much as your friends are! But we can't because we're not all built the same way. Don't you hate how some girls can eat a ton and never exercise and still weigh 105 lbs? It totally ticks me off. Not all of us can afford a trainer like I had, but you can do it yourself. They're really just there for motivation and getting you going. The Pulse offers trainers for $35/hour; even if you just did a couple sessions with one to get you started that may help.

Go ahead and ask me any questions you want, as a girl I have a much more similar body type as yours and can maybe help with some advice. Good luck, you can do it!!!

**jewel 03** says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.